Sponsored by:

ADMs dropping

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 02:07 PM
355Shawn
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
Has anyone had success leveraging the purchase of maintenance package in reducing ADM?
Yes, I’m getting my GTS at MSRP, but agreed to finance the car (which I will then immediately pay off) + I’m buying the second and third year of service (about $2,700 total cost).
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 02:45 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiffx
My Porsche SA told me that last week “they let go” the SA that used to sit next to him. Didn’t go into specifics, but I can imagine less work meant they need less people. He was also complaining about not making money (which doesn’t necessarily means it’s true though). He was saying 911 and 718 allocations are still low, and the SUVs don’t make much money on profit for the dealer. He said commissions are based on profit, which makes sense.

They are seeing a slowdown in sales, high rates and no subvented leases make the SUVs much less affordable. While the 911/718 sales may remain hot, the 40-50 sports cars they may see in a year is not the bread and butter of the dealerships - they need to move Macans and Cayennes to do well.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
LSM111 (03-26-2023), nyca (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 02:58 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
Do you have a source for it being BS?

FYI, I’m still seeing 12+ month lead times on lots of industrial automation products due to chip shortages; so if you could pass along the message that it’s BS to them so I can get my parts, I’d appreciate it.
BMW can build you an SUV to order in Spartanburg and you will have it in 4-6 weeks, possibly less time here in FL and i doubt if they are making their own chips.
Porsche made about the same number of 911s last year as they usually do.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

FYI, I’m still seeing 12+ month lead times on lots of industrial automation products due to chip shortages; so if you could pass along the message that it’s BS to them so I can get my parts, I’d appreciate it.
Of course he doesn’t. Fabs and FATPs don’t want to tool up for low margin automotive and industrial chips when they can use those resources on high margin phone and computer chips. I think that we will see a gradual easing of the supply issues but the chip supply chain is very hesitant about over capacitizing. Asianometry on YT has some great videos on the chip industry.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:20 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyking
BMW can build you an SUV to order in Spartanburg and you will have it in 4-6 weeks, possibly less time here in FL and i doubt if they are making their own chips.
Porsche made about the same number of 911s last year as they usually do.
I can attest. The 2017 X5 I ordered for my wife was on the showroom floor in south Texas complete with a red bow in 3 weeks, in what has to be a record. The 2020 X5 arrived in 6 weeks, in early March 2020, just before Covid. Both excellent vehicles. The 2017 we leased for 3 years, the 2020 we financed and I just finished paying it off earlier this month.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:24 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

We are still seeing long lead times on chips, though I will say it is much improved from 12 months ago. Some parts are still 12+ months, so we design them out if we can.
jhenson29 (03-25-2023)
Old 03-25-2023, 09:48 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,261 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Shambler
We are still seeing long lead times on chips, though I will say it is much improved from 12 months ago. Some parts are still 12+ months, so we design them out if we can.
It comes and goes for us across different product lines. Variable Frequency Drives are trending worse right now. I was told by my vendor last week that the IGBTs are being bought out for EVs. I don’t know if there’s any truth to it. Just what I was told.

Safety related components are a big problem also. I was told standard components can source new chip designs. However, safety rated components cannot without being retested/certified, and the process is too long. Again, just what I was told. I’m on the business of implementing those things. Not designing/sourcing their materials.

I keep hearing it will be better by the end of the year, but that’s what I heard last year too.

But not to worry because apparently it’s all just BS.

Last edited by jhenson29; 03-26-2023 at 12:54 AM.
Shambler (03-25-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 04:02 AM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Shawn
Yes, I’m getting my GTS at MSRP, but agreed to finance the car (which I will then immediately pay off) + I’m buying the second and third year of service (about $2,700 total cost).
This is helpful. Assuming you’re financing with Porsche, is there no early payoff penalty or do you have to wait a certain amount? I remember BMW financing doesn’t allow early payoff until 3 months (or at least that’s how it was the last time I did it).

Was $2700 their standard MSRP price for the 2+ maintenance package?

Also, how long did you wait to get your GTS allocation?
Old 03-26-2023, 10:42 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
This is helpful. Assuming you’re financing with Porsche, is there no early payoff penalty or do you have to wait a certain amount? I remember BMW financing doesn’t allow early payoff until 3 months (or at least that’s how it was the last time I did it).

Was $2700 their standard MSRP price for the 2+ maintenance package?

Also, how long did you wait to get your GTS allocation?

No automaker captive financing company has prepayment penalties or otherwise restricts the early payment of loans. You can pay off your Porsche (or BMW) loan the day after you buy the car if you want, the dealer will tell you otherwise because they lose the loan origination fee if you pay if off before a certain timeframe.
The following 2 users liked this post by malba2366:
LSM111 (03-26-2023), McLaren997 (04-28-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 11:09 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
No automaker captive financing company has prepayment penalties or otherwise restricts the early payment of loans. You can pay off your Porsche (or BMW) loan the day after you buy the car if you want, the dealer will tell you otherwise because they lose the loan origination fee if you pay if off before a certain timeframe.
Interesting…so if a dealer says if you pay it off before the specified 3 months hold period, you will lose the financing discount aka they will retroactively charge it back to you, that is false?

*I know there are no financing discounts now, but based on a previous scenario
Old 03-26-2023, 11:37 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,179 Likes on 3,021 Posts

I don’t understand taking the dealer preferred financing.

If you’re borrowing, you’re missing on the opportunity to get your best rate. A 3 month old car is no longer a “new car”. You put yourself in the refinance or used car interest rate tier.

If you’ve got the cash, you’re better off just paying cash and a modest cash ADM. It will be better for your credit report, because even the quick payoff won’t offset the hard pull to get there. Why go through that?

You’re not getting the car for MSRP if you’re forced to use expensive financing. ADM comes in many forms: cash, financing, watches, PPF, etc. If you didn’t want it and forced to do it to get the car, you’re getting back door ADM.
Gables (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 11:57 AM
Spiffx
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you’ve got the cash, you’re better off just paying cash and a modest cash ADM. It will be better for your credit report, because even the quick payoff won’t offset the hard pull to get there. Why go through that?
If you have excellent credit rating, a hard pull doesn’t cost you anything.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:09 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
True. But even if it was a "handshake" agreement to take the Porsche financing as part of the deal, I would honor it. What's the time frame that allows the dealer to keep the fee - I have heard 4 or 6 months of payments mentioned here on the forums? Then you can refi that loan to your own lender (credit union, penfed, whatever) to get the lower rate.
detansinn (03-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 01:09 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I don’t understand taking the dealer preferred financing.

If you’re borrowing, you’re missing on the opportunity to get your best rate. A 3 month old car is no longer a “new car”. You put yourself in the refinance or used car interest rate tier.

You’re not getting the car for MSRP if you’re forced to use expensive financing. ADM comes in many forms: cash, financing, watches, PPF, etc. If you didn’t want it and forced to do it to get the car, you’re getting back door ADM.
If I’m gonna pay full cash with $20k ADM, but dealer says if I finance, they’ll do $15k ADM and the cost to finance temporarily and turn around to pay it right off is say $2k, I’d still be ahead $3k at the end. Yes, there’s a $2k “back door ADM” in this scenario but you’d still be ahead. The only question is whether my numbers are roughly accurate in this scenario. That’s why I’m wondering if there’s a prepayment penalty if you pay before a certain number of months (say 3 months). If someone who’s done Porsche financing could speak to that, it would be really helpful!
Old 03-26-2023, 01:10 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
True. But even if it was a "handshake" agreement to take the Porsche financing as part of the deal, I would honor it. What's the time frame that allows the dealer to keep the fee - I have heard 4 or 6 months of payments mentioned here on the forums? Then you can refi that loan to your own lender (credit union, penfed, whatever) to get the lower rate.
You can also finance, pay off 95% of the remainder the next day, and leave a minimal amount left to accrue interest the next 4-6 months to keep the loan open. The remainder will be completely paid off with set payments each month. I would only do this if the dealer requires financing for a bigger discount.

Quick Reply: ADMs dropping