Sponsored by:

Tire pressure and Porsche app

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 09:46 AM
shoelessjmw
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tire pressure and Porsche app

My tire pressures are set per door label at 36 front and 45 rear on my 21 C2. My porsche app agrees with these pressures but show the front at +1 psi and rear at +6 psi. Why should they show this? I assume the app should know what the specs are as they know the VIN. Anyone else see this?
Old 08-22-2022, 09:57 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

You are likely seeing deviations from comfort pressures. This can be changed within the PCM.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:35 AM
shoelessjmw
Intermediate

Thanks, I'll go into the PCM
Old 08-22-2022, 11:32 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by shoelessjmw
My tire pressures are set per door label at 36 front and 45 rear on my 21 C2. My porsche app agrees with these pressures but show the front at +1 psi and rear at +6 psi. Why should they show this? I assume the app should know what the specs are as they know the VIN. Anyone else see this?

That’s the tire pressure I have been running since I got the car….although it only shows -1psi for the front (35psi) and -2psi for the rear (43psi)….so it’s dropped a few psi over the year, and probably will go a bit lower when the temps get <50F. This is the tire pressure displayed on the door pillar.

I assume the lower pressures (ie, 34/38psi) are the pressures for “comfort”?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-22-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:42 AM
shoelessjmw
Intermediate

I found it in the PCM and it was on comfort so it was easy to change. I want the most miles out of the tires not so much comfort what do you guys think?
Old 08-22-2022, 12:49 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

You're going to get all sorts of recommendations. Best bet is to do what you feel works for the ride quality you want. I've been settled on 38/42 in my GTS RWD coupe which seems to be a compromise between comfort and maximum. If you're not at maximum load, your tires may wear out quicker with maximum air pressure. In the end, tires on these cars don't last near the mileage of many other cars, particullarly the rears. In my experience since 1985, if you get 12,000 miles out of a set of rears, you are driving the car pretty easy and have good alignment. You can typically expect two sets of rears for one set of fronts.

Last edited by icanthelpit; 08-22-2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 12:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
You're going to get all sorts of recommendations. Best bet is to do what you feel works for the ride quality you want. I've been settled on 38/42 in my GTS RWD coupe which seems to be a compromise between comfort and maximum. If you're not at maximum load, your tires may wear out quicker with maximum air pressure. In the end, tires on these cars don't last near the mileage of many other cars, particullarly the rears. In my experience since 1985, if you get 12,000 miles out of a set of rears, you are driving the car pretty easy and have good alignment. You can typically expect two sets of rears for one set of fronts.

Thx. Good advice.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
With regards to the lifetime….I assume you are talking about replacing the tires when down to the “wear bar”? But if you avoid driving on wet pavement…can you still eek out more life, while not risking traction issues if you stick to dry pavement? Or is it also a blow out issue? To be clear - I’m NOT talking about taking down to the core….but there still is plenty of rubber left when at, or just below the wear bar.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 08-22-2022 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure and Porsche app