992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cargraphic Valve Control Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 01:50 PM
CornerOffice
Instructor

5:56 of video. Right side easy peasy. Works like charm…

The following users liked this post:
Rezolution (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:48 PM
PhilH930
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rezolution
Does anyone have detailed photos of the install using the latest plastic bracket? Any thoughts on it's stability if mounted without zip ties?

As mentioned above, take a look at the pic in post 919 I posted. I don’t love the bracket, but used a couple of 14” black cable ties (cut to size). With that bracket, I think a key tie is one that goes around the cargraphic unit between the two wires and over the mounting bracket. That really secures the mount to the unit.

I then added a second tie to once again over the unit and to the oil inlet pipe. Hasn’t moved since.
Rezolution (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 06:56 PM
Rezolution
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CornerOffice
5:56 of video. Right side easy peasy. Works like charm…

https://youtu.be/C6pWyWYFU1M?si=Klx_8emlx-Zr4nZZ

This location works with the Cargraphic? I though the Cargraphic's cables are shorter but I may be completely wrong.
Old 09-15-2024 | 01:47 PM
CornerOffice
Instructor

Kies version is rebranded Cargraphic…meaning they are identical except for the label. So, yes Cargraphic mounts the same way as described in the video. I installed it that way.
silverscooby27 (09-16-2024)
Old 09-15-2024 | 02:54 PM
Rezolution
6th Gear

Originally Posted by CornerOffice
Kies version is rebranded Cargraphic…meaning they are identical except for the label. So, yes Cargraphic mounts the same way as described in the video. I installed it that way.

Perfect thanks. I'll try the side mounted option.
Old 09-17-2024 | 03:28 PM
adesai716
8th Gear

I also didn't love the new bracket but understand why it needed to be changed as the new cargraphic module lacks the mounting area for the old style bracket.

I'll take a picture of my zip tie approach, but I felt it was fairly secure - used 2 zip ties to secure the bracket to the cargraphic module and then a few more to secure the module to the car (loosely) just in case the bracket itself breaks. Its been a few weeks of regular driving so worth me popping off the rear plastic and checking it out.

And agree with the others - the cargraphics makes a HUGE difference on idle and low speed, eliminating the need for an aftermarket exhaust. My only issues are:
  1. Turbo whistles are far more pronounced, whereas the stock PSE mutes the whistling for the most part. But I can easily go back to stock by pushing a button
  2. Keeping it on does cause significant vibration (and low frequency vibration) at varying times like idle 4-5 minutes after start and highway speeds. I do think there could be downstream issues with interior parts and fitment being disturbed over time, but likely would need thousands of miles to wear hopefully?
Rezolution (09-17-2024)
Old 09-17-2024 | 03:30 PM
adesai716
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Fcassells
Tested this out today, changed modes during high speed no problem. I also double side taped the controller in a handy spot for now . I’ve found the remote doesn’t like to be switched too often, maybe you were pressing the buttons rapidly ?

What type of double sided tape did you use for this install? And does it leave any residue / permanent changes to the steering wheel column?
Old 09-17-2024 | 04:34 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adesai716
  1. Turbo whistles are far more pronounced, whereas the stock PSE mutes the whistling for the most part. But I can easily go back to stock by pushing a button
  2. Keeping it on does cause significant vibration (and low frequency vibration) at varying times like idle 4-5 minutes after start and highway speeds. I do think there could be downstream issues with interior parts and fitment being disturbed over time, but likely would need thousands of miles to wear hopefully?
Cargraphics should consider adding a setting for the valves to have a minimum opening of only 50%, with the 50 to 100% controlled by the stock input signal. This would give higher sound levels at lower RPMs, yet open the valves when Porsche thought it necessary. Other exhaust valve controllers have various settings, such as SST's unit for the 992 GT3. SST says they are developing a similar unit for the Base and S models. Should be out shortly.

If I am going to spend $600 on an exhaust Valve Controller, it should have more capabilities then just 100% Open and Stock.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 09-17-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2024 | 04:41 PM
adesai716
8th Gear

Interesting! Is this SST product available? I hadn't heard of it.

And would a 50% closure truly muffle the turbo whistles without changing the exhaust sound? My thought would be a 50% would also reduce the net change in exhaust note at idle.

What is very interesting is that I get a ton of turbo whistle at low RPM under moderate throttle, BUT the turbo meter in the car reads 0 psi. I would have thought the whistle volume would correspond to the differential in turbo pressure (e.g., turbo pressure going up quickly would generate the noise) but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 09-17-2024 | 05:15 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adesai716
Interesting! Is this SST product available? I hadn't heard of it.

And would a 50% closure truly muffle the turbo whistles without changing the exhaust sound? My thought would be a 50% would also reduce the net change in exhaust note at idle.

What is very interesting is that I get a ton of turbo whistle at low RPM under moderate throttle, BUT the turbo meter in the car reads 0 psi. I would have thought the whistle volume would correspond to the differential in turbo pressure (e.g., turbo pressure going up quickly would generate the noise) but maybe I'm wrong.

Here is the SST Website Link: https://www.sst-spezialsteuergeraete...s/porsche/911/

Currently only for GT3 and S/T 911s, yet they have said that a version for the Base & S on on the way.......

Old 09-17-2024 | 05:39 PM
adesai716
8th Gear

this makes me feel better as I have a GTS and its not out for it... yet.

When it comes out hopefully some folks who haven't bought the cargraphics will test it out!
Old 09-17-2024 | 06:06 PM
Rezolution
6th Gear

Has anyone else had issues with water getting into the module? If so, where did you have it mounted?

Skip to 5:30 regarding water in his module:

Old 09-17-2024 | 08:45 PM
MelloYellow305
4th Gear

Originally Posted by InTheClouds
CEL Update 3:
  • Upon starting the car after the most recent P04A1 code "pending" state, the CEL was immediately illuminated and reached "Stored" state (without another drive cycle)
  • Removed the Cargraphic from the car, and cleared the P04A1 "Pending" and "Stored" codes one more time
    • During removal, confirmed things were definitely installed correctly and all tabs locked in
    • Brief visual inspection of the Cargraphic wires and harnesses look normal as well
  • Took it for 3 drive cycles
    • No pending P04A1 code anymore
    • Everything seems fine

I hate to be that guy, but what would you suggest I do for next steps @SupremePower?
Hey - I'm having the same issue in a 2020 992 S. I'm curious how this ended up getting resolved. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Cargraphic Valve Control Unit