Sponsored by:

Venting! .the damn rattles

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 01:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
They can be though. My 991.1 GTS was completely rattle free.

I don’t doubt you…but my wife (as an example) does not hear the same thing as I do while driving in any of our cars. I guess she’s not tuned into rattles like I am. Point being - whether it’;s a difference in auditory acuity, or just a sensitivity to certain sounds…not all of us hear the same things. Just sayin’ 😎

PS - For many years my wife accused me of being tone deaf, when it came to one of our kids crying in the middle of the night. 🤔 😳

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-11-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:07 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

If there is one thing that drives me NUTS is rattles in a car. I don't care if it is a firm suspension or a sports car. I've owned many and they were rattle free. I know everyone says Porsche is an upgrade in quality over Corvette (which, it is) but both my C7 and C8 didn't have a single rattle. Neither did my M2, 3 or 4. Not something I can say for Porsche. So for all of the chatter about build quality, fit/finish, etc in Porsche, sometimes I question that conclusion just a bit. The quality of the materials is great but the way they put the cars together to avoid these issues leaves a little something to be desired.

I wish it didn't drive me crazy but it does... and the more money a car costs, the more it drives me bananas!!
The following 3 users liked this post by gthal:
AdamIsAdam (02-18-2023), Bluehighways (05-26-2023), Throttle Lift (05-21-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 02:16 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 473 Likes on 237 Posts

My 20 992s was surprising compared to the other pcars I’ve had. Solution was to drop the top and turn the volume up but definitely not as sorted as other pcars. Lots of little rattles and plastic rubbing on plastic sounds.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:10 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

Turning up the music can be the cause of the rattles. My passenger side door buzzes when a specific frequency is hit by the bass. A bit annoying but I can turn the bass down. It’s very song specific, otherwise the interior is rock solid. Wonder if full leather dash did anything to negate the rattles? I have full leather
Old 02-11-2023, 07:30 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lemonorlime
I have the same problem. My dealer couldn't fix it (typical "cannot reproduce" although I took them on a ride and made them hear it). It's pretty annoying, I'll probably take it to an independent shop and have it looked at. If you ever figure out where it's coming from exactly, I'd appreciate if you let me know. I'll do the same if I get the chance from here till summer.
It’s definitely the interior trim around the window. It’s easy to inspect from the inside by gently pulling at it while sitting in the back seat.
I could feel it was loose but couldn’t get it to snap back in. Not sure if it just needs a firm press to snap back in place or if it’s broken.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:44 AM
rob929
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Turning up the music can be the cause of the rattles. My passenger side door buzzes when a specific frequency is hit by the bass. A bit annoying but I can turn the bass down. It’s very song specific, otherwise the interior is rock solid. Wonder if full leather dash did anything to negate the rattles? I have full leather
I have the same issue…sent a video clip to my SA and he said the passenger speaker is blown. Getting it replaced at my next visit.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:41 AM
dmbryson
AutoX

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous F83 M4 took a good bit of work to stop creaks and rattles from all over the dash and console pieces. Took felt tape, gummi phlege stift, and epoxy to sort out most of it. With that, top down was good. Unfortunately there were some rattles in the roof mechanisms I could never quite nail down and the hard top weather stripping made all kinds of noise top up if I wasn’t constantly maintaining it.

So far the 992 has been good, but time will tell.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:53 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
If there is one thing that drives me NUTS is rattles in a car. I don't care if it is a firm suspension or a sports car. I've owned many and they were rattle free. I know everyone says Porsche is an upgrade in quality over Corvette (which, it is) but both my C7 and C8 didn't have a single rattle. Neither did my M2, 3 or 4. Not something I can say for Porsche. So for all of the chatter about build quality, fit/finish, etc in Porsche, sometimes I question that conclusion just a bit. The quality of the materials is great but the way they put the cars together to avoid these issues leaves a little something to be desired.

I wish it didn't drive me crazy but it does... and the more money a car costs, the more it drives me bananas!!
I feel exactly the same. I have a 2014 650i xDrive Gran Coupe I am in alone 90% of the time. The front passenger seat rattles (widely-known problem) and to remedy means taking the seat out and doing a multitude of things to get it to stop. I expect more from a car that cost $98K but thankfully it won't be a problem for much longer as it's getting traded for my T.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:49 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Seeing more than anecdotal posts about rattles with the extended range gas tank. Has Porsche made a running change to address this issue?

Last edited by Patriot; 02-17-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:19 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Not sure there was a change; my MY22 GTS Cab with extended tank is thankfully rattle and squeak free. I'm pretty OCD about such things.
Old 02-17-2023, 02:29 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
Seeing more than anecdotal posts about rattles with the extended range gas tank. Has Porsche made a running change to address this issue?
Yes. They sent a new part (tank belt) and fixed mine. So far so good.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX

I prefer those forms of rattles, as they are very easy to chase down and correct.

Unlike some generic rattle…. I.e., somewhere in the door, the dash or the back, as you go over a bump. Those are the types of rattles that I’ve found where dealerships either can’t locate, or care about, trying to chase down those types of rattles…and fix.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:14 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I don’t doubt you…but my wife (as an example) does not hear the same thing as I do while driving in any of our cars. I guess she’s not tuned into rattles like I am. Point being - whether it’;s a difference in auditory acuity, or just a sensitivity to certain sounds…not all of us hear the same things. Just sayin’ 😎

PS - For many years my wife accused me of being tone deaf, when it came to one of our kids crying in the middle of the night. 🤔 😳
I didn't hear them in my 991 but I hear many in my 992 so I don't think it is my hearing that is different. If anything, my hearing is getting worse so I should hear fewer rattles not more! Lol
Old 02-18-2023, 05:28 PM
lone992
Instructor

Received 297 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
Porsche has released a Workshop Campaign item. Appears to cover MY 2020 through MY 2022. Hopefully, this issue has been rectified on the production line and MY 2023 cars won't be inflicted with this particular problem.

See post #25 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1322...-rattle-2.html
Old 05-20-2023, 08:06 PM
dennis_mon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same rattling of the Moise code one in my C4s. My dealer said it's caused by back seat seatbelt, they lock the seatbelt and it's gone, though stupid but effective, you can try that. And I also have rattling on my console or vent.

Quick Reply: Venting! .the damn rattles