Venting! .the damn rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 07:16 PM
Cst
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Venting! .the damn rattles

MY22 C2 extended gas tank.6800miles

​​​​​​Need to vent and hopefully an educational update for others with the same issues....which is a whole lot of others.

Since I bought my car it's been increasingly rattling.. The dealer pulled the passenger door and changed the speaker and created a bunch of other rattles.
I have taken apart the door at least 8 times since and have basically "tied up" anything that could be the cause.
1. Speaker change2. Tighened the door handle screws3. Gorilla taped down all the free hanging wires4. Tighened up all other small screws.
much improved about 98%. May consider placing sound deading material to finish it off if anything comes back

Next...as seen in other posts....hitting the passenger side of the center console where your knee would be created a rattle. It was always a difused sound. I sware it was coming from the windshield area of the dash so it was impossible to find until I drove the car with the door panel removed...

I took apart the center console at least 4 times. Placed a shim underneath the Sirius radio box.....but the main culprit of the rattle turned out to be the fiber optic for the ambient
​​lighting. It was a little loosely placed. Placed 3m double sided tape and the rattle is gone!

there is a rattle when I hit the dash right above the driver's air vent....that rattle comes from behind the center tach I think. Thankfully I don't hear anything when I drive.

​​​Next...a new one...loud tapping noise like Morse code raditing up my steering wheel and footwell area. Was diving in upside down into the footwell for hours and taking apart the steering wheel and other stuff.....no luck.. I recorded the sound and seems similar to others with the gas tank rattle. Gave up and dropped the car off at the dealer for them to look. Seems to happen after I filled the gas tank 2/3 full. Because of the size of the extended range tank I haven't really filled it up ever to the max.

All my friends say buy a loud exhaust.....the rattle and Morse code noise will drive anyone insane......Plus the damn wind whistle at 50mph.

Never had any issues with my 991s. The 992 is a love/ hate relationship. The 991s were definitely a more a raw sports car experience..this 992 drives closer to a Camry....I don't want any rattles in my $100k++ Camry..lol...​
Old 02-10-2023, 08:02 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

You kind of lost me at "shim underneath the Sirius Radio box."
But you are finished with the "992 drives closer to a Camry" comment.
The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
incoming992s (02-18-2023), Staffie Guy (02-11-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 08:38 PM
Cst
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
You kind of lost me at "shim underneath the Sirius Radio box."
But you are finished with the "992 drives closer to a Camry" comment.
The radio box moves around in the plastic mount so I tightened it up.

I joke with my buddies about being a Camry because my 992 drives the smoothest and quietest over all our different gen 911s. ...
Old 02-10-2023, 10:59 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Cst
MY22 C2 extended gas tank.6800miles

​​​​​​Need to vent and hopefully an educational update for others with the same issues....which is a whole lot of others.

Since I bought my car it's been increasingly rattling.. The dealer pulled the passenger door and changed the speaker and created a bunch of other rattles.
I have taken apart the door at least 8 times since and have basically "tied up" anything that could be the cause.
1. Speaker change2. Tighened the door handle screws3. Gorilla taped down all the free hanging wires4. Tighened up all other small screws.
much improved about 98%. May consider placing sound deading material to finish it off if anything comes back

Next...as seen in other posts....hitting the passenger side of the center console where your knee would be created a rattle. It was always a difused sound. I sware it was coming from the windshield area of the dash so it was impossible to find until I drove the car with the door panel removed...

I took apart the center console at least 4 times. Placed a shim underneath the Sirius radio box.....but the main culprit of the rattle turned out to be the fiber optic for the ambient
​​lighting. It was a little loosely placed. Placed 3m double sided tape and the rattle is gone!

there is a rattle when I hit the dash right above the driver's air vent....that rattle comes from behind the center tach I think. Thankfully I don't hear anything when I drive.

​​​Next...a new one...loud tapping noise like Morse code raditing up my steering wheel and footwell area. Was diving in upside down into the footwell for hours and taking apart the steering wheel and other stuff.....no luck.. I recorded the sound and seems similar to others with the gas tank rattle. Gave up and dropped the car off at the dealer for them to look. Seems to happen after I filled the gas tank 2/3 full. Because of the size of the extended range tank I haven't really filled it up ever to the max.

All my friends say buy a loud exhaust.....the rattle and Morse code noise will drive anyone insane......Plus the damn wind whistle at 50mph.

Never had any issues with my 991s. The 992 is a love/ hate relationship. The 991s were definitely a more a raw sports car experience..this 992 drives closer to a Camry....I don't want any rattles in my $100k++ Camry..lol...​
they solved my tank rattle you describe with a new part from Porsche. It’s a belt, there’s a bulletin about it.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:39 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Reading all these rattle threads 1 of 2 things is happening here. Either my car has been rattle free for 15000mi now…or I am more deaf than I thought I was

Last edited by dixonk; 02-11-2023 at 01:05 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by dixonk:
cadster (02-12-2023), Go Bruins (02-11-2023), Guzzgreg (02-11-2023), helispud (05-22-2023), KG-Virus (02-18-2023), pkalhan (02-12-2023), Staffie Guy (02-11-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-11-2023, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
Reading all these rattle threads 1 of 2 things is happening here. Either my car has been rattle free for 15000mi now…or I am more deaf that I thought I was
it’s option 2
The following users liked this post:
dixonk (02-11-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 05:07 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

*No* rattles in my July 2019 built 2020 S. Good luck and hope you get your’s resolved.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:48 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Many rattles here. I've given up trying to fix them.
The following users liked this post:
cadster (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:52 AM
Marshall S
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I went through the same thing, 40 -50 hours chasing rattles. As dumb as this may sound the worst rattle was the front corners of the console lid popping on the base.
It's a 30 second test, just hit some bumps with the lid open. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

That must be frustrating. I guess I’m lucky. I have one small buzzing/rattling from the driver’s door, but I can press on the spot and it disappears. It’s minor and I haven’t bothered to fix it yet. I’ll have the dealer do it during my 1st “free” oil change in May.

The A/C makes a faint little mouse squeak. Sounds like two mice having a civil conversation, but it’s only noticeable if I don’t have any music playing so I don’t really notice it. With the Alpin 5 tires, road noise is almost nonexistent. I’ll switch back to the screaming loud P-Zeros next month (but, it’s been so warm that I could have kept them on all winter).
Old 02-11-2023, 09:59 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

I had a rattle develop in my ‘22 Cab coming from the rear when hitting a bump. The sound is not unlike flicking a wooden ruler on a desk. Fortunately I was able to locate it by bumping my closed fist around the rear window, revealing a loose interior trim piece. Tried messing with it, but winter was on its way and I was prepping for storage so I figured I would leave it until spring so I could take it to the dealer if I was unsuccessful snapping it in place.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I’ve stopped believing a stiff, performance car can be as rattle free as a Camry. I get how we want an expensive, new/low mileage car to be perfect, but I just don’t have this expectation any more. Turn up the revs or the radio.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:06 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
I had a rattle develop in my ‘22 Cab coming from the rear when hitting a bump. The sound is not unlike flicking a wooden ruler on a desk. Fortunately I was able to locate it by bumping my closed fist around the rear window, revealing a loose interior trim piece. Tried messing with it, but winter was on its way and I was prepping for storage so I figured I would leave it until spring so I could take it to the dealer if I was unsuccessful snapping it in place.
I have the same problem. My dealer couldn't fix it (typical "cannot reproduce" although I took them on a ride and made them hear it). It's pretty annoying, I'll probably take it to an independent shop and have it looked at. If you ever figure out where it's coming from exactly, I'd appreciate if you let me know. I'll do the same if I get the chance from here till summer.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:17 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just open the sunroof and turn up the tunes….that and tire/road noise basically masks most of my rattles.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:59 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.
I’ve stopped believing a stiff, performance car can be as rattle free as a Camry. I get how we want an expensive, new/low mileage car to be perfect, but I just don’t have this expectation any more. Turn up the revs or the radio.
They can be though. My 991.1 GTS was completely rattle free.

Quick Reply: Venting! .the damn rattles