Sponsored by:

Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 01:15 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
The next government is in a somewhat fortunate position in that Trudeau and his cabal of corrupt morons has created such a high tax burden, that we'll all be relieved with fairly modest adjustments. For example, the 66% capital gains inclusion rate, if it goes through, almost certainly won't get put back to 50% when the Conservatives get into power, just as the luxury tax probably won't be touched, certainly not eliminated.

The very worst part of Canada's tax problem is that virtually everything goes to feeding an ever-growing bureaucracy at all levels of government - municipal, provincial, federal - and almost nothing to actual delivery of improved services and infrastructure. This government has also weaponized every global issue as a distraction from their inability to solve anything at the local or national level. Emboldened by the feds, municipalities are spending time declaring a climate crisis and doubling down on identity politics instead of fixing pot holes, for example. It's not that these global issues aren't real, it's instead that politicians want people to be focused on tribal ideas instead of concrete actions that are visible at the local level.

I'd actually be OK with paying a luxury tax on a discretionary purchase of an expensive car if I believed it would improve education and health care, but obviously it's done nothing to help those issues. It serves two purposes: funding a larger federal work force, which does less actual work than has ever been the case; and reinforcing a class war "rich people = bad" narrative that is politically convenient for the government.

Rant over.
Completely agree! Solid points.

Our annual home tax in Ajax, ON (suburb of Toronto basically) went up $960 this year bringing us to $10k annually for no real gain in services. Its pathetic.

As for cars, its definitely hurting the luxury car market in Canada. Z06 are now being offered by dealers for cancelled orders and US dealers are buying up GT3s here in Canada (I know of 3 cars that left Canada last week).

Here's a fun little tid bit of Canadian stats...I'm not surprised at all more folks have left the country in the past year than over the last 10 years!!!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...high-1.7218479

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 06-10-2024 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
guards85 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 01:18 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 262 Posts

Record number of people leaving Canada. Mostly to US.

Also, Alberta broke the record for interprovincial migration in 2023.

I believe this trend will continue for the next few years.
guards85 (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 04:25 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Haven’t seen any numbers on boats. But it was the biggest factor in my decision to not buy my first NEW 911. Our taxes are getting out of control.
The new luxury tax boosted the value of used cars. You are not running away by buying used…
Old 06-10-2024, 10:59 PM
guards85
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's not forget proposed capital gains tax increases, soon they'll be taxing gains on principal residence too. It's no wonder so many folks are bailing.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:16 AM
shuz
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guards85
Let's not forget proposed capital gains tax increases, soon they'll be taxing gains on principal residence too. It's no wonder so many folks are bailing.
That tax knocked my build from a c4s to a c4.
Old 06-11-2024, 01:58 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

so why not buy from the US side and drive it over the border? pay your registration or whatever canadian car requirements you need to do to get the car licensed and voila. or buy cheap property over the border, register and then drive back to canada.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:11 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 532 Posts

Luxury tax applies to any car that has not been title/registered before regardless of where it was first delivered - so a new US car would still face luxury tax when imported to Canada. Any used car avoids luxury tax whether purchased in the US or Canada.
shuz (06-11-2024)
Old 06-11-2024, 03:03 PM
jstap808
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Luxury tax applies to any car that has not been title/registered before regardless of where it was first delivered - so a new US car would still face luxury tax when imported to Canada. Any used car avoids luxury tax whether purchased in the US or Canada.
got it, so wire me money to buy it here in the US, let me drive it 1 ft, I'll sell it to you at the purchase price as "used car" and bam! just buy me a beer for any "inconveniences" haha
Old 06-11-2024, 03:07 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jstap808
got it, so wire me money to buy it here in the US, let me drive it 1 ft, I'll sell it to you at the purchase price as "used car" and bam! just buy me a beer for any "inconveniences" haha
Luxury tax would still apply even if used. Further, when you factor the Canadian MSRP and FX, the cars are still cheaper in Canada despite the luxury tax. Below an example for the turbo-S (Luxury Tax is imbedded in the MSRP on the Canadian configurator), so in this example the turbo-S is still 15k USD cheaper in Canada.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-11-2024 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:08 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jstap808
That doesn't work either, since CAD pricing is relatively cheaper, and you'd also have to pay 6.1% duty bringing it across the border.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:09 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Luxury tax would still apply even if used. Further, when you factor the Canadian MSRP and FX, the cars are still cheeper in Canada despite all the taxes.
Luxury tax doesn't apply to used cars. Bringing a used car into Ontario requires payment of the RIV fee and duty, and then sales tax when you register the car at Service Ontario. You wouldn't be charged luxury tax.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:34 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bluelines1974
Luxury tax doesn't apply to used cars. Bringing a used car into Ontario requires payment of the RIV fee and duty, and then sales tax when you register the car at Service Ontario. You wouldn't be charged luxury tax.
My understanding is that the luxury tax does not apply to a used car already in Canada; the tax is applicable at moment of import.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:49 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
My understanding is that the luxury tax does not apply to a used car already in Canada; the tax is applicable at moment of import.
Apologies, you are correct. The scam just gets better and better. Most likely in the import scenario they stack it up as follows:

Duty on purchase price
HST on purchase price + duty
Luxury tax on purchase price + HST + duty

As I said earlier, it wouldn't be so bad if they weren't literally incinerating the tax revenues the second they received them.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:39 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 97 Posts

The snowbirds that come here from Canada tell bad tales of taxation, government run everything, etc in Canada. God awful weather. I sure as hell would not live there. YUK.
Old 06-11-2024, 04:46 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Canada actually is well placed to be one of the best countries in the world. We have ample space, all the natural resources the world needs, and people who are generally accepting and hard working. All we need is a different government, since our current Federal government seems intent on burning everything to the ground so we can all have an equal share of misery.

Originally Posted by Hunky
The snowbirds that come here from Canada tell bad tales of taxation, government run everything, etc in Canada. God awful weather. I sure as hell would not live there. YUK.
guards85 (06-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax