Sponsored by:

New GTS owners first drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 07:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
That burning smell emanating out the back of a brand new 911 should be bottled and sold
Don't know what it is, but it still emanates through my garage after a decent drive, even from my Macan after 15k miles. A "Porsche engine smell". Never experienced the same with any other car I've had... and it's been with all the Porsches I've had (although I did notice it less with my 981 after 57k miles...)

Wife thinks I'm crazy. Good to see validation I'm not the only one.

Last edited by manifold danger; 04-02-2022 at 07:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Lander911 (04-02-2022), rk-d (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 07:22 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Don't know what it is, but it still emanates through my garage after a decent drive, even from my Macan after 15k miles. A "Porsche engine smell". Never experienced the same with any other car I've had... and it's been with all the Porsches I've had (although I did notice it less with my 981 after 57k miles...)

Wife thinks I'm crazy. Good to see validation I'm not the only one.
All the new Porsches I've owned have that burning smell. It usually means the car is happy.

The old ones have that leather+motor oil smell in the interior - my little daughter loves it. My wife thinks we're both crazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
manifold danger (04-02-2022), Yojeffo (04-02-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 11:29 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Here are some pictures of exterior/interior that some has wanted me to post. The DB Carbon overlays for the black piano colored center console pieces are a perfect match. Love them- no affiliation. I really like the Chalk Tach/Sport chrono - you can still see the number and now I understand that in white would be very difficult.

I will post a more in depth driving review in the next few days but I can tell you- I love this GTS. Now- Most Porsche 911 are really good and some no better than the other- but this one has exceeded my expectations. I will not go GT3 light( although maybe on the street) but this car has its own character.

One thing I do not understand - how come my Sport wheel w/ CF did not come with Chalk stitching!!!.

One thing I like are the paddles are like a very dark grey aluminum. They went really dark with the steering wheel and looks pretty cool and maybe that's why it has the black stitching??

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 04-03-2022 at 11:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy-D:
Kansas32 (04-03-2022), kimbersm (04-04-2022), TripleL (04-05-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 12:24 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I suspect if the Turbo or Turbo S weren’t significantly more money, most buyers of the 911 would have selected the Turbo as their top choice?

Point being - There will always be some of us, myself included, who will seek more power/speed…for the street, or the track. . Some on here have already bumped the S/4S….with stage 1 power bump up to 545 WHP….for only $2.4K Seems like a cost effective solution for more power/speed, although still not up to the Turbo’s capabilities, nevertheless, it has moved up.
Not true… I paid the $2.4K to M Engineering and declined extra HP - I just wanted the auto start stop, cold start and nasty farty sounds gone.. Not everyone cares about more power,. My favorite car is my least powerful out of 5 sports cars.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:37 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Really? I said all that? 🤔
Basically, yes that is the inference. I did not buy my GTS to settle on a purchase because the turbo is more expensive. I bought my GTS because that is the car I wanted and fortunately I have the means to do so. Plain and simple. You should really try to quit generalizing on many of your posts on things that are complete speculation on your part. I know you are one that has to get the last word in so fire away, and maybe start enjoying your own Porsche more because life is short and any of these 911's are amazing.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:40 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by icanthelpit
Basically, yes that is the inference. I did not buy my GTS to settle on a purchase because the turbo is more expensive. I bought my GTS because that is the car I wanted and fortunately I have the means to do so. Plain and simple. You should really try to quit generalizing on many of your posts on things that are complete speculation on your part. I know you are one that has to get the last word in so fire away, and maybe start enjoying your own Porsche more because life is short and any of these 911's are amazing.
I should stop “generalizing” that some people want more power? LOL Good one.

In case you haven’t noticed, many of the posts on Rennlist are “generalizations”…or “speculations”. See, I did it again. To your last point, I own a 911, and yes, they are amazing cars, although they would be even MORE AMAZING, if Porsche would eliminate the rattles/buzzing or squeaks. Yeah, another “generalization”, ie some of us have rattles, some don’t. Nevertheless, just because they are amazing, doesn’t mean all of us stop wanting to modifying attributes/characteristics of the car. Power being one of those attributes.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-04-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Not true… I paid the $2.4K to M Engineering and declined extra HP - I just wanted the auto start stop, cold start and nasty farty sounds gone.. Not everyone cares about more power,. My favorite car is my least powerful out of 5 sports cars.

Wow, do people on here actually read the posts? Where did I say “everyone” (key word) wants or “cares” about more power? I didn’t. But “some of us” do……and that’s exactly what I said, or implied…”some of us”. .

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-04-2022 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Drew46 (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 10:03 AM
Mcrov718
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you like the DB carbon for center console? I have mine coming in a couple weeks but when ordering the CF they don't have a lot of photos. Looks great on yours. Congrats and spec is nicely done.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mcrov718
How do you like the DB carbon for center console? I have mine coming in a couple weeks but when ordering the CF they don't have a lot of photos. Looks great on yours. Congrats and spec is nicely done.
It is a perfect match. Wait to you see how thin they are.

They had to be very difficult to manufacture. It certainly completes the CF interior and they are 100% better than the black piano pieces.

You need to be very careful when you put these on because the 3M tape is very strong so you only really get one shot

I would recommend starting with the bottom piece before the 2 side pieces. This will help you line up the side pieces better.

Last edited by Jimmy-D; 04-04-2022 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:21 AM
Mcrov718
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 17 Posts

Thank you, they really add that touch to it. Had the 2020 992 (GTS comes April 22nd) and the black smudged as well as little easier to scratch. The guy at DB seems awesome. I splurged a little, I have the CF side mirrors from factory but ordered the engine cover grill as well as the front lip in CF. Not cheap but reviews were great and seeing yours looks awesome. As for yours, did you do the gloss black package? or stick with the "standard" satin black. Love love love the color combo with the black top. Only other thing I've done (and took off when trading my other one in is removed the rear bumper reflectors, in my state it's not illegal and just cleaned it up. Sorry, get so excited to discuss with someone, the lady doesn't get cars nor the close friends... so my apologies for the rambling.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:31 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^ I also did the same and got the Satin Black ones' from Bumper plugs.

I went with the Standard satin black wheels ect.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:49 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,653 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
^ I also did the same and got the Satin Black ones' from Bumper plugs.

I went with the Standard satin black wheels ect.

I plan on just using a satin black wrap to cover the reflectors.

Amazon Amazon

The entire roll costs less than the sales tax on the one's from Bumper plugs. Did the gloss black inserts on the M5 door handles this way with a carbon fiber wrap and it still looks new after 8 years. I don't cheap on upgrades but I can't see the added value of the bumperplugs product.

Quick Reply: New GTS owners first drive impressions