Sponsored by:

Reaction from BMW drivers and other brands

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 03:31 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
No offense, but I feel like I'm listening to a bunch of cranky grampas. So what if somebody in an M5 decides to engage in some spirited driving?

I'm not advocating for all out street racing. But you get a stretch of wide open road and you both want to figure out whose car accelerates faster for a few seconds.

Not sure why people--particularly 911 owners--have to get so hot and bothered by that. Not a big deal
OK doctor and RL Community Team member justify this - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-daughter.html

Two Florida teenage drivers in a Mustang and a Nissan street racing from a stoplight lose control @ 100+mph killing 24-year-old mother and 1-year-old daughter who were pedestrians. Drivers sent to state prison for 24 years and 6 years. Four lives ruined not including the overwhelming loss to the husband/father/family of the victims and to the drivers' parents and families. Driver who received the 6 year prison was not involved in the accident. He was just the other driver (Nissan) racing from the stoplight but he still contributed to the accident. But,..... "Not a big deal" you say????????

Last edited by Fullyield; 08-31-2022 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phila12180 (09-01-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 03:33 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
OK doctor, justify this - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-daughter.html

Two Florida teenage drivers in a Mustang and a Nissan street racing from a stoplight lose control @ 100+mph killing 24-year-old mother and 1-year-old daughter who were pedestrians pedestrians. Drivers sent to state prison for 24 years and 6 years. Four lives ruined. Not a big deal????????
I kind of figured Tupper had it coming with his comment and here it is...
Old 08-31-2022, 03:43 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Not advocating street racing in any form or place, but there are differences in Tupper’s "a stretch of wide open road' versus stoplight racing in Miami. Not apples to apples here but I know many are quick to jump on replies of many sorts on this no longer "Technical Discussion" forum. Typical of what gives Porsche folks a bad name in some circles and many of the naysayers are posers to boot.
The following 2 users liked this post by icanthelpit:
NastyHabits (08-31-2022), Tupper (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 04:10 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Not advocating street racing in any form or place, but there are differences in Tupper’s "a stretch of wide open road' versus stoplight racing in Miami. Not apples to apples here but I know many are quick to jump on replies of many sorts on this no longer "Technical Discussion" forum. Typical of what gives Porsche folks a bad name in some circles and many of the naysayers are posers to boot.
Wide open road like this?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...h-crown-rally/
Old 08-31-2022, 04:13 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ Exactly. It's not hard to Google stupid teenagers getting into accidents. But I stand behind what I said earlier. I have no problem, in the right scenario, giving a bit of throttle if another driver wants to compare.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
dhirm5 (08-31-2022), srf409 (09-01-2022), surquhar (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 04:22 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
^ They were participating in a rally, it's in the article.

Again, we are not in favor of street racing

Last edited by Tupper; 08-31-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:39 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

^ They were participating in a rally, it's in the article.

Again, we are not in favor of street racing
oh ok. gotcha, it seems like a few folks are making excueses for the "right kind" of street racing. also the rules of the rally are no speeding. those guys in the article were doing 140+ on a public road. could have easily taken out a family in a minivan, that road wasn't closed for the rally.

https://www.crownrally.com/clunkercruise/terms.html
Old 08-31-2022, 04:49 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
oh ok. gotcha, it seems like a few folks are making excueses for the "right kind" of street racing. also the rules of the rally are no speeding. those guys in the article were doing 140+ on a public road. could have easily taken out a family in a minivan, that road wasn't closed for the rally.

https://www.crownrally.com/clunkercruise/terms.html
Re-read the first sentence in post #63 and get back to us. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:53 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I've owned 5 bimmers and never felt the urge to challenge on the road, but I've never had the performance car, E9, E39 x's 2 (530i 5sp sport package, the sweet spot), E92, F30, G20. My interest is more in handling dynamics rather than acceleration ... preservation of momentum through the twisties. OTOH, I have a colleague with a C7 Z06 and once my GTS is broken in, I'd like to do a pull on an empty stretch of straight road.
The c7z should slap us in a roll, might be close from a dig out to about the quarter mile mark though. Unless you tune the GTS 😈
Old 08-31-2022, 07:26 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

^ Exactly. It's not hard to Google stupid teenagers getting into accidents. But I stand behind what I said earlier. I have no problem, in the right scenario, giving a bit of throttle if another driver wants to compare.
So long as you understand that both drivers in any street race even on a wide stretch of open road are criminally and legally responsible for whatever happens. That is the point you and others are missing with the "stoplight street racing on a busy highway" is different from racing on a "wide open stretch of road" argument. Under the law, racing is racing which is illegal on all public roads everywhere. Period. Once you enter into the race with another driver on any public road you are a knowing and willing participant in an illegal joint venture and jointly responsible for what foreseeably follows. Even if you are a driving god and drive perfectly, you are still now legally responsible for the mistakes and poor judgment of the other driver who you probably never met and know nothing about. So from that standpoint, it is apples and apples. Here is an example: Suppose Fullyield and Tupper are racing on a "wide open stretch of road" or interstate with no one else around. At 140 mph, Fullyield has a left front blowout (or other mechanical problem) on this "wide open stretch of road" and hits a guardrail, sign or tree killing Fullyield and severely injuring his passenger. The other driver in the race, Tupper, and his passenger are not directly involved in the accident except as the other participant in the race. Tupper is both criminally responsible and legally liable for the death of Fullyield and injuries to his passenger because Tupper knowingly engaged in the illegal activity with Fullyield and contributed to it. Tupper is now in the exact same position as the Nissan driver in the Florida case who was sentenced to 6 years in prison even though he was not directly involved in the accident killing the mother and child either. It takes two to race so both drivers racing illegally are held responsible. To make matters worse, most automobile insurance policies exclude any type of racing activity from coverage so now both racing drivers on that "wide open stretch of road" are most likely uninsured in the subsequent wrongful death and personal injury lawsuits.

So, if you want to stretch your car to see if it will really do 180 mph, my suggestions are: 1.) go to a track where all the rules are different, 2) do it by yourself and not in a racing environment or "giving it a bit of throttle if another driver wants to compare" and, as important, 3.) do not discuss it on a public forum if you do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fullyield:
phila12180 (09-01-2022), Zakato70 (09-02-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 07:47 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 597 Likes on 265 Posts

Just make a trip to Germany, rent a 911 and enjoy what it can do - legally on the Autobahn!
Racing, however, is also not allowed in Germany.
The following 2 users liked this post by German1967:
Fullyield (08-31-2022), icanthelpit (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 09:20 PM
HashTag
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
Just make a trip to Germany, rent a 911 and enjoy what it can do - legally on the Autobahn!
Yeah .. if you can effort the gas .. 😆
Old 08-31-2022, 10:29 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

One of my kids is a pilot, and another an airplane mechanic. I keep bugging them to find a way to get me on a runway at some airport-I don't care where. I've seen a million youtube videos of guys racing on the runways and I'd really love a chance at that. Only problem is it's illegal as hell. Crap. Ah well, maybe one day.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:33 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
While racing isn’t allowed on there, can two guys go fast at the same time?
Old 08-31-2022, 11:41 PM
kyosha
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Back in the 70's when I lived in Phoenix, I owned a 73 Porsche 911S I would be sitting at a light and all sorts of muscle cars would pull up to race., Cars would pull up and want to drag race, Phoenix is laid out on one block grids. the light goes red on every block. As you know MT aren't the quickest off the line. By third I usually had them and I would shut it down with the brakes and usually watch them skidding though a yellow lig

Where I live now is a couple of hours outside of Moab, and people around here have overpowered Jeeps with no doors and a tent on Top. Could not believe he revved his engine. The other crazy ones are Subaru's

Quick Reply: Reaction from BMW drivers and other brands