Sponsored by:

C2S vs. GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 01:56 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts
Default C2S vs. GTS

Braintrust- I've read many prior threads and watched reviews on Sport package (PASM lowered 10mm) C2S vs. GTS.
Curious what your personal experiences have been, especially if you've driven the 992 models.

Is the C2S w/ sport package a softer ride compared to the GTS? Is the GTS a little too rough for daily drive? First car so main concern is ability to tolerate a stiff drive. Unfortunately haven't been able to test either personally, which I know is the best way but just hard to find a wheel to get behind. I've driven the 992 C2 and it feels good, but I do wish it had slightly more power. The stiffness felt tolerable, but definitely more than my SUV. Hence I was thinking Sport package C2S may be the best step up, but have always wondered about the GTS.

No plans to track the car but would prefer to have some fun on curvy roads during the weekends. Will use the car as a daily driver in a major city w/ some hills, mainly on surface roads, and occasionally freeways.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,538 Likes on 5,062 Posts

What car are you currently driving now?

We need a point of reference to know what you mean by "a little too rough".

You mentioned SUV, and no 911 -- even a very dampened Targa -- will ride as plush as an SUV. Even something like the X6M

I daily'd a GT3 and GT3 RS. So my definition of "a little too rough" will probably be very different than yours.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 07-26-2022 at 02:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (07-26-2022), robert310 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 02:23 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry currently drive a GLE SUV. Have never owned a Porsche before
Old 07-26-2022, 02:54 AM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
Sorry currently drive a GLE SUV. Have never owned a Porsche before
Then any of the 911 suspensions (even the regular PASM) will be significantly stiffer. For reference, my 2022 C2S with regular PASM in "comfort" mode is stiffer than my 2019 Audi RS3 on "sport" mode. In the city I never drive in "sport" suspension mode on my 992. Even in comfort mode, it can be jarring on some under-maintained side streets.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:07 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,841 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I have a ‘21 GLE with steel springs and 21” wheels, and a ‘20 C2S with SPASM. To be frank I prefer the 992; the GLE doesn’t have very good suspension overall. It crashes over sharp bumps, lacks good rebound control, and to get a soft ride the spring rates are too low for the vehicle mass. By comparison the 992 is well tied down, yes its way stiffer with less suspension travel but overall is more composed. I prefer it.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:14 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

SPASM a bit stiffer than a standard C2S, so maybe not best option. Based on your use case, seems like a C2S is your best over-all choice.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:51 AM
Gr33n
Instructor

Received 330 Likes on 62 Posts

The city you're in is a factor. A non SPASM vehicle may be more comfortable to daily in a city with lots of potholes, speed bumps, steep parking garage ramps, and the other typical BS found in many North American cities. I can't speak for European roads, but we have immaculate roads here in Japan and a lot of folks in Tokyo seem to have no issue daily driving all kinds of low-slung exotics and tuner cars.
The following users liked this post:
d-- (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 04:23 AM
mrmichaelsankey
Racer

Received 242 Likes on 147 Posts

No experience of a GTS, but have driven a spasm C4S and normal C4S back to back, I went normal pasm with pdcc in the end as it rides perfect in normal but flick that switch and it stiffens up nicely for a blast down decently surfaces roads.

Found spasm just a bit to stiff in normal mode, any bad road surface just went straight through the car a bit too much, plus it scraped its front lip on every speed bump where I live…. But don’t tell the dealer about that, they don’t need to know ;-)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:47 AM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 397 Likes on 195 Posts

I suspect the average first time 911 owner is unlikely to be able to tell the difference in ride between a C2S and GTS. Or in power.

To me, it more comes down to what fits within your budget.
KSG1965 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 08:12 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
I suspect the average first time 911 owner is unlikely to be able to tell the difference in ride between a C2S and GTS. Or in power.

To me, it more comes down to what fits within your budget.
Agree, the C2S with S-PASM should ride very similar to the GTS and the increased HP probably is not noticeable unless you do back to back spirited rides.

and do remember, you can get your GTS without the sports suspension. Just don’t tell anyone here, they will roast you
d-- (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:03 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

I haven’t yet driven the S and my GTS back to back, but the GTS suspension is stiff. I’ve always had at least one sports car since the 70s, and I’ve never owned a “normal” car so I’m no stranger to stiff suspensions, but the suspension in the GTS is stiff. It’s a harsher ride than even my Spyder, which is quite unexpected. I’m running comfort pressures In the GTS, but it’s still stiff. In all my other cars, I always run pressures a bit above what is recommended. In my Spyder, the suspension produces a quick hit onto a pavement expansion joint and it’s over. The car immediately settles. It never feels harsh in the Spyder; it’s firm, composed, and without drama. In the GTS, there is more travel both in the compression stroke and rebound. And you can really feel the weight of the car. The GTS, feels like it falls into a hole when it hits a joint, and then rebounds out of the hole. The whole duration of the suspension movement seems to take twice as long as it does in my Spyder. I find that I tighten up my body and anticipate the hit of an approaching roadway joints when I’m driving the GTS. In the Spyder, over the same joint at the same speed, I just drive.

I wasn’t expecting the GTS to be this harsh. My neighbor has a 4S, but he’s away. When he returns, we’ll drive them back to back. But the GTS certainly provides a more punishing ride than my Spyder does. And I’ve played with the suspension button in the GTS. I can’t feel any difference between normal and sport suspension.

Anyone who thinks they can feel a difference with the suspension button activated, please drive with a friend and have him/her activate the button without you being able to see if it’s on or off. Then tell me if you can really feel a difference.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 07-26-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:46 AM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

There is no much difference between a S and a GTS. I'm owner of a 2020 C2S with SPASM, and i testdrove a GTS not long ago. I didn't feel any difference in comfort from the suspension. If i should buy today, i would go for the GTS, because it's more special, and i love more the look. In driving, the only difference for me was the sound, that comes more in the interior with the GTS.
If you want comfort, go for a C2S with standard suspension and standard wheels. If you consider to take the SPASM and the larger wheels, than go for the GTS! For me the GTS is the 992 to have, if you don't want to go for a GT3.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by BMWMB; 07-26-2022 at 09:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BMWMB:
aggie57 (07-26-2022), dhirm5 (07-26-2022), Tedster (07-28-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 11:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I haven’t yet driven the S and my GTS back to back, but the GTS suspension is stiff. I’ve always had at least one sports car since the 70s, and I’ve never owned a “normal” car so I’m no stranger to stiff suspensions, but the suspension in the GTS is stiff. It’s a harsher ride than even my Spyder, which is quite unexpected. I’m running comfort pressures In the GTS, but it’s still stiff. In all my other cars, I always run pressures a bit above what is recommended. In my Spyder, the suspension produces a quick hit onto a pavement expansion joint and it’s over. The car immediately settles. It never feels harsh in the Spyder; it’s firm, composed, and without drama. In the GTS, there is more travel both in the compression stroke and rebound. And you can really feel the weight of the car. The GTS, feels like it falls into a hole when it hits a joint, and then rebounds out of the hole. The whole duration of the suspension movement seems to take twice as long as it does in my Spyder. I find that I tighten up my body and anticipate the hit of an approaching roadway joints when I’m driving the GTS. In the Spyder, over the same joint at the same speed, I just drive.

I wasn’t expecting the GTS to be this harsh. My neighbor has a 4S, but he’s away. When he returns, we’ll drive them back to back. But the GTS certainly provides a more punishing ride than my Spyder does. And I’ve played with the suspension button in the GTS. I can’t feel any difference between normal and sport suspension.

Anyone who thinks they can feel a difference with the suspension button activated, please drive with a friend and have him/her activate the button without you being able to see if it’s on or off. Then tell me if you can really feel a difference.

This is why everyone will have a different opinion. I will say your are correct that one can not really tell the difference in the GTS between sport and normal but I think the suspension is fantastic and I am coming from a 2018 GT3 and a 2016 GT4 prior to the GT3. I think it is really dialed in and chews and spits out bumps. I do not find it harsh nor punishing but can agree that for some they may find it a little stiff. I have made this comment before that 2022 GTS feels exactly like my previous GT3 in regards to steering and suspension which is a good thing - for me.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:40 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Count me as another to chime in and say... my C2S with SPASM can be a very stiff/harsh ride even on comfort in the city where roads are average. It seems to be worse when a passenger is in the car vs just me. I switched from pirelli's to PS4S tires, which does help a bit. Still stiff though. Coming from a f80 M4 which was smoother. Don't go for SPASM on a C2S unless you "want" it.

Last edited by reddsektor; 07-26-2022 at 11:43 AM.
AlterZgo (07-27-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 11:57 AM
pacent
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
Count me as another to chime in and say... my C2S with SPASM can be a very stiff/harsh ride even on comfort in the city where roads are average. It seems to be worse when a passenger is in the car vs just me. I switched from pirelli's to PS4S tires, which does help a bit. Still stiff though. Coming from a f80 M4 which was smoother. Don't go for SPASM on a C2S unless you "want" it.
I have a C2S car on order with a lock date coming up. I ended up ordering SPASM because according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1221...-vs-spasm.html SPASM suspension is actually more complaint than PASM when set on comfort. I know its an old thread started when the 992 first came out. Is there more updated info?

Quick Reply: C2S vs. GTS