992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:09 PM
ChickenParm 911

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Wishing OP the best of luck with delivery timing.

Unfortunately, I think it’s only a matter of time before the US sees the implementation of a luxury good VAT scheme à la Europe. Will make these cars that much more expensive.

The following users liked this post:
GuardsRed992 (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

We've had a 33% luxury car tax in Australia for years. Payable on the final price above $71k or so, including GST. Why a base 992 is over $200k US there. But people still buy them, the Government knows they will even though the original excuse for the tax, to protect a local car industry, has long since gone.
GuardsRed992 (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:01 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,329 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Do you mean the fact I wrote or the tax action itself being political? Thanks.
Government cradle to grave care costs $ is the fact I agree with.

Implementing this luxury tax on new vehicle is a political move because it will have very little incidence.
icanthelpit (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 PM
cougar
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Just to clarify, the luxury tax is of 20% of the value above 100k up to 200k, and then of 10% on the total value over 200k. Think of it as a progressive tax rate that kicks in at 100k and progressively increases to 10% up to 200k.

The tax applies at the moment the title transfer occurs, which is usually when the car is registered/plated in the province. What is even worse is that PST and GST are applied over the luxury tax, so here in Quebec where we have ~15% GST+PST, it is really a 11.5% tax (for a car above 200k).

I an really pissed about this tax. It is reputed that it will bring in 120M CAD per year, that’s ~$3 per citizen. What difference will it really make.
If it makes you feel better some states in the US have a yearly excise tax. In MA, it is $25 for every $1000 of value. And the state decides what the value of your car is based on the model/year etc. So a $130K Porsche will net you a surprise bill of $3250 come the beginning of the year. The longer you keep, the less you pay so its one reason to hold on to the car a bit longer. And there is no escape for leases, it gets rolled in to the payments.
KLOC (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 04:45 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 538 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by GuardsRed992
I think Leases are exempt

Will the Luxury Tax apply to leases?

A lease of a subject item is not considered to be a sale under the Luxury Tax regime. Lessors that carry on a business of leasing, but not selling, are not required to register and the Luxury Tax would, instead, apply when the lessor purchases a subject item. The cash flow effect of this tax should be considered when determining upfront charges and periodic lease payments charged by the lessor to the lessee. Registered vendors that lease subject items would be required to self-assess the tax when moving the subject item from inventory to lease. This reporting requirement will need to be closely tracked by registered dealerships that also lease subject items.
Originally Posted by bobblehead
GuardsRed992, the McMillan source suggests leasing is not exempt and that was also my understanding. You pay the LT over the term of the lease.
The following 2 users liked this post by gthal:
GuardsRed992 (07-28-2022), KLOC (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 05:02 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by cougar
If it makes you feel better some states in the US have a yearly excise tax. In MA, it is $25 for every $1000 of value. And the state decides what the value of your car is based on the model/year etc. So a $130K Porsche will net you a surprise bill of $3250 come the beginning of the year. The longer you keep, the less you pay so its one reason to hold on to the car a bit longer. And there is no escape for leases, it gets rolled in to the payments.
TN = 0 income tax and I believe my cars are about $85 per year. Even sales tax on the car is not the full sales tax rate - only service contracts or extended warranty are at full rate

much better than CA which is on the Canadian model of $ confiscation
verstraete (07-29-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 07:41 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
GuardsRed992, the McMillan source suggests leasing is not exempt and that was also my understanding. You pay the LT over the term of the lease.
What I get out of the same source is that the tax is levied on the dealer when the car moves out of inventory. This leaves it up to the dealer as to how they will recoup it (and you know they will), making the question of financing largely moot.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:46 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Let's face it, we're getting slowly taxed to death in Canada. Most won't mind paying the luxury tax as it'll probably encourage them to become much more creative at avoiding or lowering taxes elsewhere resulting in a zero-sum game. Laffer's curve or whatever...
Old 07-28-2022, 10:11 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cougar
Thanks, but it does not make me feel much better as we already have such a tax imbedded in out yearly licence fees. It is 1% of the black book value over 40k CAD. So I already pay ~2k CAD a year more just to get my car plated here in Quebec (the base license fees are about $200).

What pisses me off most is how they are targeting car enthusiasts over all others. Comparing with my friend who likes boating and uses his disposable income for this hobby, he buys a 200k boat plus a big 100k pick-up truck with a 10k trailer to haul it around and yet pays no additional tax.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 07-29-2022 at 07:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
gthal (07-29-2022), TheBeav (07-29-2022)
Old 07-29-2022, 12:56 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,193 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Let's face it, we're getting slowly taxed to death in Canada. Most won't mind paying the luxury tax as it'll probably encourage them to become much more creative at avoiding or lowering taxes elsewhere resulting in a zero-sum game. Laffer's curve or whatever...
The WEF has openly stated that they want to get rid of private vehicle ownership. First it’s a tax on the rich, because the poor hate the rich. Then once laws are established, you move down the line, and eventually make car ownership cost prohibitive for lower incomes.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:19 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

I think Leases are exempt

Will the Luxury Tax apply to leases?

A lease of a subject item is not considered to be a sale under the Luxury Tax regime. Lessors that carry on a business of leasing, but not selling, are not required to register and the Luxury Tax would, instead, apply when the lessor purchases a subject item. The cash flow effect of this tax should be considered when determining upfront charges and periodic lease payments charged by the lessor to the lessee. Registered vendors that lease subject items would be required to self-assess the tax when moving the subject item from inventory to lease. This reporting requirement will need to be closely tracked by registered dealerships that also lease subject items.
I’m betting the full LT will be bourne by the Lessee at lease inception, just like the freight and PDI. How would it work for the dealer otherwise? The dealer pays $10,000 LT on a $150,000 car, leases it for 36 months with a residual of $80,000, get the car back and then how does he get the balance of the LT he initially paid? Plus, he has had to carry the unpaid tax value for 3 years. I just don’t see it. I think this will be another argument against leasing and flipping new cars every few years.

Last edited by kayjh; 07-29-2022 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:25 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 714 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Thanks, but it does not make me feel much better as we already have such a tax imbedded in out yearly licence fees. It is 1% of the black book value over 40k CAD. So I already pay ~2k CAD a year more just to get my car plated here in Quebec (the base license fees are about $200).

What pisses me off most is how they are targeting car enthusiasts over all others. Comparing with my friend who likes boating and uses his disposable income for this hobby, he buys a 200k boat plus a big 100k pick-up truck with a 10k trailer to haul it around and yet pays no additional tax.
I don’t think they are targeting car “enthusiasts”. A 70 year old guy driving an S Class will pay the same tax. As to boats, it’s not to hard today to pay over $250,000 for a quality 24’ bow rider. My Cobalt lists north of that and with supply constraints, no discounts. Quite a few loaded pick up trucks above $100,000 these days too. Rivian with a large battery and some equipment over $114,000CAD.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 581 Likes on 314 Posts

Hopefully it doesn't take more that a couple weeks to truck the car from Halifax to Toronto. lol
My understanding is that transportation is generally by rail. My 718 went by rail to Montreal and then truck to Ottawa. The transfer from rail to truck took several days, which is apparently typical (SA blamed it on the unionized rail workers). Total transit from Halifax to Ottawa was 14 days.

Best of luck.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:53 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Op, if dealer has the vin and the sales price and fees already, why not just prepay the whole transaction now (or by late august) ? Unless you are doing leasing in which there could be an issue??

Old 07-29-2022, 10:08 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kayjh
I don’t think they are targeting car “enthusiasts”. A 70 year old guy driving an S Class will pay the same tax. As to boats, it’s not to hard today to pay over $250,000 for a quality 24’ bow rider. My Cobalt lists north of that and with supply constraints, no discounts. Quite a few loaded pick up trucks above $100,000 these days too. Rivian with a large battery and some equipment over $114,000CAD.
Car enthusiast meaning people who appreciate nice cars…

The boat+pick-up equation added up to the value of a TT-S for comparison. One pays added taxes, the other does not.

Quick Reply: Canadian Buyers: Luxury Tax