Sponsored by:

Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Paul018
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tire Repair

I just purchased two rear tires last week one had a nail and both the useful life was about gone. I drove about twenty miles from dealership and picked up another nail in the new tire. Depending on what is in it and location can the tire be repaired ? The dealer won’t repair it only replace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:39 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Did you place the order through the PCNA Tire Store? If so, they come with 24 month road hazard warranty free of charge.

Free 24-Month Tire Road Hazard Protection (pcnatirestore.com)

edit: Your dealer has to participate in this program, but there is a search function on the above link to see if your dealer participates.
RHP (nsdmc.com)

Last edited by shrimp money; 12-10-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 04:40 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Sure, as long as it is not super close to the edge (outer rims where the tread turns to the sidewall). Most tire shops won't repair those. You can repair it on your own though if you want to chance it.

You'll get a wild varying opinion around here.

Take it to a tire shop and see what they would do. Any chance you got a road hazard warranty with your purchase?
Old 12-10-2022, 04:44 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 632 Posts

The only tire plugs I use are the safety seal. Never had an issue if you don’t want to plug take it to a tire shop and they will do a plug patch from the inside.
Amazon Amazon
The following 2 users liked this post by 4carl:
timjab (12-11-2022), tomtomtomtom (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 04:51 PM
Paul018
Advanced

Thanks guys. I’m a little leery about bringing it back to dealer as they charged $150 in labor to put on two tires. Might try a mobile service around here that gets good reviews and see what they say
Old 12-10-2022, 04:56 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul018
Thanks guys. I’m a little leery about bringing it back to dealer as they charged $150 in labor to put on two tires. Might try a mobile service around here that gets good reviews and see what they say
That's what my dealership charges in Dublin, OH.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:28 PM
Carrera3:16
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 41 Posts

I just purchased two rear tires last week one had a nail and both the useful life was about gone. I drove about twenty miles from dealership and picked up another nail in the new tire. Depending on what is in it and location can the tire be repaired ? The dealer won’t repair it only replace. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
This just happened to me last month...nail in the front tire of my 992. Went to the dealership and they said they don't do tire repair but would replace the tire for me. With labor would cost about $600.

The funny part is they said it would take about a month for the tire to come in as it is currently backordered. They told me to go to a gas station to get it fixed...instead I went to a local chain Tire/auto mechanic and they fixed it for $50.00 and said the tire would be fine until all 4 need to be replaced in another 5,000 to 10,000 miles.
The following users liked this post:
TimD (12-12-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:14 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera3:16
This just happened to me last month...nail in the front tire of my 992. Went to the dealership and they said they don't do tire repair but would replace the tire for me. With labor would cost about $600.

The funny part is they said it would take about a month for the tire to come in as it is currently backordered. They told me to go to a gas station to get it fixed...instead I went to a local chain Tire/auto mechanic and they fixed it for $50.00 and said the tire would be fine until all 4 need to be replaced in another 5,000 to 10,000 miles.
Assume you went to Porsche Arlington? If you ever need a tire, Porsche Chantilly stocks them all, at better prices, too. Last one I bought for my 992 rear was $ 400, with 10% OFF PCA DISCOUNT $ 360. I just bring them the wheel off the car, so its fast and inexpensive to get mounted and balanced, I think I was $ 410 out the door with tax and installation.

Personally, I don't run plugs in my 911's. I will in my Ford Pickup truck, because it's not a $ 150K 911 can hit triple digit speeds in under 4 seconds. This argument goes on forever though - and always will. Just my .02
Carrera3:16 (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 07:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

If it's not on the outer tread block, you could patch it (I personally would not plug).

As long as you're not tracking the car, I think a patch is fine and perfectly safe.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
Smirnoff67 (12-10-2022), TimD (12-12-2022), tomtomtomtom (12-10-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Paul018
Advanced

Thanks everyone for your input. Of course the tire is out of stock with no indication from dealer when available. If I wasn’t putting the car away for winter I wouldn’t be happy
Old 12-12-2022, 11:51 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

This is one of those topics where you’re going to get a lot of answers. If you research the topic, I think you’ll find that the reluctance of tire manufacturers and shops to plug tires is based entirely on liability concerns based entirely on one lawsuit that occurred many years ago. And this was before cars had TPMS. Back then, you’d pick up a nail and get a very slow leak. People rarely if ever checked tire pressure, so over weeks or months, the tire would slowly loose pressure and people would be running around with 10 psi. This would cause heat build up and could even cause the tire to break from the rim and lead to a blow out. That led to the roll-over lawsuits and that’s what led to the mandate of the TPMS. Now, if you lose 5 psi or so, you’ll get a warning on your dash. If any shop plugs a tire and then there is a crash (even unrelated to the tire) the owner will absolutely get sued because he violated the tire manufacturer’s recommendation against plugs. Therefore, shops would be crazy to take a chance.

I’ve plugged literally dozens of tires over the years. About 3 years ago, I got a nail through the sidewall of a tire the day before I was taking a trip. I plugged it and drove mainly as an experiment (and it was a rear tire). This was in my Mini that has a tire pressure and temperature display for each tire (I sure wish Porsche let me display temp. The bar graph is useless). I drove several hundred miles (at 85 mph - to make it a real test) with an eye on the temp and pressure. If they changed at all relative to the other 3, I would have stopped. I risked my life for science! 😊 (I predict that 5 people will call me an idiot now.)

I replaced the tire the next day, and inspected it from the inside. It looked perfectly fine. No signs of local stress or distortion. I’d never plug a sidewall as a permanent repair, but I’d certainly plug a nail hole in the thread area and have zero worries (as I’ve done many times).

Take that for what it’s worth. And if you crash and burn, don’t sue me!! I’m just some guy on a car forum. What do I know?

I think this is a funny article.
https://artsautomotive.com/home/art-...us/tire-plugs/

Last edited by Denny Swift; 12-12-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:11 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. Of course the tire is out of stock with no indication from dealer when available. If I wasn’t putting the car away for winter I wouldn’t be happy
Porsche dealers dont want to be in the tire business because of liability issues.

I've done business with America's Tire here in the SF Bay Area with my daily driver.
Once had a sizeable nail in the rear tire of my 981 GT4 and wound up going to America's Tire and they fixed it for FREE.

Their prices are pretty good too.
Of course my tires on the GT4 are Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's.

But I believe they charge only $414 / $458 for front and rear Pilot Sport 4S which is pretty much the same as Tire Rack.
And $359 / $462 for the Pirelli P Zero PZ4 Sports.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 12-12-2022 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 02:06 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 137 Posts

Another good source for good service is Discount Tire. I have had good experience with them on my Porsches. I have also found that true tire stores may have sources for tires that dealers don't. I would not accept a car dealer's claim that a tire is unavailable without checking with a mainline tire store.
I also have plugged many tires over the years with zero failures.
AlterZgo (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 03:30 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes. Tire can definitely be repaired as long as it's not too close to the sidewall. I would get it professionally patched vs. just using a tire plug. I have not had good luck w/ tire plugs even when done by a tire shop so I carry a plug kit just for emergencies. OTOH I have never had a patched tire fail or lose air and they have all gone on to work without issue until the tread wore out.

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Another good source for good service is Discount Tire. I have had good experience with them on my Porsches. I have also found that true tire stores may have sources for tires that dealers don't. I would not accept a car dealer's claim that a tire is unavailable without checking with a mainline tire store.
I also have plugged many tires over the years with zero failures.
This. Go to your local Discount Tire store. I have gone to them at least 3x - 3 different stores in 2 diffferent states to patch tires or get my leaky valve stem fixed. They have always done it free of charge. Because of their great service, I always buy my tires from them.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:39 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

A tire repair is just fine if what is used is called a "Compound Patch" that is installed from the inside of the tire and the hole is in the green area of the image below.

Repairable area of the tire.

Compound Patch

Quick Reply: Tire Repair