Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets be honest, the 992 is a tad boring

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 11:42 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,277 Posts

All personal taste. Nothing sweeter than sound from a high RPM naturally aspirated engine. Preferably on the track, or a back country road.

In the words of Porsche, “demonic sound”. Love it. If that’s your thing, then I would have opted for the GT3…anything else is a compromise.

A naturally aspirated 4.0-liter flat-six engine makes demonic sounds as it howls up to its 9000 rpm redline, producing 502 horsepower along the way in the GT3 and GT3 Touring.”

The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 11:42 AM
67SSWT
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Is it likely that most owners live in crowded Urban/Suburan locales. And maybe most can't access a mountain or twisty country road in 30 minutes. How many track days can you do?
So how do you utilize a 190 MPH , 3.5 second 0-60 car?
Maybe the "boring comment" is the diiference between driving a slow car fast vs. a fast car slow?
jlegelis (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 11:54 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by 67SSWT
Is it likely that most owners live in crowded Urban/Suburan locales. And maybe most can't access a mountain or twisty country road in 30 minutes. How many track days can you do?
So how do you utilize a 190 MPH , 3.5 second 0-60 car?
Maybe the "boring comment" is the diiference between driving a slow car fast vs. a fast car slow?

I’m not arguing “it’s boring”. Quite the contrary. But there are those on this thread who have made that comment, and others who say it’s mainly because of the exhaust sound. To those that want the ultimate, sweetest sound…get a GT3…everything else is a compromise.

If your question was directed at me, I can do as much tracking as I want. Money and time is not a concern. But I don’t. I have other activities that consume my day. A few (3-4) events during the season is enough to satisfy me. But when I’m not tracking, I do enjoy a good country road. But, if I could rarely access any of those driving pleasures, it would have made no sense to me, to buy a 911….so it could sit in the garage?, or maybe take it out in crowded city streets/highways. What would be the point? To be seen?

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-15-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 12:40 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Originally Posted by kmh0277
Boring people drive boringly. I had a 99 Camry that I drove more spiritedly than 99% of you. 992 will never be boring: close thread. RIP OP.
It doesn't make sense to drive the car at over 5k RPM the whole time. The only time it sounds good is over 4k RPM under load. Otherwise, a Camry has a louder exhaust.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:28 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 48 Posts

As a long time Porsche owner, and a current stable that includes a 718 GTS, 992 GTS and 718 Spyder ... I cannot relate at all to this OP. My 2021 base 992 gives me absolute joy on and off the track. I am continually amazed with the performance and the emotions wherever I drive it.

I am also of the school that the exhaust does not have to be continually loud (like every Subaru and crappy Dodge Neon) when rolling down main street to be "spirited". The 992 needs you to reach up into that 6 and 7/10s driving on track and B roads ... and that is where she sings, and where you will be humbled at how much racing history and evolution you are fortunate enough to be wielding. All with the *** saving features of a modern car.

I highly recommend the base Carrera - it is an absolute bargain and you are getting 90% of the styling and performance of the upper badges. And more than likely (myself included, even though I track often), you will never use the full capabilities of the base 911.

Get the base, and if you have extra cash, option it out to your hearts content. Extended deviated stitching, noise insulated glass (which makes the engine noise louder in the cabin), sport chrono, pepita seats, rear spoiler, sunroof delete, colored matched mirror housings ... then tell me you are not driving one of the most amazing cars on the planet. Tell me you aren't the envy of pretty much everyone else on the road (outside the cars & coffee traffic)

The following 3 users liked this post by d6veteran:
Nein Eleven (12-26-2022), Smirnoff67 (12-15-2022), Wilder (03-10-2023)
Old 12-15-2022, 01:41 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
To posters that claim the car is mainly “boring” because of the exhaust note…I say, so change it up. Who’s stopping you?

That said, my neighbors kids (4 houses down, thank God) have modified the exhaust on their Camaro ZL1…and when they start the car up, wakes the whole neighborhood up. I can only chuckle, and think of my neighbors teenage kids, when I read about middle aged men (or older) wanting a louder exhaust on their Porsche. Smacks of mid-life crisis. But whatever…😎

I think this is the problem with many of the modern Porsche owners - and the complaints about exhaust. The standard "sports" car sound is now what every teenager and 20 something has put on his/her Subaru, VW, Honda, etc. So they get their new Porsche, and then aren't making all the noise as the young cars & coffee group. And without signing up for a driver's education day, or going to the track or seeking out some B roads ... they write off one of the most amazing sports cars as boring. It makes me sad frankly.

If exhaust note is what you want while rolling down main street or through your neighborhood, and you want a higher end car, then get an F-Type R, or a used Aston.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:42 PM
d6veteran
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z911
Tell me when can I pick up the keys. Yours and anyone who’s bored with this car.
+1

So many precious allocations getting burned by these buyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by d6veteran:
Bobby 911 (12-15-2022), GeneTakovic (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 02:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by d6veteran
I think this is the problem with many of the modern Porsche owners - and the complaints about exhaust. The standard "sports" car sound is now what every teenager and 20 something has put on his/her Subaru, VW, Honda, etc. So they get their new Porsche, and then aren't making all the noise as the young cars & coffee group. And without signing up for a driver's education day, or going to the track or seeking out some B roads ... they write off one of the most amazing sports cars as boring. It makes me sad frankly.

If exhaust note is what you want while rolling down main street or through your neighborhood, and you want a higher end car, then get an F-Type R, or a used Aston.

Funny you should mention this. I just had my hair cut from my favorite barber. Nice guy. In his late 20’s. Expecting his first child (gave him a nice Christmas tip), and he spend about 20 minutes talking to me about the new exhaust he was getting for his Subaru (whatever). For real. He was super excited. He knows I own a Porsche, so we usually talk cars…

Anyway, I said, hey man, you’re expecting your first child…save the money for family expenses….you’re Gonna need it with a new baby in the house. I think my advice fell on deaf ears.

Ah, to be young (and stupid) again.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-15-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:34 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

To give context though, is a 911 Carrera at any trim level, the most high-end car you've driven?
Old 12-15-2022, 03:45 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by d6veteran
+1

So many precious allocations getting burned by these buyers.
Yep. Buyers who don’t know what they like or don’t know what they are buying. Or both.
GeneTakovic (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 03:49 PM
Z911
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
I don’t think it’s boring, but come on, the exhaust is weak. I always drive mine with the windows down. It is just way too quiet. This is the main reason (I believe) people say it’s boring.
I have an AKRA slip on, I had to deactivate the cold start so I won’t wake the entire county up when I leave yes the stock exhaust sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner (showing my age since people now use Dyson). .
Old 12-15-2022, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Yep. Buyers who don’t know what they like or don’t know what they are buying. Or both.
what In the world are you taking about. You are making generalizations and jumping to conclusions. God knows why you need to disparage people and assume they are morons because they like a loud exhaust, but get over yourself. People like different things, and just because someone doesn’t like one element of a car doesn’t mean they should buy something else. The words coming out of your mouth are pure ignorance and stupidity
Old 12-15-2022, 04:23 PM
pk27
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
Or maybe buyers who have driven higher performance cars, or own multiple cars, and don't see the base 992 as being all that special. I bought mine as a daily driver exactly because it is larger, softer, and more luxurious than prior generations. Yes, it is a tad boring because of it but I have other cars to scratch that itch and would much rather DD a 992 than a Merc or BMW.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:56 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

So when I was in Atlanta on Tuesday there was a Carrera GT out by the Track and I was sooooooo hoping they were gonna fire it up and do a few laps because IMO nothing sounds better than a Carrera GT or a LFA. I think my GTS sounds fine on and off the Track; heck, I even closed the Sport Exhaust after a couple hours on the highway to take a break from it. I'm sure the Goodyears didn't help the noise situation, but I won't know that for sure until I put some Michelin PS4's on when it's time.Here in Florida there's plenty of youngsters with slammed cars, crooked wheels, and those infernal fart-can exhausts they put on those jaloppies; ridiculous pickup trucks that are jacked-up in the front and lowered in the back with no mufflers; and every so often a Ford Mustang with a cross plane V8 and hideously loud, obnoxious exhaust. And every time I hear one of those three the first thought that hits my head is-somebody hand me a RPG. I absolutely hate those shltboxes. To me, cars like ours, most of the exotics, Chevy and Dodge muscle-cars are fine and sound great just plain stock. Maybe I'm just getting old, but some of the stuff the kids do to their cars is just plain stupid. Then again, I don't understand people covered in tattoos either so what do I know? (A couple tattoos on women is sexy. Entire limbs covered in ink not so much.) ​​​​

Last edited by Smirnoff67; 12-15-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Motorin Mark (12-15-2022)
Old 12-15-2022, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
So when I was in Atlanta on Tuesday there was a Carrera GT out by the Track and I was sooooooo hoping they were gonna fire it up and do a few laps because IMO nothing sounds better than a Carrera GT or a LFA. I think my GTS sounds fine on and off the Track; heck, I even closed the Sport Exhaust after a couple hours on the highway to take a break from it. I'm sure the Goodyears didn't help the noise situation, but I won't know that for sure until I put some Michelin PS4's on when it's time.Here in Florida there's plenty of youngsters with slammed cars, crooked wheels, and those infernal fart-can exhausts they put on those jaloppies; ridiculous pickup trucks that are jacked-up in the front and lowered in the back with no mufflers; and every so often a Ford Mustang with a cross plane V8 and hideously loud, obnoxious exhaust. And every time I hear one of those three the first thought that hits my head is-somebody hand me a RPG. I absolutely hate those shltboxes. To me, cars like ours, most of the exotics, Chevy and Dodge muscle-cars are fine and sound great just plain stock. Maybe I'm just getting old, but some of the stuff the kids do to their cars is just plain stupid. Then again, I don't understand people covered in tattoos either so what do I know? (A couple tattoos on women is sexy. Entire limbs covered in ink not so much.) ​​​​
Preference of a loud exhaust has nothing to do with age. Haven’t any of you been to a classic car show? Goodguys etc? It’s a bunch of old guys with one foot in the grave, many of whom have extremely loud cars. My father is 73 and has glass packs strapped to a big block chevy. These kids, no class I tell ya. By the time they are 90 they will develop the class necessary to appreciate a subtle exhaust. Shouldn’t be allowed to have a car until at least 90.
The following 2 users liked this post by 22992:
shrimp money (12-15-2022), Smirnoff67 (12-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Lets be honest, the 992 is a tad boring