Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Music Source is Most Dynamic in 992S with Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 08:41 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 287 Posts
Default What Music Source is Most Dynamic in 992S with Bose?

I’m not an audiophile but I can tell the difference in music sources. I have the Bose in my ‘20 992S. In your opinion, what music source produces the most dynamic sound between:

Sirius XM;
FM;
Apple CarPlay (wired or wireless);
USB;
SD drive

Note - running Apple CarPlay off iPhone 13 Pro with Lossless audio, Dolby Atmos, and Spatial Audio enabled.

Last edited by Patriot; 10-09-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:32 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
I’m not an audiophile but I can tell the difference in music sources. I have the Bose in my ‘20 992S. In your opinion, what music source produces the most dynamic sound between:

Sirius XM;
FM;
Apple CarPlay (wired or wireless);
USB;
SD drive

Note - running Apple CarPlay off iPhone 13 Pro with Lossless audio, Dolby Atmos, and Spatial Audio enabled.
Sirius is the absolute worst (intolerable) and USB and SD drive with hires files such as ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV, DSD is the best if the system processes it well. Hires streaming from Tidal or a paid subscription from Amazon Music Unlimited etc., is also excellent. Original source is key. If you have poor quality music files you’ll get poor sounding music. Apple AAC files are low quality IMO, but for mass consumers it’s fine. Atmos and spatial audio is useless and provided by Apple to work on their Beats headphones or in-ears. It does not translate through your vehicles’ system. Since investing in a hires music library is expensive I’d suggest subscribing to a streaming service such as Tital or Amazon Music Unlimited (best value out there!!!), which will stream hires music files and you’ll be truly amazed at the difference in music quality and overall enjoyment.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 10-09-2022 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Guzzgreg (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 09:36 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

I understand Spotify has poor quality sound-any way to improve the experience?
Old 10-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 777 Likes on 287 Posts

^^Great responses so far. To be clear, the question in the subject line should be changed to most dynamic in the 992S with Bose.

edit: changed

Last edited by Patriot; 10-09-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I understand Spotify has poor quality sound-any way to improve the experience?
Yes pay for a subscription that streams hires audio files. The free stuff has highly compressed audio files. Spotify is terrible.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 10-09-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:58 AM
Laszlo_Laz
Pro

Originally Posted by Patriot
^^Great responses so far. To be clear, the question in the subject line should be changed to most dynamic in the 992S with Bose.

edit: changed
What does dynamic mean to you? Everything always starts with the native music file. If you have quality source music the Bose system will sound better, or more dynamic as you’re describing. This applies to any system or device (in most cases.) haha maybe I’m missing something?

In order:

SD
USB
Bluetooth
Apple Car Play

Everything else on your list is same same.

If you have poor source files all of the above will sound the same, muddy and flat.

Last edited by Laszlo_Laz; 10-09-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Mercuriell (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 02:04 PM
Charcharius
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
In order:

SD
USB
Bluetooth
Apple Car Play
I disagree a bit.

IMHO, and in general terms:
FM will be worst, Sirius is slightly better. Bluetooth next. Wireless CarPlay is better than these but close to Bluetooth.
Wired CarPlay, USB, and SD would all be the same PROVIDED the files are of comparable quality.
Tidal lossless, Apple lossless, any other lossless would be great.

However, if you are using low quality files, a Bluetooth/wireless connection would be as good as a wired connection.

Last edited by Charcharius; 10-09-2022 at 02:26 PM.
MG997 (10-14-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

For those of you who dont like sirius quality, how much cloud cover are you dealing with? I almost never have clouds in the sky, and sirius quality is not that bad...stop under a bridge and audio cuts out though.... (I only listen to 51-54 and a few other random channels), if sirius quality was really that bad I would have noticed it on studio 54...boney m's rasputin and everything else they play sound great via 54 though....which makes me wonder if you guys arent getting the "full quality" audio files from sirius (which is a satellite service)

tl;dr I wonder how much clouds in the sky are impacting sirius quality

I have only tried spotify and apppe music, i will try youtube music and compare with apple music soon, and try others (amazon, tidal) after

Last edited by Ull; 10-09-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

I find Apple Lossless on USB good but YouTube Music is pretty decent too and easily up to standard for car use.
Ull (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 06:24 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Laszlo_Laz
Sirius is the absolute worst (intolerable) and USB and SD drive with hires files such as ALAC, AIFF, FLAC, WAV, DSD is the best if the system processes it well. Hires streaming from Tidal or a paid subscription from Amazon Music Unlimited etc., is also excellent. Original source is key. If you have poor quality music files you’ll get poor sounding music. Apple AAC files are low quality IMO, but for mass consumers it’s fine. Atmos and spatial audio is useless and provided by Apple to work on their Beats headphones or in-ears. It does not translate through your vehicles’ system. Since investing in a hires music library is expensive I’d suggest subscribing to a streaming service such as Tital or Amazon Music Unlimited (best value out there!!!), which will stream hires music files and you’ll be truly amazed at the difference in music quality and overall enjoyment.
This is all correct, and I do this for a living.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:32 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Also worth noting Spotify, Tidal and Amazon music HD will all be very similar and excellent quality if high res content is chosen.

As for Sirius, it will always be crap regardless of cloud cover, unless they have changed something recently.

A bit tough to tell in any 911 but on a decent home system it's instantly obvious.
Russian Mafia (10-15-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Ull
Instructor

Originally Posted by SFAVGUY
Also worth noting Spotify, Tidal and Amazon music HD will all be very similar and excellent quality if high res content is chosen.

As for Sirius, it will always be crap regardless of cloud cover, unless they have changed something recently.

A bit tough to tell in any 911 but on a decent home system it's instantly obvious.
Ah yeah, just talking about in car music via a 992S w Bose, im sure sirius isnt spectacular on home systems with better options available

Cloud cover DOES matter for sirius...so if you live in a place with a bunch of rainy snowy cloudy or other weather you will NOT be getting good sirius audio via your car audio.

​​​​​​Does cloud cover affect satellite radio?The effect of cloud cover on satellite communication was investigated. The results showed that cloud cover actually affect satellite communication and is very much experienced during rainy season as lots of bad signals and unusable signals were recorded by the earth station during such period.​
​​​​​​All satellite internet services require signals to travel through earth’s atmosphere. Satellites are launched into space and are used to reflect internet signals from users back down to ground stations. The weather between the user and the satellite, or between the satellite and the ground station, always has the possibility of affecting the signal.​
If you live in a place with weather like rain or other stuff, youre not going to get the best sirius audio. Its not complicated, the signal degrades trying to reach you. It reaches you, but its degraded. If you want good sirius service just move to chandler if cloud cover or etc. degrade the signal then the inverse, a lack of cloud cover = a lack of signal degradation = better sirius audio, should be true

Spotify definitely is the worstaudio source I have tried so far, even on HQ i heard audio problems. Apple music and even sirius are better for me.

Last edited by Ull; 10-09-2022 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 08:05 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, cloud cover can certainly make it even worse but at its best Sirius is near the bottom of the barrel in sound quality vs any offering with high res. Honestly the only thing it will sound better than is fm.

QUOTE=Ull;18402523]Ah yeah, just talking about in car music via a 992S w Bose, im sure sirius isnt spectacular on home systems with better options available

Cloud cover DOES matter for sirius...so if you live in a place with a bunch of rainy snowy cloudy or other weather you will NOT be getting good sirius audio via your car audio.

If you live in a place with weather like rain or other stuff, youre not going to get the best sirius audio. Its not complicated, the signal degrades trying to reach you. It reaches you, but its degraded. If you want good sirius service just move to chandler if cloud cover or etc. degrade the signal then the inverse, a lack of cloud cover = a lack of signal degradation = better sirius audio, should be true

Spotify definitely is the worstaudio source I have tried so far, even on HQ i heard audio problems. Apple music and even sirius are better for me.[/QUOTE]
Ull (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 05:55 AM
Ull
Instructor

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, cloud cover can certainly make it even worse but at its best Sirius is near the bottom of the barrel in sound quality vs any offering with high res. Honestly the only thing it will sound better than is fm.
Yeah thats true, most any other HQ audio source will be better (except spotify which in my experience sucked), used sirius today and it was okay but engine sounds after hitting the tiny circle button is better (didnt bother bringing an iphone with me so no other choice, i dont use SD/USB cards)

Last edited by Ull; 10-10-2022 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:34 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

QUOTE=Ull;18402523]Ah yeah, just talking about in car music via a 992S w Bose, im sure sirius isnt spectacular on home systems with better options available

Spotify definitely is the worstaudio source I have tried so far, even on HQ i heard audio problems. Apple music and even sirius are better for me.
[/QUOTE]

Am confused as in your post #11 you indicated that Spotify along with Tidal and Amazon music are all high quality. What is the scoop on spotify. Any way it can sound good?

Quick Reply: What Music Source is Most Dynamic in 992S with Bose?