Sponsored by:

Homelink during Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 11:03 AM
kim9701
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Homelink during Reverse

I think it's a common complaint that when the reverse camera is engaged, the Homelink button disappears so you had no way of closing the garage door. However, today, I noticed that the Homelink button is there on the right and it works. I am not sure if that was always there and I just noticed or not, but it's a great find for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by kim9701:
Smirnoff67 (02-16-2023), ZacapaXO (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 11:41 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes, this is a feature of the new PCM (2022+?). Those of us with older 992s still have to put into Park, or dismiss the camera window, to get back to the Homelink control.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:10 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

Received 917 Likes on 444 Posts

I just exit the camera more and use the homelink. Once you start reversing again the camera will reappear (or you can put it in neutral then reverse).
Old 02-15-2023, 12:17 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

I have my steering wheel diamond programmed for the door. When I back out I just hit the button and the door closes. I don’t believe I have ever used the PCM to open or close the door.
The following 5 users liked this post by dixonk:
ddelallata (02-15-2023), Fullyield (02-16-2023), garthg (02-16-2023), icanthelpit (02-15-2023), pfelsen (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:19 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

That feature is only good for the select lucky folks who were able to program their garage door opener. I have a 23 and gave up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
cota.kitty (02-18-2023), Smirnoff67 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:39 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I have my steering wheel diamond programmed for the door. When I back out I just hit the button and the door closes. I don’t believe I have ever used the PCM to open or close the door.
Same here. I also disabled the GPS function for homelink... annoyed me more than it benefiting.

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
That feature is only good for the select lucky folks who were able to program their garage door opener. I have a 23 and gave up.
Just curious, even after failing to connect, have you tried pressing it to see if it worked? When I was programming mine, it never actually completed the setup with many failed attempts to connect. But I tried pressing the programmed button just to see and it actually worked! It still works to this day even with not successfully completing the 'setup'
The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 12:46 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by woobiee
Same here. I also disabled the GPS function for homelink... annoyed me more than it benefiting.

Just curious, even after failing to connect, have you tried pressing it to see if it worked? When I was programming mine, it never actually completed the setup with many failed attempts to connect. But I tried pressing the programmed button just to see and it actually worked! It still works to this day even with not successfully completing the 'setup'
Not sure. Will try when I get in the mood for more frustration.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:09 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Do you have a MY22 or MY23 car? With MY20/21 unless there has been some sort of 'silent' update the programmed buttons do not work if the reversing camera is displayed.
Old 02-15-2023, 01:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I just programmed my Diamond button.
The following users liked this post:
pfelsen (02-15-2023)
Old 02-15-2023, 01:44 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
is that even possible, or is it a new MY thing? I thought hitting any progammed button just pops up the profile on the pcm and still makes you actually have to then tap the profile to open/close the door..
Old 02-15-2023, 02:05 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 970 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Do you have a MY22 or MY23 car? With MY20/21 unless there has been some sort of 'silent' update the programmed buttons do not work if the reversing camera is displayed.
Actually I've not tried pressing the button in reverse but I suspect it will work as well.

In my MY22 car, the diamond steering wheel button activates the garage door to open/close. Nothing displays on the PCM screen that notifies me that I pressed the button. When I first got this to work, I had the GPS function turned on for it, thinking it would automatically open/close my garage door when I got near my home. Instead, it just popped up the Homelink dialog window on screen for me to tap open/close when I got near my home. This was pretty useless to me. The window also covers everything as the top layer on the PCM and really got annoying. My current set up is GPS function off and I just to tap my diamond button on the wheel when my home is in view.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:30 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Actually I've not tried pressing the button in reverse but I suspect it will work as well.

In my MY22 car, the diamond steering wheel button activates the garage door to open/close. Nothing displays on the PCM screen that notifies me that I pressed the button. When I first got this to work, I had the GPS function turned on for it, thinking it would automatically open/close my garage door when I got near my home. Instead, it just popped up the Homelink dialog window on screen for me to tap open/close when I got near my home. This was pretty useless to me. The window also covers everything as the top layer on the PCM and really got annoying. My current set up is GPS function off and I just to tap my diamond button on the wheel when my home is in view.
Yes, that sounds like expected behavior for MY22 cars. For MY20 and 21 the reverse camera took priority over the diamond buttons, and pressing the diamond buttons always brings up the PCM display even if you only have one profile stored. For MY22 they presented the homelink button at all times in the PCM, and changed the diamond button behavior so if only one profile is saved pressing it sends the open/close signal. A vast improvement but still not perfect.
Old 02-15-2023, 02:50 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yes, that sounds like expected behavior for MY22 cars. For MY20 and 21 the reverse camera took priority over the diamond buttons, and pressing the diamond buttons always brings up the PCM display even if you only have one profile stored. For MY22 they presented the homelink button at all times in the PCM, and changed the diamond button behavior so if only one profile is saved pressing it sends the open/close signal. A vast improvement but still not perfect.
Thats how my 20' works and I wish it would not rely on the PCM to pop-up and just programming a diamond button actually opens/closes the one and only garage door programmed.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:21 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
is that even possible, or is it a new MY thing? I thought hitting any progammed button just pops up the profile on the pcm and still makes you actually have to then tap the profile to open/close the door..
Mine doesn’t do anything on the PCM when I press it. It acts just like the door opener remote and the door goes up or down. I have the GPS feature turned off to keep it from popping up on the screen though.
Old 02-15-2023, 03:28 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
My understanding is it will open the door if only a single door is programmed. If multiple doors are programmed, it will show the UI for selection.

Quick Reply: Homelink during Reverse