Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Dash Cam Review, Cost and Installation?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 12:24 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Porsche Dash Cam Review, Cost and Installation?

I just heard back from a local DC/MD/VA Porsche Dealership for cost and installation for the new Porsche Dash Cam and was quoted just over $2,500 to have purchased and installed in my 2021 Base 992. I've reached out to several dealerships but so far only 1 has gotten back to me with pricing.

Does this sound right to anyone? Also, has anyone purchased and/or seen any reviews yet? I haven't found any on Youtube...just generic 60 second videos from Dealerships saying they now have it.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:41 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3:16
I just heard back from a local DC/MD/VA Porsche Dealership for cost and installation for the new Porsche Dash Cam and was quoted just over $2,500 to have purchased and installed in my 2021 Base 992. I've reached out to several dealerships but so far only 1 has gotten back to me with pricing.

Does this sound right to anyone? Also, has anyone purchased and/or seen any reviews yet? I haven't found any on Youtube...just generic 60 second videos from Dealerships saying they now have it.
Is your car pre wired? Did they break down the cost of the camera and installation?
Old 01-11-2023, 12:46 PM
Instructor

My car is not pre-wired to my knowledge...I believe Porsche just started offering the pre-wiring option on the configurator for 2023 models.

They quoted me $528.64 for the camera and $1,842.50 for Labor...so with tax just over $2,500.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:47 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I personally don't know why anyone would want to spend $2500 for a Porsche-branded camera when there are cheaper alternatives with 2CH-4K, cloud uploads, downloads, and more. If you're pre-wired, I guess pull the trigger, if you are not, I can send pictures of my BlackVue setup for you.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 12:48 PM
Instructor

I agree...I just didn't know if the Porsche Dash Cam is on another level or something. I realize a ton of Dash Cams out there aren't great and can't even read license plates.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Yea. Although I don't think it's an egregious quote cause you're not pre wired, it's certainly not the best choice. You can get the Porsche camera if you must from somewhere like Delaware Porsche who sells parts for cheap and avoid paying tax then get it installed.

But if you're not pre-wired, I'd go aftermarket. Blackvue seems to be forum participants preferred camera.
threatZERO (01-11-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 05:36 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FamousJamisFan
Depending on the quality of the camera that price may not be that bad. I would want to know more about the camera quality - which is important - but I'd also want to know about the storage. One of the things that a lot of the camera posts/review overlook is that storage on most cameras is god awful and you'll burn through storage cards. It has something to do with the constant writes the camera is doing to the cards and how that wears them out prematurely (or something like that). And then you have to be quick about downloading the card if you had an event of some kind because a high quality video camera may only be able to store the last two hours of your driving.

So if Porsche is doing something like integrating the camera into the My Porsche app, or something cool like that, then yeah, I might bite on that offer.
To each their own. It's in my humble opinion (which is usually useless on this forum) that no Dash Camera should cost $2500. There are plenty of cameras that utilize Sony's STARVIS/2 sensor giving crisp day and night video footage for less than $200

SDXC was designed for storage, and performance for 4K video, and often found on SLR cameras. They can handle extreme IOPs and a lot of brand name SDXC cards come with lifetime warranty.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:37 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera3:16
I agree...I just didn't know if the Porsche Dash Cam is on another level or something. I realize a ton of Dash Cams out there aren't great and can't even read license plates.
I have 15% tint on my windshield with blackvue dr900x, I'll get some footage when I finally get on the road.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:15 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by threatZERO
I have 15% tint on my windshield with blackvue dr900x, I'll get some footage when I finally get on the road.
15 on the windshield? What are you doing in there? Haha.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:24 PM
threatZERO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shogunade
15 on the windshield? What are you doing in there? Haha.
Living my best life bro, the privacy is amazing!

Quikag (06-06-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 08:27 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

For $130 I have ordered the pre wiring for Dashcam on my 911T being built on 3/17... I understand that if it is pre wired, it is simply the cost of the camera and no other labor required... It connects right on the mirror.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:39 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,189 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Blend mount is very popular for those that run radar detectors. You can also use it to power a dash camera.

https://blendmount.com/porsche/911/

A lot cheaper than $2,500, and clean install.

Last edited by shrimp money; 01-11-2023 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:34 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by FamousJamisFan
Depending on the quality of the camera that price may not be that bad. I would want to know more about the camera quality - which is important - but I'd also want to know about the storage. One of the things that a lot of the camera posts/review overlook is that storage on most cameras is god awful and you'll burn through storage cards.
A 64GB SD card will hold 4 hours of 4K video until overwriting the oldest video. There are 128GB and 256GB cards available too (though some dashcams may not work with the really large cards). How much permanent video storage do you need? If one doesn't run the dashcam while parked (I don't, but even if you do why would you need to keep days and days of storage on the card and you don't need 4K for parked footage either). An hour is way more than I ever need since within a day or two I download to my phone/laptop anything when there is a need. People worry about SD card lifetime but really, even if you have to replace them once per year it's no big deal (and people do not). There are also high endurance SD cards available too, if you must worry. This forum is good for dashcam talk: https://www.rdforum.org/forums/132/

Quality of the dashcam suffers because video recordings of moving cars, especially if they are moving at an angle or to the side of your own moving car, will usually make license plate recognition impossible (even on my 4K Blackvue) unless it is the car right in front of you. The Porsche dashcam doesn't cost enough to indicate any major technology difference than top dashcams. I guess it's not even 4K given the Porsche markup and its price comparison to Blackvue's 4K.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:20 PM
Arroqueno
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by threatZERO
I personally don't know why anyone would want to spend $2500 for a Porsche-branded camera when there are cheaper alternatives with 2CH-4K, cloud uploads, downloads, and more. If you're pre-wired, I guess pull the trigger, if you are not, I can send pictures of my BlackVue setup for you.
Not OP, but I’d be really interested in seeing this. Would you mind sharing how you wired it?

do you have it hardwired to the battery?
Old 01-12-2023, 03:43 PM
Nibiru12
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

The cars with Surround View got minimum 4 cameras already....
I also believe there are multiple cameras in the rear view mirror assembly, facing front.

So, why this nonsense of installing more camera on the windshield that will block the view?
How come Porsche not using the cameras already installed in the car?

Hope 992.2 will change that... but I am not expecting much.
wingless (06-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Dash Cam Review, Cost and Installation?