Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C2S vs. GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 12:11 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

This discussion seems moot when we don’t know tire pressures. A lot of cars leave the dealership at 45-50psi.
The following 6 users liked this post by shrimp money:
aggie57 (07-26-2022), dhirm5 (07-26-2022), kim9701 (07-26-2022), Smirnoff67 (07-26-2022), Tedster (07-28-2022), Tobeit (07-26-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-26-2022, 12:16 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
I have a ‘21 GLE with steel springs and 21” wheels, and a ‘20 C2S with SPASM. To be frank I prefer the 992; the GLE doesn’t have very good suspension overall. It crashes over sharp bumps, lacks good rebound control, and to get a soft ride the spring rates are too low for the vehicle mass. By comparison the 992 is well tied down, yes its way stiffer with less suspension travel but overall is more composed. I prefer it.
I have a '20 GLE with air suspension and 20" wheels, and even in comfort mode, I agree with the above--it's not a great suspension for me. It's too "floaty" over bumps for my liking, but it is a smooth ride, and my wife likes it (which is all matters as it's her car). Setting it to sport does help, but it's a big, heavy SUV, so you can't avoid the physics.

I haven't driven a C2S, but comparing my 992 GTS to my prior 981 GTS, the 992 does have a much better ride, although it is still firm. The longer wheelbase helps, but I think the 992 just feels like it's better dampened. On horrible pavement, it can be quite bumpy, but it's very smooth on most roads. Just don't expect it to be like the GLE, as it's much closer to the other end of the spectrum.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:20 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

I live in Denver and we don't have great roads. I have a C2S with SPASM and it is just fine on these roads. However, I mainly drive it with the SPASM suspension set to Normal mode, and I ride Comfort mode on my tires, so 32 front / 35 rear pressures. If I am on a stretch of road where I know the road is not all banged up, like a mountain twisty or a newer section of interstate, and I plan to drive more aggressively, I sometimes turn on the SPASM to Sport. But I always drive in Sport mode, which changes the throttle response and turns on the PSE. Only Sport Plus turns on the suspension automatically to Sport. And I daily drive the car to work, 18 miles each way, though about 2-3 days a week.

I was told the SPASM in Normal mode is not much stiffer than a non-SPASM car, but there are other advantages to the SPASM that make the option worth it, even if you don't plan to always turn it on. And with the package you save on another option, PSE I think.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:56 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by pacent
I have a C2S car on order with a lock date coming up. I ended up ordering SPASM because according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1221...-vs-spasm.html SPASM suspension is actually more complaint than PASM when set on comfort. I know its an old thread started when the 992 first came out. Is there more updated info?
That is not correct. Plenty here have complained about the SPASM ride - I don't think it could be more "compliant" in that regards.

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I haven’t yet driven the S and my GTS back to back, but the GTS suspension is stiff. I’ve always had at least one sports car since the 70s, and I’ve never owned a “normal” car so I’m no stranger to stiff suspensions, but the suspension in the GTS is stiff. It’s a harsher ride than even my Spyder, which is quite unexpected. I’m running comfort pressures In the GTS, but it’s still stiff. In all my other cars, I always run pressures a bit above what is recommended. In my Spyder, the suspension produces a quick hit onto a pavement expansion joint and it’s over. The car immediately settles. It never feels harsh in the Spyder; it’s firm, composed, and without drama. In the GTS, there is more travel both in the compression stroke and rebound. And you can really feel the weight of the car. The GTS, feels like it falls into a hole when it hits a joint, and then rebounds out of the hole. The whole duration of the suspension movement seems to take twice as long as it does in my Spyder. I find that I tighten up my body and anticipate the hit of an approaching roadway joints when I’m driving the GTS. In the Spyder, over the same joint at the same speed, I just drive.

I wasn’t expecting the GTS to be this harsh. My neighbor has a 4S, but he’s away. When he returns, we’ll drive them back to back. But the GTS certainly provides a more punishing ride than my Spyder does. And I’ve played with the suspension button in the GTS. I can’t feel any difference between normal and sport suspension.

Anyone who thinks they can feel a difference with the suspension button activated, please drive with a friend and have him/her activate the button without you being able to see if it’s on or off. Then tell me if you can really feel a difference.
As C&D wrote... "Ride quality will depend on location. In Michigan, with the dampers in their softest setting, the stiffer springs were judged brutal."
Old 07-26-2022, 01:14 PM
michaelp
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't have an S or GTS, but a base Carrera with the normal PASM suspension and 20/21" wheels. In the standard suspension setting (not sport), with tires at a reasonable 33 front / 38 rear, the car has a VERY firm ride. Much firmer than my F80 M3. I think regardless of which suspension your 992 has, it will be a very firm ride. The smaller standard base Carrera wheels might have the most comfortable ride.

Last edited by michaelp; 07-26-2022 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:38 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by pacent
I have a C2S car on order with a lock date coming up. I ended up ordering SPASM because according to this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1221...-vs-spasm.html SPASM suspension is actually more complaint than PASM when set on comfort. I know its an old thread started when the 992 first came out. Is there more updated info?
my tire pressures are on comfort 32/35, and yes its still right at the cusp of my threshold for ride quality, maybe even past it. But I can certainly live with it and I guess that's the price of having a Porsche. The wife absolutely hates it though, and we do ride in it together quite a bit. I've been in gtr's, mclaren's, R8's... all have a more comfortable ride. But the more important thing for me was getting the Sports package which includes PSE, chrono, front lip, and whatever else it includes which I find all necessary on a 911. But yea that meant I was stuck with SPASM as well since its part of that package.

Last edited by reddsektor; 07-26-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:24 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rouxeny
I suspect the average first time 911 owner is unlikely to be able to tell the difference in ride between a C2S and GTS. Or in power.

To me, it more comes down to what fits within your budget.
+1.

The GTS is harsh on bad roads, but lovely on nice roads. We took a 2000-mile road trip to break in the car and I remarked along most of the trip that the ride quality was excellent -- very comfortable and composed. Once we got back to Atlanta the car's true colors showed on our steel plate- and pothole-laden roads. It is very stiff, and although it is supremely damped there's only so much a sporty suspension can do to make terrible roads reasonable without sacrificing capability. It jumps much more significantly over the upward slope at the start of a bridge, for example, than I've experienced in any other vehicle. I could probably mitigate this by actively managing weight transfer a little more via accel/decel, but I shouldn't have to.

Overall though, I don't think the C2S is much different in this regard and I wouldn't make a decision between the two based on comfort, but with my wallet and depending on the options I'm interested in (the GTS makes sense if you're getting PSE/SPASM/Sport design etc).

And I’ve played with the suspension button in the GTS. I can’t feel any difference between normal and sport suspension.
Also +1 here. I _sometimes_ feel that I can tell the difference, but it's subtle at best. Over rough pavement, I don't notice a difference at all; only over smooth pavement, where the suspension in sport mode seems to communicate slightly more of the slight ripples and imperfections in the road surface.

(comfort pressure settings for me as well, around 31/34)

Last edited by zachr; 07-26-2022 at 02:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Denny Swift (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 03:08 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Honestly, some of these threads are amusing. Here about a Porsche maybe too stiff, comparing it to GLE’s and M’s..in other threads complaints the car is too behaved and not raw enough. Quite entertaining. For what it’s worth, my Base feels sporty and tight in any mode with PASM but not overly or unexpected stiff for what this car is about …and it will be stiffer soon once lowered. It sure can be used as a daily. So can’t be that stiff but hey, it’s a Porsche for a reason. JMHO
Old 07-26-2022, 03:18 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelp
I don't have an S or GTS, but a base Carrera with the normal PASM suspension and 20/21" wheels. In the standard suspension setting (not sport), with tires at a reasonable 33 front / 38 rear, the car has a VERY firm ride. Much firmer than my F80 M3. I think regardless of which suspension your 992 has, it will be a very firm ride. The smaller standard base Carrera wheels might have the most comfortable ride.
Interesting. My C4S with standard (PASM) suspension rides MUCH better than my M3 did with 19" wheels and comp package.- and I have the 20/21 setup.

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Honestly, some of these threads are amusing. Here about a Porsche maybe too stiff, comparing it to GLE’s and M’s..in other threads complaints the car is too behaved and not raw enough. Quite entertaining. For what it’s worth, my Base feels sporty and tight in any mode with PASM but not overly or unexpected stiff for what this car is about …and it will be stiffer soon once lowered. It sure can be used as a daily. So can’t be that stiff but hey, it’s a Porsche for a reason. JMHO
I had a 2017 M2. The ride was TERRIBLE - you can say "dude, it is a sports car, man up" - but the fact is, it is possible to make these cars ride good and also handle good. I think Porsche did a great job on the 911 (see my note above on the M3).
Old 07-26-2022, 03:23 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

The answer to this question requires you to ask of yourself what kind of driver you are. Do you watch the road actively to react to upcoming road imperfections by either braking, or swerving? Or do you just drive along at your preferred speed looking ahead? When in any major city, you *must* be the former type that actively hawks imperfections to avoid them, otherwise you'll be amongst those that use terms like 'bone jarring' no matter which 911 you drive.

I have driven my 17 911 GTS, as well as a couple different M5s with lowered suspensions, in NYC without any complaints. But I watch the hell out of the road. If I'm on a freeway/major highway, I can let down that guard a bit and enjoy the sweeping curves, but part of you needs to be worried about that pothole over the next blind rise, or around the next corner.

You know what kind of driver you are. One of my buddies goes through 3 or 4 wheels/tires a year living in the NYC metro with his sportier cars (lower profile tires/etc). Needless to say, he's not a road watcher, and buys his cars appropriate for his driving style.
Tedster (07-28-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 03:24 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doug_999
Interesting. My C4S with standard (PASM) suspension rides MUCH better than my M3 did with 19" wheels and comp package.- and I have the 20/21 setup.

I had a 2017 M2. The ride was TERRIBLE - you can say "dude, it is a sports car, man up" - but the fact is, it is possible to make these cars ride good and also handle good. I think Porsche did a great job on the 911 (see my note above on the M3).
yep on the Porsche part. Can’t comment on the M2 particular, the M cars I had all where okay but more like sport tuned coupe vs sports car from ground up. Same for my AMG. Just interesting that this thread is all over the place: comparing to SUV’s, comparing to platforms designed for the masses but special models (M, AMG), and then comparing the details between SPASM of GTS vs C4S of a purpose designed sports coupe. That’s like covering orders of magnitude change in one thread
doug_999 (07-27-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 05:39 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

No, I'm comparing my 992 GTS with comfort tire pressures (30/36) to my 718 Spyder with Cup2 tires and 31/35 PSI (two PSI over the recommended setting). The Spyder's suspension is more comfortable and compliant (to me) over bumps, bridge joints and crappy roads. I find that really surprising.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:32 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

No, I'm comparing my 992 GTS with comfort tire pressures (30/36) to my 718 Spyder with Cup2 tires and 31/35 PSI (two PSI over the recommended setting). The Spyder's suspension is more comfortable and compliant (to me) over bumps, bridge joints and crappy roads. I find that really surprising.
Yep, I get that and its nice chat but mostly anecdotal to the OP's question ... but at least you compare it to a GTS. OP probably never had a Spyder and would not know if harsher than a Spyder means anything to him. By the way, I absolutely don't mind when threads diverge and go all over the place....but find it entertaining when it goes far off topic.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:02 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Yep, I get that and its nice chat but mostly anecdotal to the OP's question ... but at least you compare it to a GTS. OP probably never had a Spyder and would not know if harsher than a Spyder means anything to him. By the way, I absolutely don't mind when threads diverge and go all over the place....but find it entertaining when it goes far off topic.
True! ( I'll actually compare it to a C4S in a couple of weeks.) But I'm old so I'm allowed to drift OT like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yujF8AumiQo
Old 07-27-2022, 12:07 AM
rickstd
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 32 Posts

Tires and tire pressure make a huge difference. Had a 991 and drove it from Florida to NC up I-95 and thought my fillings were going to rattle out. Eventually swapped the P-Zeros for Pilot Sport 4S with lower pressure and it was a totally different car.

Quick Reply: C2S vs. GTS