Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Music Source is Most Dynamic in 992S with Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 12:11 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 175 Posts

Am confused as in your post #11 you indicated that Spotify along with Tidal and Amazon music are all high quality. What is the scoop on spotify. Any way it can sound good?[/QUOTE]

Spotify Hifi has similar quality to Tidal HI Fi Plus and Amazon HD Music / These 3 are the most common High Res Options and can sound excellent if you choose High Res Music and play it on an appropriate system. In the 992 it's an improvement but it's not going to make near the difference that it would in a proper system at home. The confusing part with Spotify Hi Fi is they don't tell you what resolution there music is in, they just say it's High Res....Technically High Res is anything from 44.1 (CD Quality) all the way up to 192....there are higher rates but these aren't an option unless you are going from a PC. So Spotify lumps it all together which can suck for an audiophile. The other 2 will at least tell you what res they are sending.

Long story short this is a bit of a rabbit hole that won't have a ton of impact on any of the Porsche Factory Systems, kind of like feeding premium gas to your 30 year old Civic.....you may swear it makes the car way faster, but does it really matter? If your at the point that your worried about the resolution of the music your feeding your audio system in the 992 it might be time to break out the checkbook and look in to a proper aftermarket set up, there is an awesome detailed thread here that shows what that looks like. Having come from a background of having audio systems in cars that cost more than the car is worth I decided with this vehicle I just wanted to drive and listen to music when I get home.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by SFAVGUY; 10-10-2022 at 12:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFAVGUY:
Russian Mafia (10-15-2022), Staffie Guy (10-10-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 12:24 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ull
I almost never have clouds in the sky, and sirius quality is not that bad... if sirius quality was really that bad I would have noticed it on studio 54.....which makes me wonder if you guys arent getting the "full quality" audio files from sirius (which is a satellite service
Originally Posted by Ull
Yeah thats true, most any other HQ audio source will be better

So which one is it?
Old 10-11-2022, 03:46 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Sorry as I am not an audiophile but.

I don't stream from Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music, etc. I only play from my library, mainly because I listen to a lot of music that I could not get in any sort of HiRes Streaming format, those services just wouldn't have it. Quite a bit of my library is live recordings or more rare pieces. That said what I do listen to outside of that could be obtained through those sources, but then I'd have to jump back and forth between how I get my content. And honestly at the end of the day I want to hear the engine.
Old 10-11-2022, 01:19 PM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
So which one is it?
Its both, try reading comprehension

sound quality from sirius can be "not that bad" while simultaneously "other sources can be better" . Implying that something cant be good if something better exists doesnt track, the logic is not really there to support such a conclusion.

Spotify has an upper limit to the sound quality it outputs, other streaming services offer higher quality audio, so spotify is not as good as apple music or etc. by the time its output from the speakers (I used to subscribe to spotify, the terrible in car audio is what made me switch to apple music - and by terrible I mean audio artefacts like crackles and etc when thats not part of the song, I listen with high volumes and have a good range of hearing (slightly beyond normal at both ends, everyones ears are different so you may not notice what I do with spotify), my hearing makes artefacts more noticeable to me. BTW sirius does not have audio quality issues like spotify did for me.)

just google spotify lossless, its not a thing - any lossless service will provide better audio

the way to improve spotify sound quality to match apple music or etc. is for spotify to upgrade their services - they "announced" lossless in 2021...still waiting for a release

also just to be clear, I havent used tidal or etc. with my car, that was incorporating someone elses (presumably informed, laszlo seemes enthusiastic) opinion - my car has been tested with sirius, apple, and spotify, will test yt music today - from what I've gathered Apple Music is generally the best choice if you have an iPhone, but I'll compare with the rest just to check, probably the main difference between lossless services will be how fast can the streaming service/storage media transfer the data to the cars audio, which is a tough comparison lol

Last edited by Ull; 10-11-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:12 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

I tried my ipod through the USB -c adapter and it doesn't work. Is there a trick for this?
Old 10-12-2022, 11:50 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
I tried my ipod through the USB -c adapter and it doesn't work. Is there a trick for this?
I suggest you just transfer your music onto a USB-C thumb drive. It will be more reliable and work better than via an iPod. You can just copy your iTunes music directory as-is onto the USB drive and the PCM will recognize it, the albums and artists, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikey94025:
991.1 Guy (10-12-2022), Ull (10-12-2022)
Old 10-12-2022, 01:06 PM
aboutporsche
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO: SD
Old 10-12-2022, 08:28 PM
Charcharius
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Not sure I'm understanding you correctly, but I'll guess:
In my 911, the iPod input doesn't appear if the car is using CarPlay. To force this (I do this each time), plug in your iPhone, put it into airplane mode (via control center, swipe down from the top right of your screen), select the iPod input via the PCM, then turn off airplane mode (so you can take calls, etc.).
Old 10-14-2022, 08:21 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ull

sound quality from sirius can be "not that bad" while simultaneously "other sources can be better" .

Very true but also completely inaccurate in your two posts that took opposing positions. Applying reading comp outside of context allows one to mislead. But its fine, it is entirely consistent with your other "look at me" posts.
Old 10-14-2022, 10:13 AM
MG997
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I play hi res streaming playlists or services from my iPhone but I always hard wire. Big sound difference IMO compared to Bluetooth. The only downside is I consistently forget my phone in the car!
Old 10-14-2022, 11:49 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Apparently Spotify announced a lossless audio product earlier this year for rollout "this year", but I had to google to find it and it's apparently not been released yet - maybe in beta for a few people? Until then, Apple Music's lossless or Tidal are the best bets for streaming. You can go into Spotify settings and select "very high" for playback quality, but that's still "only" 320kbps -- widely accepted to be "nearly lossless" and great for most usage, but obviously not actually lossless.

For absolute best quality, the file types mentioned above by Laszlo on a USB or SD card is the way to go. Far less accessible for most, but for the few who want to go this route it provides... peace of mind, i guess?

For what it's worth, there should be no difference in quality between wired apple carplay and wireless - the wireless is actually wi-fi, rather than bluetooth, and thus carries sufficient bandwidth for lossless audio. Can't speak to Android Auto but I'd bet it's the same story there.

Last edited by zachr; 10-14-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:56 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by zachr
Apparently Spotify announced a lossless audio product earlier this year for rollout "this year", but I had to google to find it and it's apparently not been released yet - maybe in beta for a few people? Until then, Apple Music's lossless or Tidal are the best bets for streaming. You can go into Spotify settings and select "very high" for playback quality, but that's still "only" 320kbps -- widely accepted to be "nearly lossless" and great for most usage, but obviously not actually lossless.

For absolute best quality, the file types mentioned above by Laszlo on a USB or SD card is the way to go. Far less accessible for most, but for the few who want to go this route it provides... peace of mind, i guess?

For what it's worth, there should be no difference in quality between wired apple carplay and wireless - the wireless is actually wi-fi, rather than bluetooth, and thus carries sufficient bandwidth for lossless audio. Can't speak to Android Auto but I'd bet it's the same story there.
How do you access Spotify settings on an Iphone?
Old 10-14-2022, 12:01 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
How do you access Spotify settings on an Iphone?
From the Your Library tab, at the top left you should see your profile picture. Tap on the profile picture and then Audio Quality will be one of the options abut 3/4ths of the way down.

I think Spotify offers a free version where better quality is locked out, but if you're paying for it the high/very high options should be available.
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (10-14-2022)

Quick Reply: What Music Source is Most Dynamic in 992S with Bose?