Sponsored by:

Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 11:26 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by iguana
The tax only applies to new cars, not used cars. There may be reasons to put a car into a LLC, but does not help wet this tax.
Well if the tax passes as an expense in the LLC instead of taking a bath from paying personal taxes to pay the luxury tax there may be a benefit there no?
Old 07-30-2022, 08:25 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Well if you live in BC, you get to deal with the provincial luxury tax PLUS the federal luxury tax, yay! Thank God I took delivery of my car earlier this year.
The following 2 users liked this post by westcoastj:
Buddhist_fist (08-02-2022), JAWS88 (08-03-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 01:41 AM
mkiv
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, I feel you man. i live in BC and China. we got provincial luxury tax and now the federal luxury tax in BC, wtf. and in china we have 200% customs import duty AND 20% luxury tax.
i live in both the tax blackhole country in the world. if this make you feel better.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:02 AM
iguana
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Well if the tax passes as an expense in the LLC instead of taking a bath from paying personal taxes to pay the luxury tax there may be a benefit there no?
Perhaps, although that's not the question that was asked.
Old 07-31-2022, 11:45 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by iguana
Perhaps, although that's not the question that was asked.
I think the problem is CRA limits the value of the vehicle that can be depreciated for business purposes when used for personal use. I think that would include all associated purchase costs including taxes. The $ value exceptions are with trucks or vehicles over a certain GVW. In that case you can depreciate the high value vehicle and you apportion personal use. For trucks over $100,000 and over the GVW threshold, I believe you’d be able to roll the tax into the capital cost of the vehicle and write it off each year. None of the rules Apple to a high value sports car though.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:48 PM
tnf552
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

It's so bad for us in BC because there are TWO luxury taxes, the BC and also now the new federal one. What is worse is one of the luxury taxes also taxes the other luxury tax you are paying tax for the other tax. So if you are paying say 50k for one luxury tax, the other luxury tax will also tax that extra 50k (ie. they look at that 50k as part of the car price).
The following users liked this post:
JAWS88 (08-03-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

‘The tax will not apply where the vendor of the subject item and the non-registered purchaser entered into a bona fide agreement in writing for the sale of the subject item prior to January 1, 2022. Registration will be required before the first importation or delivery of a luxury good is made’

If we ordered a car prior to Jan 1, 2022, are we exempt then?

I have a signed bill of sale and everything from June if 2021, but just no VIN.
Would that be a good argument?
I’m from Toronto, Ontario.
My current estimated time arrival is mid Sept of 2022, which is not ideal since luxury tax would have just started, and I’ll be one of the earliest victims.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-02-2022, 06:01 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Albechow
‘The tax will not apply where the vendor of the subject item and the non-registered purchaser entered into a bona fide agreement in writing for the sale of the subject item prior to January 1, 2022. Registration will be required before the first importation or delivery of a luxury good is made’

My current estimated time arrival is mid Sept of 2022, which is not ideal since luxury tax would have just started, and I’ll be one of the earliest victims.
Hard to say. Did you get an allocation before Jan. 1?
Old 08-02-2022, 06:11 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mkiv
well, I feel you man. i live in BC and China. we got provincial luxury tax and now the federal luxury tax in BC, wtf. and in china we have 200% customs import duty AND 20% luxury tax.
i live in both the tax blackhole country in the world. if this make you feel better.

Two very similar locales...
Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 PM
Chewy66
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The reality is it's still up in the air. I have a deposit made Nov 2021 and delivery early to mid Sept 2022. My SA literally answered me 10 mins ago saying that up to now their accounting division and GM have not received any formal information on how to process and/or treat the luxury tax. Nothing has come from the dealer's association. I'm in Montreal, Quebec.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:07 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by OliverK68
Hard to say. Did you get an allocation before Jan. 1?
I believe you would need to have a binding purchase and sale agreement prior to January with delivery after September for the exception. However, I don't think that's possible as the dealer doesn't actually have a car to sell you (they don't own it to sell as it hasn't even been built) until the they take ownership from Porsche. They are simply taking your order for a future sale... a sale that concludes AFTER January 1st when the car is built and delivered to the dealer. I know some see there still being uncertainty still, the way I read it, the exception won't apply to those who simply placed an order with their name on it and I believe that is how the dealers will also interpret it as they bare all of the risk if they don't charge the tax and should have.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:32 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts

Anyone have any updates regarding the luxury tax in Ontario, Canada?
I do have a signed ‘bill of sale’ order back from June of 2021.
It does have my full name, car I ordered etc, but no vin.
some say I can avoid the luxury tax, some say I can’t, but there’s no firm answer.
My car is coming for delivery first week of October, so I’m super eager to find out.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-24-2022, 05:10 PM
eibarra21
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default me too

Anyone have any updates regarding the luxury tax in Ontario, Canada?
I do have a signed ‘bill of sale’ order back from June of 2021.
It does have my full name, car I ordered etc, but no vin.
some say I can avoid the luxury tax, some say I can’t, but there’s no firm answer.
My car is coming for delivery first week of October, so I’m super eager to find out.
Thanks in advance!
did you find out?

I got a commitment letter and deposit from 2021 for an c2, changed to Carrera T.. but i hope i can save
Old 11-24-2022, 05:13 PM
GuardsRed992
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

I wonder if the luxury tax had any impact on demand for 911s. I can see them impacting the luxury SUVs, but I don't think they would prevent sales of the 911.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:59 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsRed992
I wonder if the luxury tax had any impact on demand for 911s. I can see them impacting the luxury SUVs, but I don't think they would prevent sales of the 911.
Agreed, at least until the backlog in allocations is cleared. If anything, it will shorten the allocation wait time for those willing to pay the LT as those who aren’t willing drop their orders.

Quick Reply: Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax