Sponsored by:

Targa 4S Uninsurable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 11:50 AM
jjw285
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dhjaffe
Yay! Traveler's came through and will insure my car. I guess I worried for nothing. $1699 for 12 months with good limits. Obviously not the cheapest, though!
Dude, PM me. Try Erie, I'm telling you...better coverage, better claim service, better pricing...

I'm not licensed in NY, so I have no skin in the game.
Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

My 2023 Targa 4S is on the boat. I should be getting it during the 2nd week of January. It will be registered in New York State. I contacted my insurance agency to give them some information in anticipation of the car's arrival. My insurance is currently through Traveler's. The agency told me that their underwriter is away for a few days so they will only know, when the underwriter gets back, as to whether they can insure my car. They said that, because the car cost over $150,000 (my build costs considerably more than that) and is a sports car, they may not be able to insure it. I was really shocked to hear that. Has anyone had any similar issues insuring their 911's? What do you do if you can't get insurance for your car?
Progressive has a similar rule, they won't insure cars worth more than $150k. I worked with a local insurance brokerage to move all my policies (auto, motorcycle, home, umbrella) to a new carrier. It ended up cheaper and with better coverage
Old 01-04-2023, 12:35 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Severe hate for Geico, they buy radar and laser equipment for police departments. (per C&D they used to at least)

I can confirm State Farm will insure your car.

Fun story about this McLaren and State Farm...
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...washington-d-c

It was insured by State Farm, and the agent that put the deal together to insure it, overrode a bunch of internal checks and balances so that car was insured for like 2 grand a year or something stupid like that. Needless to say this person is no longer an agent with State Farm given what they did.

The repair bill from that specific car hit 7 figures (took over year) and caused State Farm to rewrite their SOP's on insuring high value vehicles. Now it requires VP level approval in the company for cars over a specific value. (what that value is, I am not sure)
Old 01-04-2023, 12:54 PM
TexasIowan
Advanced

Received 67 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread had me curious given I'm awaiting my '23 GTS2 ~$160k (in March hopefully) - I'm currently with USAA in Texas and the quote I got is $4,600/year!!! Anyone in the insurance biz know if this is largely a byproduct of being in Texas (Dallas area), or is USAA sky-high on rates...or some combination of both? I'm originally from Iowa and when I moved here almost 20 years ago I recall my insurance more than doubling. I've been with USAA for over a decade and they're fantastic to deal with. We've had only one uninsured motorist claim, which was like 6 years ago, and the claims process was super smooth.

I'm a 45 year old male and have carried the following coverage for as long as I can remember:
$250 Comp
$1,000 Collision
$100,000 Uninsured (will need to tweak this most likely)
Bodily $300,000/$500,00
Property $100,000
Also covered by a $1M umbrella

Last edited by TexasIowan; 01-04-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:36 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasIowan
This thread had me curious given I'm awaiting my '23 GTS2 ~$160k (in March hopefully) - I'm currently with USAA in Texas and the quote I got is $4,600/year!!! Anyone in the insurance biz know if this is largely a byproduct of being in Texas (Dallas area), or is USAA sky-hi on rates...or some combination of both? I'm originally from Iowa and when I moved here almost 20 years ago I recall my insurance more than doubling. I've been with USAA for over a decade and they're fantastic to deal with. We've had only one uninsured motorist claim, which was like 6 years ago, and the claims process was super smooth.

I'm a 45 year old male and have carried the following coverage for as long as I can remember:
$250 Comp
$1,000 Collision
$100,000 Uninsured (will need to tweak this most likely)
Bodily $300,000/$500,00
Property $100,000
Also covered by a $1M umbrella
USAA is not competitive with auto. I have found when searching that nearly every competitor can beat them. The issue is they are so much cheaper on the home insurance and with the discount for having auto it always ends up being more expensive to drop the car insurance. I have had 2 claims with them so far with one being a total loss and the claims process was as easy as it gets and they paid everything no question asked. Even sent me a check back for the deductible since it was not at fault.

On my soap box: if USAA would stop spending millions on advertising at super bowls and other sporting events we can go back to the good ole days of being the best option for former and active service members. At this point what service member doesn’t know about USAA. We don’t need expensive TV ads.
The following users liked this post:
TexasIowan (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 05:54 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
USAA is not competitive with auto. I have found when searching that nearly every competitor can beat them. The issue is they are so much cheaper on the home insurance and with the discount for having auto it always ends up being more expensive to drop the car insurance. I have had 2 claims with them so far with one being a total loss and the claims process was as easy as it gets and they paid everything no question asked. Even sent me a check back for the deductible since it was not at fault. On my soap box: if USAA would stop spending millions on advertising at super bowls and other sporting events we can go back to the good ole days of being the best option for former and active service members. At this point what service member doesn’t know about USAA. We don’t need expensive TV ads.
​​​​​​​They have it to spend and then some. Insurance companies have more money than the big banks do. There's a reason Warren Buffett bought Geico.....just saying.

​​​​​​​
dixonk (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:01 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
USAA is not competitive with auto. I have found when searching that nearly every competitor can beat them. The issue is they are so much cheaper on the home insurance and with the discount for having auto it always ends up being more expensive to drop the car insurance. I have had 2 claims with them so far with one being a total loss and the claims process was as easy as it gets and they paid everything no question asked. Even sent me a check back for the deductible since it was not at fault.

On my soap box: if USAA would stop spending millions on advertising at super bowls and other sporting events we can go back to the good ole days of being the best option for former and active service members. At this point what service member doesn’t know about USAA. We don’t need expensive TV ads.

I always thing the same thing when I see a USAA ad on. I think pricing depends on state too. When I lived In Florida they were the cheapest by a good margin, in California and New York they were more expensive than other options.
dixonk (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by malba2366
I always thing the same thing when I see a USAA ad on. I think pricing depends on state too. When I lived In Florida they were the cheapest by a good margin, in California and New York they were more expensive than other options.
​​​​​​​Florida isn't the cheapest any more. For regular cars, maybe; for high dollar cars, not so much. Sucks. I see people here on the Forum paying much less than I do. Ah well....
Old 01-04-2023, 07:41 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Highly recommend talking to an independent insurance agent. It’s their job to find you the best rate with coverage that matches your risk tolerance. I pay ~220/month to insure my agreed-value 992 TTS with max coverage for all categories including under/uninsured. I also have my home, collectibles, and umbrellas with the same no-name carrier. Agent found me a great deal all around. They work for YOU not the carrier.

Last edited by SWxSec; 01-04-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:15 PM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm afraid to ask my agent. Im filing a basement frozen pipe claim (probably 20-30k) and I'd hate to call and say will you insure my 180k GTS. I guess worse comes to worse they insure it for 150, right? I have home and a 1m umbrella policy as well.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:18 PM
SWxSec
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by protamine
I'm afraid to ask my agent. Im filing a basement frozen pipe claim (probably 20-30k) and I'd hate to call and say will you insure my 180k GTS. I guess worse comes to worse they insure it for 150, right? I have home and a 1m umbrella policy as well.
Is this an independent agent or one that works for the carrier? Independents would shop your profile to many carriers and make it super simple to switch carriers when appropriate.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:48 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Try this link. It has every State.

https://www.porscheautoinsurance.com/
It does indeed. When I fill it out with my state (MD), it redirects me to the page with the more restrictive list of states.
Old 01-06-2023, 12:56 AM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by dhirm5
It does indeed. When I fill it out with my state (MD), it redirects me to the page with the more restrictive list of states.
​​​​​​​Strange. I'm sorry! ​​​​​​​
Old 01-08-2023, 11:12 PM
Jturner78
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 32 Posts

My 2023 Targa 4S is on the boat. I should be getting it during the 2nd week of January. It will be registered in New York State. I contacted my insurance agency to give them some information in anticipation of the car's arrival. My insurance is currently through Traveler's. The agency told me that their underwriter is away for a few days so they will only know, when the underwriter gets back, as to whether they can insure my car. They said that, because the car cost over $150,000 (my build costs considerably more than that) and is a sports car, they may not be able to insure it. I was really shocked to hear that. Has anyone had any similar issues insuring their 911's? What do you do if you can't get insurance for your car?
Can you get NJM? https://www.njm.com/about I think they now insure outside of NJ/PA. They had insured my last 3 porsches but I did switch to American Modern on my 911S as they have "full replacement" on expensive and classic cars. I'll eventually move my GTS (MSRP 172k) because I couldn't supply photos and the window sticker while it was on the boat.

Also the prices are incredibly reasonable for a car of this value and coverages. My wife's 2021 SQ5 costs $100 more a year and my my 2023 GTS Cab.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:23 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Progressive has a similar rule, they won't insure cars worth more than $150k. I worked with a local insurance brokerage to move all my policies (auto, motorcycle, home, umbrella) to a new carrier. It ended up cheaper and with better coverage
That's inaccurate. My '22 GTS is insured with Progressive. December two years ago, I switched my auto, umbrella and homeowner's insurance from USAA to Progressive. I was a 30 year plus customer of USAA with one hail claim on a former home and a wind damage claim on an 1884 Carrera back in the early 1980's. No driving record or credit score issues. Once I bought a BMW M850ix, USAA wanted to practically double my overall auto bill after trading in a 2017 991.2 C4S. So, I checked Progressive where I already had two boats and a motorhome insured (subcontracted to Progressive by USAA). Progressive gladly took my business at less than ½ the quote from USAA. I inquired folks at USAA about the sky-high rate increase and did not receive a logical explanation given I traded a more valuable car for the BMW. Same thing happened to my mom and dad a few years prior but when it happened to them, I was baffled and thought at the time they made a wrong decision.

Last edited by icanthelpit; 01-09-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Targa 4S Uninsurable?