Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa 4S Uninsurable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023 | 01:32 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
That's inaccurate. My '22 GTS is insured with Progressive. December two years ago, I switched my auto, umbrella and homeowner's insurance from USAA to Progressive. I was a 30 year plus customer of USAA with one hail claim on a former home and a wind damage claim on an 1884 Carrera back in the early 1980's. No driving record or credit score issues. Once I bought a BMW M850ix, USAA wanted to practically double my overall auto bill after trading in a 2017 991.2 C4S. So, I checked Progressive where I already had two boats and a motorhome insured (subcontracted to Progressive by USAA). Progressive gladly took my business at less than ½ the quote from USAA. I inquired folks at USAA about the sky-high rate increase and did not receive a logical explanation given I traded a more valuable car for the BMW. Same thing happened to my mom and dad a few years prior but when it happened to them, I was baffled and thought at the time they made a wrong decision.
​​​​​​​Maybe Progressive has changed their rules, or it has something to do with which State you live in? I'm in Florida and in November 2021 Progressive told me their coverage limit was the $150K when I was shopping insurance for my Panamera. I don't doubt what you're saying, I just think it's strange that Progressive would say different things to different people. Sign of the times I guess. Or maybe in your case it's different because you have so many things insured with them???
Old 01-09-2023 | 02:13 PM
DrB477
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Maybe Progressive has changed their rules, or it has something to do with which State you live in? I'm in Florida and in November 2021 Progressive told me their coverage limit was the $150K when I was shopping insurance for my Panamera. I don't doubt what you're saying, I just think it's strange that Progressive would say different things to different people. Sign of the times I guess. Or maybe in your case it's different because you have so many things insured with them???
Especially at the fringes (like with expensive cars) insurance details even within the same company can vary regionally.
Old 01-09-2023 | 05:30 PM
dgoldenz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Try this link. It has every State.

https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/
Porsche Auto Insurance is currently available in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin. We will be expanding to more states in the near future. To find out when we are launching in your state, please provide your information below and we will stay in touch.
Old 01-18-2023 | 03:43 PM
TexasIowan
Advanced

Anyone insured through Porsche Insurance? If so what's your experience in the event you've had a claim?

My '23 GTS is hopefully just over a month out, but I'm poking around on what my options are. The initial quote I got through my current provider, USAA (Texas), was out-of-this-world high! I just got a quote through Porsche Insurance and came out at ~$1,200/year with 5K miles of annual use. This is almost a QUARTER of the quote from USAA...what's the catch? As far as coverages I loaded-up with effective parity in coverages, but again am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2023 | 06:04 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by protamine
I'm afraid to ask my agent. Im filing a basement frozen pipe claim (probably 20-30k) and I'd hate to call and say will you insure my 180k GTS. I guess worse comes to worse they insure it for 150, right? I have home and a 1m umbrella policy as well.
Originally Posted by devsecflops
Is this an independent agent or one that works for the carrier? Independents would shop your profile to many carriers and make it super simple to switch carriers when appropriate.
Originally Posted by zachr
Progressive has a similar rule, they won't insure cars worth more than $150k. I worked with a local insurance brokerage to move all my policies (auto, motorcycle, home, umbrella) to a new carrier. It ended up cheaper and with better coverage

I reached out to my Allstate agent today. Didnt even give them my details or customer number, just said I'm an existing customer. Automatically insure $250k, and they would go up higher with proof of MSRP. And that Umbrella can cover basically anything above. So far I'm happy. Been a customer of theirs for over 10 years since a certain red shirted agency agent screamed at me on the phone because I asked about a refund overpayment as a college student (about 2 months after it was overpaid). Its the little things.
Old 01-18-2023 | 06:22 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by TexasIowan
Anyone insured through Porsche Insurance? If so what's your experience in the event you've had a claim? My '23 GTS is hopefully just over a month out, but I'm poking around on what my options are. The initial quote I got through my current provider, USAA (Texas), was out-of-this-world high! I just got a quote through Porsche Insurance and came out at ~$1,200/year with 5K miles of annual use. This is almost a QUARTER of the quote from USAA...what's the catch? As far as coverages I loaded-up with effective parity in coverages, but again am I missing something?
$1200 per year through Porsche Insurance? You're stealing it. The quote I got from them in November for my C4 GTS was $4,500+ per year. It's maddening to me how high the rates have become just because I live in Florida. Take the policy and be happy. My policy through Hagerty is around $2,100 per year I think.

​​​​​​​P.s. if you're a PCA Member, be sure to mention it when getting quotes and talking about discounts. Saved me 10% with Hagerty. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 01-18-2023 | 06:26 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
That's inaccurate. My '22 GTS is insured with Progressive. December two years ago, I switched my auto, umbrella and homeowner's insurance from USAA to Progressive. I was a 30 year plus customer of USAA with one hail claim on a former home and a wind damage claim on an 1884 Carrera back in the early 1980's. No driving record or credit score issues. Once I bought a BMW M850ix, USAA wanted to practically double my overall auto bill after trading in a 2017 991.2 C4S. So, I checked Progressive where I already had two boats and a motorhome insured (subcontracted to Progressive by USAA). Progressive gladly took my business at less than ½ the quote from USAA. I inquired folks at USAA about the sky-high rate increase and did not receive a logical explanation given I traded a more valuable car for the BMW. Same thing happened to my mom and dad a few years prior but when it happened to them, I was baffled and thought at the time they made a wrong decision.
No, it's quite accurate. https://www.progressive.com/answers/...s-exotic-cars/

Are there restrictions on insurance for luxury cars and sports cars?

Sports car restrictions vary by insurer, and not all insurance companies insure all high-end vehicles. At Progressive, we'll likely cover your luxury or sports car, but we don't insure cars valued over $150,000. If your ride is worth more than that, you may want to consider a specialty insurer.
Before options for 2022, the GTS was ~$138k. But my actual MSRP was north of $180k, and if I had totaled the car pulling out of the dealership I would've had to pay more like $210k to replace it with a similar vehicle, if I could even find one. Progressive happily accepted my VIN and said they would insure the car in the online portal, presumably because my VIN pulls up as a $140k car. When I called and asked, very specifically stating that my car's MSRP was over their limit, the rep's answer was essentially "it's weird that you can do that online, but we do have a policy maximum value of $150k and I can't override that for you. We're sorry to see you go."

I'm pretty sure it's okay. If Progressive underwrites a policy for a car that's worth more than they're supposed to be willing to insure, that's Progressive's mistake and I think legally they would be required to cover the full, actual value of the car. That said, I'm not personally willing to risk the difference between my car's value and their policy maximum on "I think they're required to cover it", and I have a feeling that dealing with Progressive in such a situation would be about as enjoyable as pulling teeth.

Last edited by zachr; 01-18-2023 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Targa 4S Uninsurable?