Sponsored by:

First Night Drive - Blinded by the (Interior) Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Tifoso
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 47 Posts
Default First Night Drive - Blinded by the (Interior) Light

I did my first night drive, and was surprised by the brightness of the (a) instrument panel, (b) PCM screen, (c) overhead light, and (d) overhead airbag warnings.

I did some searching and found some threads on (c) and (d) -- I ordered some tinted vinyl from Amazon (
Amazon Amazon
) to hopefully mitigate those items.

In terms of the instrument panel and PCM screen, I went through the menus and tried to dim as much as possible, but it didn't seem to make an appreciable difference? Any thoughts/experience to share? I may very well be missing something simple. I was looking for the typical interior brightness adjustment dial/****, to no avail.....
Old 11-08-2022, 04:14 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 326 Posts

Yeah, the screens don't get as dim as I'd like either. IIRC there are two screen brightness settings (for center screen and instrument cluster) and then an ambient lighting brightness (which doesn't affect the overhead or auxiliary lights - only the colored ambient light strips). Setting the two screen brightnesses to their minimum helps, but doesn't dim things quite enough.

I've been meaning to get a similar vinyl sheet and pop the overhead panel out to dim the lights up there, thanks for posting and prompting me to go ahead and order them.
The following users liked this post:
sharknose (11-10-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 04:25 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

I put a piece of tape over the airbag light and it dims it. You can't see the tape day or night. If you sell the car just pull it off.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:27 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,442 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1240...m-display.html
Old 11-08-2022, 06:31 PM
Tifoso
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Yeah, the screens don't get as dim as I'd like either. IIRC there are two screen brightness settings (for center screen and instrument cluster) and then an ambient lighting brightness (which doesn't affect the overhead or auxiliary lights - only the colored ambient light strips). Setting the two screen brightnesses to their minimum helps, but doesn't dim things quite enough.
This was my experience exactly. I went into the two screen brightness settings and set them to the minimum brightness, but they still seemed awfully bright. The difference was weirdly subtle.

Thanks for the link! I forgot to mention that I did find the option to turn off the PCM screen, which obviously made a big difference (and thought about using one of my programmable buttons to do so). But I was hoping to find a way to dim it further while still leaving it on. Hey, haven't I paid enough for the car to want it all?

Maybe I'm just being an old man - pining for the days when you could dim the lights way down with the simple twist of a **** (or Saab's famous "Night Panel" button that would turn off all interior lights except for the speedometer). It just seems much easier to drive at night with less ambient light in the cockpit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tifoso:
aggie57 (11-09-2022), sharknose (11-10-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 08:02 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Button “A” in the picture pressed in for a couple of seconds turns the PCM screen off. Really, the Owners Manual is helpful.
The following 6 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
aggie57 (11-09-2022), dhirm5 (11-09-2022), JDeRose (11-09-2022), passat774 (11-08-2022), Smirnoff67 (11-08-2022), Tifoso (11-09-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-09-2022, 10:08 AM
ScottTurbo
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I took other people’s idea and when I hard wired the radar detector, I put two strips of dark tint for the airbag lights and the area light from the back side. It’s much better now.
Old 11-09-2022, 10:41 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 180 Posts

I have to admit my olderE92 BMW redish interior lighting is better than the 992. Enough to see stuff, but not as much glare as the white coming from overhead and the rather bright instrument cluster and PCM screen. Interesting is that the optional ambient lighting isn't quite as interesting as my wife's G20 ambient lighting. Of course, chassis dynamics and power are a quantum leap over the Bimmers.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:48 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I have to admit my olderE92 BMW redish interior lighting is better than the 992. Enough to see stuff, but not as much glare as the white coming from overhead and the rather bright instrument cluster and PCM screen. Interesting is that the optional ambient lighting isn't quite as interesting as my wife's G20 ambient lighting. Of course, chassis dynamics and power are a quantum leap over the Bimmers.
I agree. I have always wondered why Porsche uses white light since my first 911 in 1985. I remember back in the early 1980's the BMW sales literature noted the reddish lighting mimicked some aircraft instrumentation, for better night vision. Astronomers also use reddish lighting since it does not impact night vision like white light. No excuse these days to neglect providing changeable colors for instrumentation lighting, particularly as we can choose the ambient light colors in many cars including Porsche's.

Quick Reply: First Night Drive - Blinded by the (Interior) Light