Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reaction from BMW drivers and other brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 11:46 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Everybody wants a piece. The bigger the bucket they drive, the bigger the piece they want. 40k-60k car drivers have an inadequacy-syndrome. Many stories. Our cars aren't even that fancy either. People want to associate themselves with winning. This happens in every 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dude41:
iguana (09-03-2022), Litigator (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 12:33 AM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
So long as you understand that both drivers in any street race even on a wide stretch of open road are criminally and legally responsible for whatever happens. That is the point you and others are missing with the "stoplight street racing on a busy highway" is different from racing on a "wide open stretch of road" argument. Under the law, racing is racing which is illegal on all public roads everywhere. Period. Once you enter into the race with another driver on any public road you are a knowing and willing participant in an illegal joint venture and jointly responsible for what foreseeably follows. Even if you are a driving god and drive perfectly, you are still now legally responsible for the mistakes and poor judgment of the other driver who you probably never met and know nothing about. So from that standpoint, it is apples and apples. Here is an example: Suppose Fullyield and Tupper are racing on a "wide open stretch of road" or interstate with no one else around. At 140 mph, Fullyield has a left front blowout (or other mechanical problem) on this "wide open stretch of road" and hits a guardrail, sign or tree killing Fullyield and severely injuring his passenger. The other driver in the race, Tupper, and his passenger are not directly involved in the accident except as the other participant in the race. Tupper is both criminally responsible and legally liable for the death of Fullyield and injuries to his passenger because Tupper knowingly engaged in the illegal activity with Fullyield and contributed to it. Tupper is now in the exact same position as the Nissan driver in the Florida case who was sentenced to 6 years in prison even though he was not directly involved in the accident killing the mother and child either. It takes two to race so both drivers racing illegally are held responsible. To make matters worse, most automobile insurance policies exclude any type of racing activity from coverage so now both racing drivers on that "wide open stretch of road" are most likely uninsured in the subsequent wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits.

So, if you want to stretch your car to see if it will really do 180 mph, my suggestions are: 1.) go to a track where all the rules are different, 2) do it by yourself and not in a racing environment or "giving it a bit of throttle if another driver wants to compare" and, as important, 3.) do not discuss it on a public forum if you do.
Very good advice.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:10 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
While racing isn’t allowed on there, can two guys go fast at the same time?
One behind the other on the left lane each at 180 mph, if the traffic allows - yes. Side by side would probably called “racing”.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:03 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

Just read all the posts.. Funny thing is I'm also in AZ, notice a common trend here?

I've been involved in a hit and run accident by some moron in an electric volvo. 52 year old man with his son. He cut me off in a right turn lane and brake checked me several times. After the right turn I was behind him and he was idling forward. I switched lanes and he switched lanes in front of me. Again, and again. I let some space between us and I sped up and went around. He also sped up. I should have hammered on the throttle because when I switched lanes over in front he turned into me and his tire hit mine. Guy took off running. Followed him for 6 miles until he got caught up in traffic right next to a sherriff. I got out of my car and tapped on the cop's window and pointed the guy out. Cop made him pull over. Luckily no damage to my car at all and it was rubber on rubber contact. The guy claimed he was scared for his life and got off scott free.

Just recently in the same area there was a lifted GMC diesel that blows black smoke. I was coming up on a red light with an open right lane. He was behind another truck in the left lane. At the last second he switches over into the right lane in front of me. I knew what was coming. When the light turned green I made sure to let him go and gain at least 15 cars worth of space. He was moving very slow. I gradually got to speed and at around 40mph he started to match my speed when I got closer and closer. Got to 45 and noticed his acceleration pick up. His exhaust pipe was on the passenger side. I switched to the left lane while gaining on him and he proceeded to also switch lanes in front of me.. Dropped the hammer and swung out further left around him into the turning lane. He also gunned it and shot out plumes of black smoke. None of his smoke touched my car. Guy went ballistic and began driving aggressively. At the next light he came within a foot of my rear bumper and tailgated me. I continued on my way driving completely normal and pulled some smooth maneuvers to make another right turn. He followed me all the way to my buddy's house and took off home.

People are f'd in the head. Dozens of stories.

I've also been flipped off among a bunch of other things... One thing I have noticed is that in a 911 Carrera I get much more hate than a 911 Turbo.. Something about the Turbo commands more respect. Way more positivity in the TTS vs my past two Carreras.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:55 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
No offense, but I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of cranky grampas. So what if somebody in an M5 decides to engage in some spirited driving?

I'm not advocating for all out street racing. But you get a stretch of wide open road and you both want to figure out whose car accelerates faster for a few seconds.

Not sure why people--particularly 911 owners--have to get so hot and bothered by that. Not a big deal
It was in heavy traffic, that was my complaint, not to mention the jackwagon was coming up on my rear bumper. So yeah, I have a problem with it.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:05 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by kyosha
Back in the 70's when I lived in Phoenix, I owned a 73 Porsche 911S I would be sitting at a light and all sorts of muscle cars would pull up to race., Cars would pull up and want to drag race, Phoenix is laid out on one block grids. the light goes red on every block. As you know MT aren't the quickest off the line. By third I usually had them and I would shut it down with the brakes and usually watch them skidding though a yellow lig

Where I live now is a couple of hours outside of Moab, and people around here have overpowered Jeeps with no doors and a tent on Top. Could not believe he revved his engine. The other crazy ones are Subaru's

Pretty sure EVERY Jeep now has a tent on top. At least really seems like it.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Error

Last edited by Tupper; 09-02-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:01 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

My experience has been 100% positive so far. I give thumbs up to many others. I compliment other sports car drivers at gas stations etc. Even if it's a 20 year old in a Mini. I try to not be a snob and people seem to be cool! I don't wait for them to tell me I have a cool car.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (09-03-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 03:31 PM
LAMANC
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
Anyone here experiencing aggressive driving nature against their 992 from BMW 3 series drivers?

I drive in a very peaceful/safe manner and today witnessed multiple 3 series drivers floor their cars at a stoplight next to me. There are other cars on the road and the way these drivers drive creates a very unsafe environment.
Teslas - always like to drag race at lights
Old 09-02-2022, 10:25 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Just read all the posts.. Funny thing is I'm also in AZ, notice a common trend here?

I've been involved in a hit and run accident by some moron in an electric volvo. 52 year old man with his son. He cut me off in a right turn lane and brake checked me several times. After the right turn I was behind him and he was idling forward. I switched lanes and he switched lanes in front of me. Again, and again. I let some space between us and I sped up and went around. He also sped up. I should have hammered on the throttle because when I switched lanes over in front he turned into me and his tire hit mine. Guy took off running. Followed him for 6 miles until he got caught up in traffic right next to a sherriff. I got out of my car and tapped on the cop's window and pointed the guy out. Cop made him pull over. Luckily no damage to my car at all and it was rubber on rubber contact. The guy claimed he was scared for his life and got off scott free.

Just recently in the same area there was a lifted GMC diesel that blows black smoke. I was coming up on a red light with an open right lane. He was behind another truck in the left lane. At the last second he switches over into the right lane in front of me. I knew what was coming. When the light turned green I made sure to let him go and gain at least 15 cars worth of space. He was moving very slow. I gradually got to speed and at around 40mph he started to match my speed when I got closer and closer. Got to 45 and noticed his acceleration pick up. His exhaust pipe was on the passenger side. I switched to the left lane while gaining on him and he proceeded to also switch lanes in front of me.. Dropped the hammer and swung out further left around him into the turning lane. He also gunned it and shot out plumes of black smoke. None of his smoke touched my car. Guy went ballistic and began driving aggressively. At the next light he came within a foot of my rear bumper and tailgated me. I continued on my way driving completely normal and pulled some smooth maneuvers to make another right turn. He followed me all the way to my buddy's house and took off home.

People are f'd in the head. Dozens of stories.

I've also been flipped off among a bunch of other things... One thing I have noticed is that in a 911 Carrera I get much more hate than a 911 Turbo.. Something about the Turbo commands more respect. Way more positivity in the TTS vs my past two Carreras.
I moved from CA to AZ 4 yrs ago and man all of that stuff you mentioned I've seen or experienced myself. I don't know WTF is up with AZ drivers. I have had drivers - typically in those huge monster trucks, flip me off as I'm riding my road bike completely within the bike lane minding my own business. I've also noticed that many AZ drivers MUST cut someone off no matter what. So if I'm in a line of cars and there's barely 2 car lengths btw me and the car ahead and no cars at all behind me and some dude or girl has to make a lane change into my lane, they won't just pull in behind me where there is infinite space, but absolutely MUST accelerate and squeeze in front of me. Left turns are super treacherous in AZ. I have seen more left turn intersection in accidents in AZ the past 4 yrs than I have seen in all 45 yrs I lived in California.

Then, during the winter mos when snowbirds come back to AZ, there are either people driving 55 mphs in the fast lane... or people speeding like crazy. There is no in between. There are some good things though. I do appreciate that the cops in AZ are much more relaxed and don't really care if you're doing 80-85 on the fwy or 60 mph in a 45 mph zone on the streets. I've also accelerated really hard to get on the fwy once and probably got up to 100 or so and slowed back down to 75 and a cop pulled up right behind me, watched me for a while - probably running my plate - then just left me alone.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:02 AM
iguana
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I've only had a P-car for 8 months, so my experience might not be statistically valid. But the only time someone wanted to race was a teen in a rusty Honda Civic with straight pipes. When he revved his engine, I rolled my eyes. And when the light turned green, I just accelerated at my normal, relaxed pace. Turns out, that was also the pace of his car at full throttle

I decided to slow down and keep next to him just to see when he'd shift into second gear. He never did - and judging by the noises his car made when the cloud of smoke appeared it will never, ever make it to 2nd gear.

The counterpoint to that is my daughter in her Tesla 3. Every car that thinks they are halfway fast wants to race her. And she smokes them every time. EV is the way to go if you want to win the stoplight wars.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:25 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ LOL, that sorry about the teenager in the Honda gave me a good laugh
Old 09-03-2022, 12:50 PM
HashTag
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

True story from this morning. We're on the way back from the Together Fest at my dealership, right lane doing 72 in a 65 minding our own business. Out of nowhere comes this KIA SUV (the $99/month and a second one free kind) and flies by - just to get in front of me and immediately slowing down below the 72 I was going. So I leisurely switched to the left lane, passing the guy. He, of course accelerates and I (very slowly) keep up. At about 85 he has a car in front of him and needs to brake. Next thing he aggressively changed lanes, got behind me and started tailgating. As soon as I finished passing, I went back to the right lane (slowing down to 72). Now he gets next to me doing exactly my speed so that now I would have to brake. At this point I was fed up and floored it (M-Engineering tune for motor and PDK). Within a second there's a gap of the size of the USS Nimitz between us and I once again slow down. He was riding my butt until I got off. What in the world are people thinking... ???
chance6 (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 02:34 PM
992.Turbo.S
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

All these stories are examples of people with mental health issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by 992.Turbo.S:
911dude41 (09-03-2022), HashTag (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 02:37 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
All these stories are examples of people with mental health issues.
Maybe we're all a little bit crazy. We did spend obscene amounts of money on an appliance, after all 😁
HashTag (09-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Reaction from BMW drivers and other brands