Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have the car yet still feel like I am waiting

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 06:14 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Interesting replies . First I'd like to thank those who understood with some empathy that it hasn't been fun . I don't have Covid . I tested 5 times . My wife also tested negative . I do take Covid seriously despite those who have "mild" symptoms vs the extreme . My next door neighbors both died (husband and wife) one week before the vaccine and treatments came about. My wife's mother also died in the pre vaccine days. She was elderly but my neighbors were not. They were all careful . I was originally scheduled for my second booster tomorrow . I postponed it.

Being sick takes a lot of things that one normally enjoys and may not . I love to lap swim daily . I have not gone and even if I had waited a year for the pool to open I still would not feel up to it . We'll see how today goes .
Old 04-20-2022, 09:50 AM
rjongco
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 124 Posts

If it’s just sitting in your garage the least you could do is take some pictures and post them for us
Old 04-20-2022, 09:53 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Knowing that tone in these posts is easily misread, please take this in the helpful spirit it is offered: What tests have you done? Home tests are notoriously inaccurate for some people and some strains. Even rapid tests can give false positives with frightening regularity. If you have not already, you should go get a full PCR test. Not that it matters all that much if it is COVID or something else. It sounds like you are being considerate and limiting you exposure to others and you are likely past the time period where they do the treatment. But it might still give you more peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:00 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You’ll get better in due time and will be enjoying your car. Always remember, it could be a lot worse.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:09 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drew46
Knowing that tone in these posts is easily misread, please take this in the helpful spirit it is offered: What tests have you done? Home tests are notoriously inaccurate for some people and some strains. Even rapid tests can give false positives with frightening regularity. If you have not already, you should go get a full PCR test. Not that it matters all that much if it is COVID or something else. It sounds like you are being considerate and limiting you exposure to others and you are likely past the time period where they do the treatment. But it might still give you more peace of mind.
I did consider a PCR test initially but I was so sick that I didn't even want to go out . I read that PCR is the most accurate yet most of the inaccuracies were those who were doubtful after a known exposure . Since I did not know of an exposure I tested upon symptoms . I also read that repeat rapid testing generated accuracy . I thus tested daily for a total of 5 times . If any one time would have hit a positive then I would have accepted it . At the same time my wife who lacks symptoms also began rapid testing just to see if she hits a positive and all negative . The ONLY risk factor I had was the day I bought the car . Although a large ventilated dealership I was the only person wearing a mask . Outside of that all of my behaviors are low risk but it only takes once . In the early days when most were hesitant to even touch anything I wore mask and gloves with sanitizer . I never got sick . In hindsight I never felt inconvenienced by it.

At this point I am somewhat on the mend . I am knocked out by the ordeal but not floored like I had been .
Thanks . I agree with you.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:56 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Hoping you feel better soon!
The following users liked this post:
yrralis1 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:00 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

So sorry about your neighbors! But you have to understand that there is a huge difference between pre-vaccine COVID and post-vaccine COVID.

Most Americans are acting more out of emotion/fear and simply fail to recognize this. Sitting there all day wondering if you have COVID is just a colossal waste of mental power. Testing yourself over and over again until you get the answer that you are looking for serves what purpose?

Having said that--I hope you feel well soon and I recommend driving your car. I feel like crapola right now (sick for the past few days, but I have zero interest in whether it's COVID--that's what my 3 shots were for) and I am driving my 992 quite regularly when weather allows.

Last edited by Tupper; 04-20-2022 at 11:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
AlterZgo (04-20-2022), yrralis1 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
Sitting there all day wondering if you have COVID is just a colossal waste of mental power.
I respectfully, but adamantly, disagree. The unique challenge of COVID is its transmissibility. Knowing whether you are putting others at risk is - or at least should be - a consideration for any person other than the most selfish. I am a first responder (volunteer fire and EMS) and have had many instances where I have been exposed because the patient chose not to tell us they were COVID positive or chose not to care to know themselves. Every time that happens, I have to be worried about then bringing it home to my wife. Intentionally not knowing or not caring if you are caring an infectious disease is narcissistic at best. It reminds me of AIDS patients in the 80s (and since) going around having unprotected sex.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:23 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ I respectfully disagree. I am a physician and have been face to face with patients for the past 2 years (both before the vaccine and after).

There is nothing wrong with wanting to find out out if you have COVID, but to keep testing over and over and over--it starts to sound like something bordering on anxiety or obsession, and that's not healthy. By far, the most important intervention is vaccination. Get your immunity and move on. We have to come to terms with the reality that the virus is here, it's everywhere, and you aren't going to get away from it unless you barricade yourself in your home for the rest of your days on earth.

And I don't intend to do that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
AlterZgo (04-20-2022), SamD (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 11:46 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

I agree 100% with vaccination and with obsessive repeat testing. But are you telling me that, as a physician, you won't test if you have symptoms? Instead, you will continue to see patients and potentially expose them without informing them?
Old 04-20-2022, 12:02 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

I respectfully, but adamantly, disagree. The unique challenge of COVID is its transmissibility. Knowing whether you are putting others at risk is - or at least should be - a consideration for any person other than the most selfish. I am a first responder (volunteer fire and EMS) and have had many instances where I have been exposed because the patient chose not to tell us they were COVID positive or chose not to care to know themselves. Every time that happens, I have to be worried about then bringing it home to my wife. Intentionally not knowing or not caring if you are caring an infectious disease is narcissistic at best. It reminds me of AIDS patients in the 80s (and since) going around having unprotected sex.
Originally Posted by Tupper
^ I respectfully disagree. I am a physician and have been face to face with patients for the past 2 years (both before the vaccine and after).

There is nothing wrong with wanting to find out out if you have COVID, but to keep testing over and over and over--it starts to sound like something bordering on anxiety or obsession, and that's not healthy. By far, the most important intervention is vaccination. Get your immunity and move on. We have to come to terms with the reality that the virus is here, it's everywhere, and you aren't going to get away from it unless you barricade yourself in your home for the rest of your days on earth.

And I don't intend to do that.
I agree 100% with vaccination and with obsessive repeat testing. But are you telling me that, as a physician, you won't test if you have symptoms? Instead, you will continue to see patients and potentially expose them without informing them?
I feel its good to protect those around us and it starts with taking care of ones self . Since this is the first time I sneezed since 2018 I didn't know how many times to test . I quickly found that by playing google doctor everything I read was (parahrasing) "you are sick . you have Covid. Just keep testing".

I know that Florida has the image of being open with everything being great but almost everyone I know got sick . Most got better but the constant reminder of the empty home next door raised awareness . I saw their children grow up from three great kids into three great young men so when I saw the youngest crying next to his mothers car at 2AM I could not forget when he was only 10 despite being 35 . My wife survived pneumonia at age 22 and had been. intubated so theres some risk here at my home and we both have been diligent . Thus far she has been ok.

Switching gears I already started thinking about the car . I even thought about swimming a little. That means I have turned a corner and hope to bounce back in a few days . Things are looking up !
Old 04-20-2022, 12:08 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm going to recommend we move on from the COVID discussion and stay on the topic of driving your car.

Now drive it! And drive it fast!
The following 5 users liked this post by Tupper:
AlterZgo (04-20-2022), alvitdk (04-20-2022), Bread Pitt (04-21-2022), German1967 (04-20-2022), SamD (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:04 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

There is a HUGE difference between HIV/AIDS and the Covid Flu. I don't even know how you can even draw that parallel.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
There is a HUGE difference between HIV/AIDS and the Covid Flu. I don't even know how you can even draw that parallel.
The difference being yrallis's neighbors didn't die of AIDS.

Take it to Off Topic, as the moderator requested.

Quick Reply: I have the car yet still feel like I am waiting