Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 05:48 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,367 Likes on 1,533 Posts

If you actually talk to tire engineers from the big three tire companies at the race tracks this topic always comes up - can you safely repair?. We had a hour long discussion on this topic over lunch during an AMG event I was Instructing at. Take from it what you will.

1) Any repair will affect the speed rating of the tire. Depending on the maker, they will either downgrade it or eliminate it.

2) Any intrusion into the tread breaks the steel belts in the tire. They will rust over time as water cannot be prevented from getting into the repair area. The steel belts can and will degrade causing eventual tire failure at some point. Therefore all repairs are temporary.

3) They do not recommend repairs.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:13 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
If you actually talk to tire engineers from the big three tire companies at the race tracks this topic always comes up - can you safely repair?. We had a hour long discussion on this topic over lunch during an AMG event I was Instructing at. Take from it what you will.

1) Any repair will affect the speed rating of the tire. Depending on the maker, they will either downgrade it or eliminate it.

2) Any intrusion into the tread breaks the steel belts in the tire. They will rust over time as water cannot be prevented from getting into the repair area. The steel belts can and will degrade causing eventual tire failure at some point. Therefore all repairs are temporary.

3) They do not recommend repairs.
As a mechanical engineer, I agree with all of this, but I don't think we are talking about tires used on track. Neither are we talking about tires that will se many years of street use. Tire manufacturers sell tires, not patching systems. Real world experience would indicate properly patched tires are safe when used by the everyday normal consumer . Otherwise you can bet your jury there would be a line of lawyers looking to make a killing off all the carnage!
The following 3 users liked this post by eagle1960:
AlterZgo (12-12-2022), Bluehighways (12-13-2022), TheGeneral (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:07 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
As a mechanical engineer, I agree with all of this, but I don't think we are talking about tires used on track. Neither are we talking about tires that will se many years of street use. Tire manufacturers sell tires, not patching systems. Real world experience would indicate properly patched tires are safe when used by the everyday normal consumer . Otherwise you can bet your jury there would be a line of lawyers looking to make a killing off all the carnage!
Agree 100% with this. Obviously if I’m doing a top speed run or doing mile drag race events, I’d want perfect tires. But for daily driving, nobody is doing more than 100… maybe occasional blasts to 130 for a few seconds. This is not going to destroy any properly patched tire. Also, rear tires wear out very fast thanks to PTV even under normal driving so I anticipate I will need to replace my rear tires in 10-15k miles max.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:48 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

It is your car it is your life you are free to do whatever you like. In all probability you will not have any issues, but NO tire manufacturer will recommend repairing. If you ever did have a major issue basically a tire failure causing an accident you would be on your own there would be very little chance of any liability on the tire manufacturer. The dealer will not repair them for that very reason.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:20 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Here is what a Compound Patch does to the Speed Rating of the Tire, per each Tire Manufacturer:

The following 4 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
AlterZgo (12-13-2022), BadlyDrawnBoy (03-27-2023), Diablo Dude (12-13-2022), PG5768 (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:52 AM
irontmp
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Assume you went to Porsche Arlington? If you ever need a tire, Porsche Chantilly stocks them all, at better prices, too. Last one I bought for my 992 rear was $ 400, with 10% OFF PCA DISCOUNT $ 360. I just bring them the wheel off the car, so its fast and inexpensive to get Tire Repairs Hollywood, I think I was $ 410 out the door with tax and installation.

Personally, I don't run plugs in my 911's. I will in my Ford Pickup truck, because it's not a $ 150K 911 can hit triple digit speeds in under 4 seconds. This argument goes on forever though - and always will. Just my .02
I got a flat tire today. Was driving in the city and must have run over some big construction staple that was sitting straight up. Either way it is right through the small part of the tread and lucid says they don't repair tires. They can only replace them. This tire has 13,000 mi on it and still looks great. Has anybody repaired their tires versus replacing them. I was told it has to do with the foam that's inside of them.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:30 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul018
Thanks guys. I’m a little leery about bringing it back to dealer as they charged $150 in labor to put on two tires. Might try a mobile service around here that gets good reviews and see what they say
just another tuesday night at the porsche dealers!
Old 02-01-2024, 08:49 AM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

I just purchased two rear tires last week one had a nail and both the useful life was about gone. I drove about twenty miles from dealership and picked up another nail in the new tire. Depending on what is in it and location can the tire be repaired ? The dealer won’t repair it only replace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Who did you buy the tires from, Tire rack and other online sellers usually include road hazard warranties with the tires.
Old 02-01-2024, 09:56 AM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by malba2366
Who did you buy the tires from, Tire rack and other online sellers usually include road hazard warranties with the tires.
Make sure you contact them first. I went through this with my Mom for tires I got her. The warranty wanted you to contact them first then they (Tire Rack) reimburse you after sending the invoice for the replaced tire.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:30 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Thanks guys. I’m a little leery about bringing it back to dealer as they charged $150 in labor to put on two tires. Might try a mobile service around here that gets good reviews and see what they say
Most Porsche dealers that I know don't deal with tire repair because they don't want the LIABILITY.
Any tire can be repaired at a competent shop as long as the puncture is not close to the sidewall.

Quick Reply: Tire Repair