Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 01:02 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wireless Apple Carplay

Is it true that a prewired car for dashcam loses the wireless CarPlay? Sun coast has a note and that doesn’t seem logical unless it’s a channel restriction.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:36 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by vpopx2
Is it true that a prewired car for dashcam loses the wireless CarPlay? Sun coast has a note and that doesn’t seem logical unless it’s a channel restriction.
Yes and no ‼️

it depends how you set it up.

I’m resigned to removing the SD card to review the video and could never get the camera video to display on my iPhone.

So I have wireless CarPlay 100% of the time, video recording on the Porsche camera but not display on my iPhone.
The following users liked this post:
vpopx2 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

As worded, no. I had the prewiring option, have the front camera installed (cabriolet), and use wireless CarPlay all the time while the camera is recording.

That said, in order to access the camera itself, for settings or to view clips, I have to turn off CarPlay.
vpopx2 (11-14-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 03:24 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Dumb question but how is filing down the console? That's the part that worries me the most if the plastic doesn't file down smoothly or size wise make a gaping hole. The other question I had was it seems like you need to pull down the headliner a bit to clip in the yellow connector for the front? Is there any other trim that needs to be removed or loosened, besides the overhead console and gently pulling down the headliner?
Old 12-15-2023, 10:41 AM
vpopx2
Advanced

Originally Posted by dchang81
Dumb question but how is filing down the console? That's the part that worries me the most if the plastic doesn't file down smoothly or size wise make a gaping hole. The other question I had was it seems like you need to pull down the headliner a bit to clip in the yellow connector for the front? Is there any other trim that needs to be removed or loosened, besides the overhead console and gently pulling down the headliner?
So... they tried to install mine yesterday and realized you have to order a short wiring harness when you order the cameras (dealer mistake)... when you open up that small piece of the overhead console on the left side, the wire is there and you shouldn't have to open the headliner... that said, the filing down is only a small semi-circle for the wire to pass through. My assumption is if they screw that up, they can replace that small piece of plastic and try again. I really don't expect an issue when they use a round file to open that pass-through. Now the back camera, I'm not sure if they need to do something similar or the wire just comes out of the back...
Old 12-15-2023, 11:00 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 827 Likes on 383 Posts

So... they tried to install mine yesterday and realized you have to order a short wiring harness when you order the cameras (dealer mistake)... when you open up that small piece of the overhead console on the left side, the wire is there and you shouldn't have to open the headliner... that said, the filing down is only a small semi-circle for the wire to pass through. My assumption is if they screw that up, they can replace that small piece of plastic and try again. I really don't expect an issue when they use a round file to open that pass-through. Now the back camera, I'm not sure if they need to do something similar or the wire just comes out of the back...
yes the front harness is about $30 and the proprietary connector sticks to the windshield with double sided tape then the camera slides in to the connector - the power and video connectors are located behind the overhead lighting cover

I didn’t file the plastic cover there is enough room between the cover and windshield for the cable to slide through after you clip it back in place

the video cable connector may be easily accessible or not and may be hidden by black tape
vpopx2 (12-15-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 09:00 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 132 Posts

For those of you who have installed the Porsche dash cam, has the performance and ease of use improved with software updates?

I’m still debating whether to go with this or an aftermarket. Interestingly seems like all the top after market units also have some kind of buggy issues.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:10 AM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Not true at all. With most dash cams if you want to connect the phone to the Dashcam it is over wifi. CarPlay works over wifi as well. Both can not be connected simultaneously.
Old 12-16-2023, 02:13 PM
edofloat
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dchang81
I used a small triangular file to make a small notch where I wanted the hole. Then I used a round file to file it and test fit a few times until it was perfect.
dchang81 (12-16-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 02:20 PM
rbhun
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
im looking to buy a car that has the front dashcam installed. I’m thinking about installing a rear cam.

can somebody confirm the rear camera connector is present even if you only buy the front cam? I’d guess they didn’t make a ‘front only’ version.

I don’t think I can buy a Porsche rear camera, but since it’s an analog one I could just connect any?
Old 12-30-2023, 02:36 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rbhun
can somebody confirm the rear camera connector is present even if you only buy the front cam? I’d guess they didn’t make a ‘front only’ version.
My coupe has not been delivered yet, but I ordered the pre-wiring for the dashcam, and here is the description of the option from the configurator...

Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)
Pre-wiring for Porsche Dashcam (front and rear), which is available separately via Tequipment.
Old 12-30-2023, 03:41 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Default Dashcam

Just had mine installed and it’s doable with the prewire. When you buy the cameras they give you both for the prewired cars. If you are buying another year which is not prewired then you won’t find the connector in the back and I hear it’s expensive to add it.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:27 PM
rbhun
6th Gear

Just had mine installed and it’s doable with the prewire. When you buy the cameras they give you both for the prewired cars. If you are buying another year which is not prewired then you won’t find the connector in the back and I hear it’s expensive to add it.
I don’t really care about the cable to the back. I’ll have some other things added so I’ll have cables ran anyway. I have a shop which did all my cars so I trust them.

what I need to know if the front only camera can accept a rear input.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:41 PM
vpopx2
Advanced

Originally Posted by rbhun
I don’t really care about the cable to the back. I’ll have some other things added so I’ll have cables ran anyway. I have a shop which did all my cars so I trust them.

what I need to know if the front only camera can accept a rear input.
I’m not sure how it’s wired behind the panel. The actual camera doesn’t have any other connectors visible. Just a button and micro sd slot
Old 12-30-2023, 04:58 PM
rbhun
6th Gear

I’m not sure how it’s wired behind the panel. The actual camera doesn’t have any other connectors visible. Just a button and micro sd slot
according to most info here, the connector is behind the ceiling panel

Quick Reply: Preparation for Porsche Dashcam (Front and Rear)