Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you agree with Nick - C2S is ULTIMATE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 10:57 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

The Kiwi is now a US citizen, if that counts?
Old 10-07-2022, 11:07 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

The more you learn about these cars and the more that you drive them, the more that you will understand that Nick is no expert.

Nick is for ENTERTAINMENT purposes only.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:09 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
Now that’s funny! How can you make that claim? I guess anyone with a British accent has to be brilliant and trustworthy. And your position seems to be that whoever has the most YouTube followers is the most trustworthy?

One thing, compared to reviews from various automotive venues….nick has no brand sponsorship, or takes any advertising money from a car manufacturer. Nick speaks his opinion and doesn’t have to worry about any repercussions from any manufacturer. For me, that’s a huge plus.

I first tuned into Nick’s YouTube channel when I was building my 992 a few years ago, to get his take on the huge number of options offered by Porsche. It was overwhelming for the new buyer to the brand, and while I ultimately agreed with many of the things Nick had to say, some others I did not agree with. It’s all opinion, anyway.

The following 4 users liked this post by CodyBigdog:
jtsrenn (10-07-2022), PorscheSince2013 (10-08-2022), SBAD (10-07-2022), Staffie Guy (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
The Kiwi is now a US citizen, if that counts?
His video on becoming a US citizen is inspiring.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mark S:
DoubleD992GTS (10-09-2022), jtsrenn (10-07-2022), SBAD (10-07-2022), Staffie Guy (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:09 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Keep in mind that Nick’s comments are directed at the Porsche naive or people just coming into the brand. Assuming those people are already sports car enthusiasts, his advice squares with the average newbie, most of whom never heard of Rennlist or care.

I essentially chose my C2S MT for the same reasons. And as someone trained in marketing but with a good mechanical inclination, I could see right through the Porsche marketing bull**** - all designed to UPSELL the customer by creating anxiety that their choice isn’t good enough.

Last edited by SBAD; 10-07-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Russian Mafia (10-09-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 12:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,540 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Nick is considered one of the key people to watch to get his thoughts. He backs it up with real practical thoughts with an appreciation for maximizing options for the buck. As soon as one of his videos hits, he gets tons of views so that should count for something. A lot of people are interested in his opinion.
Again, that's your opinion.

Many people on Rennlist, some even on this thread, are much more informed and knowledgeable than Nick Murray.

And while he may have a Youtube channel and gets (as you say) "tons of views" that doesn't make him any kind of a "key people" than anyone else here. Being popular does not make you knowledgeable about a subject. Ronald McDonalds is popular, but Thomas Keller is arguably much more informed about food and cooking.

As to Nick's thoughts and statements about future Porsche models and plans, when he says such things he is just basically being a mouthpiece for his local Porsche dealer. There's nothing wrong with that, but we should just acknowledge it.

Again, if you find Nick enjoyable that's fine and your'e entitled to your opinion.

But just understand that Nick's videos should be treated just like your daily horoscopes, for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 10-07-2022 at 12:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
CanAutM3 (10-07-2022), gthal (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:24 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Revans134
100% degree, my C2S with high options with 575 crank hp and 460 ft lbs with the M engineering tune is the best of both worlds
Originally Posted by dixonk
Turbo power with RWD. What a hoot. I love my M-Tuned C2S.
I agree the M Engineering tune seems fantastic (and raises the C2 performance massively) but is no one worried about potential warranty issues if there is a problem with the car at some point... or resale? Personally, I would NOT buy a car that had been tuned. Not because it's inherently a bad thing (it isn't) but there is no way Porsche won't know if they want to know and it also may signal the car was driven very hard and I don't want to inherit the pain of the previous owner. I love the idea of a tune but the potential (even remote) downsides and possible impact on resale would worry me.

Why do I say this... if someone feels the C2S is the ultimate car after a tune, that may be true BUT it is only relevant for a small group of owners. Most owners are not risking warranty/resale by tuning their $150K car even if, in reality, it's probably very safe to do so. So, the M-Tune argument relative to it elevating the C2S is limited to the small number of owners who choose to go that route and not really meaningful in a discussion around whether a C2S, on its own merits, is the best 911 or not IMO.

Last edited by gthal; 10-07-2022 at 01:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gthal:
devexpert (10-09-2022), SharkyGT4 (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 01:54 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsrenn
Um, Nick's from New Zealand.....
Yeah, how do Kiwi's measure torque?!?!? Don't get me into something metric.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:03 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gthal
I agree the M Engineering tune seems fantastic (and raises the C2 performance massively) but is no one worried about potential warranty issues if there is a problem with the car at some point... or resale? Personally, I would NOT buy a car that had been tuned. Not because it's inherently a bad thing (it isn't) but there is no way Porsche won't know if they want to know and it also may signal the car was driven very hard and I don't want to inherit the pain of the previous owner. I love the idea of a tune but the potential (even remote) downsides and possible impact on resale would worry me.

Why do I say this... if someone feels the C2S is the ultimate car after a tune, that may be true BUT it is only relevant for a small group of owners. Most owners are not risking warranty/resale by tuning their $150K car even if, in reality, it's probably very safe to do so. So, the M-Tune argument relative to it elevating the C2S is limited to the small number of owners who choose to go that route and not really meaningful in a discussion around whether a C2S, on its own merits, is the best 911 or not IMO.
Ok. Well, you say that tuning the engine may put undue stress on it that could have a negative impact.

The M-Engineering Tune offers approx. 75hp gain over the stock engine. That is somewhat significant and I can understand the argument that such and increase is not what that engine was built to withstand, etc. EXCEPT for the fact that the C2S / C4S engine was not built as the C2S / C4S engine. It was built as the GTS engine, which Porsche then detuned down to the C2S / C4S. The GTS engine doesn't have 30 more HP because it was made differently, it simply is the engine as Porsche intended without the limiting factors placed upon it for the C2S / C4S models. As a result the M-Engineering Tune essentially removes that limit and goes beyond it. YES, you can argue that by going beyond it, that higher level could be more than the engine can handle. But I would be shocked if the Porsche engines as built and released to the general public are at the top end of their performance and that there isn't more headroom available. Similar to how CPUs can be overclocked.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:11 PM
McLaren997
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. For me, the base is the right choice. Even Nick Murray agrees the base is a great car but he pans it because there is no manual transmission, no torque vectoring, and the resale value is not as good. I don't track my car and while I like the manual transmission they are too much of a hassle in traffic for me now, my 2012 911 had one. Finally I don't care about the resale value and I think he is wrong. The turbo base cars will hold their value fine IMO.
Pcar81 (10-09-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:34 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

I’ll echo what others have said, the “ultimate” 992 depends on each’s use case, preference and budget.

When I started shopping for a 992, I was pretty much set on the C2S. However, the more I got to understand the details of the different 911 variants, I finally settled on a turbo. As a dual use car, that serves both 4-season daily duty and well as fulfilling my track addiction, the turbo is the “ultimate” for me.

That is the beauty with Porsche, they offer so many variants and customization, that everyone will find their own “ultimate” 911.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:12 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

You guys have some good points for sure. Nick also says that Silver, Black, White and Gray for a Porsche are just wildly boring. He really goes after the Agate. I have GT Silver personally so can't say I agree with him on his color opinions. I did watch his video when I first placed my order and it did confirm some things for me like not to get the puddle lights and creating contrast between the interior vs exterior which did help.

There really isn't anybody else on YouTube talking about this kind of stuff WRT Porsches. Who else do you guys subscribe to? Everyone else seems to just discuss performance and then they go on drives and comment on how wonderful the car is.

He is very popular. So much so that he doesn't want to do meet ups because everyone wants to talk to him.
Old 10-07-2022, 03:19 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

So far what I've gathered from this thread is that Nick Murray=Jesus Christ.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
Autobacs (10-07-2022), Jkb545 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,540 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
You guys have some good points for sure. Nick also says that Silver, Black, White and Gray for a Porsche are just wildly boring. He really goes after the Agate. I have GT Silver personally so can't say I agree with him on his color opinions. I did watch his video when I first placed my order and it did confirm some things for me like not to get the puddle lights and creating contrast between the interior vs exterior which did help.

There really isn't anybody else on YouTube talking about this kind of stuff WRT Porsches. Who else do you guys subscribe to? Everyone else seems to just discuss performance and then they go on drives and comment on how wonderful the car is.

He is very popular. So much so that he doesn't want to do meet ups because everyone wants to talk to him.
Youtube is a nice platform, but it is not necessarily the best source of information. Sometimes it is, sometimes it is not.

If you want just information about Porsches, then you are at the right place. As the collective wisdom on Rennlist is far better and much more informed than any one single Youtuber.

That said, if you want just some basic information about 911s, check out savagegeese's channel, which has several Porsche videos.

Here is a link to savagegeese's channel with all of his Porsche content. https://www.youtube.com/c/savagegees...?query=porsche
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Autobacs (10-07-2022), detansinn (10-07-2022), devexpert (10-09-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 04:01 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
So far what I've gathered from this thread is that Nick Murray=Jesus Christ.
Then improve your reading comprehension. That is NOT the general consensus on RL or really within this thread.
jtsrenn (10-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Do you agree with Nick - C2S is ULTIMATE!