Sponsored by:

New GTS owners first drive impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I suspect if the Turbo or Turbo S weren’t significantly more money, most buyers of the 911 would have selected the Turbo as their top choice?

Point being - There will always be some of us, myself included, who will seek more power/speed…for the street, or the track. . Some on here have already bumped the S/4S….with stage 1 power bump up to 545 WHP….for only $2.4K Seems like a cost effective solution for more power/speed, although still not up to the Turbo’s capabilities, nevertheless, it has moved up.
Bravo CodyBigDog! It takes some real chutzpah to post on this thread of people enjoying their new GTSs and suggest that they are too poor to buy the car that they really wanted.

Last edited by Lander911; 04-02-2022 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Lander911
Bravo CodyBigDog! I used to think you just had an irrational dislike of the GTS. Now I know you're really a next level troll. It takes some real chutzpah to post on this thread of people enjoying their new GTS and say that they are too poor to buy the car that they really wanted.

Really? I said all that? 🤔

What i actually said was - power/speed is a metric, that for many of us, can’t have enough of…if that were not true, there would not be as many aftermarket companies promising more power. So, my response to someone who suggested “anyone could need any more”…was to suggest that some of us always want more speed/power…There are multiple paths to achieve that. One is to get the turbo at a much higher price tag, but another is to do a power bump..and there are still other means (exhaust/headers, etc) to extract still more power from this engine.

Now, with the addition of electric motors on cars (all EV or hybrid), we are starting to see cars with even more HP than the Turbo…although not necessarily faster. Manufacturers (and their customers) will always continue to want more HP. That’s my point.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-02-2022 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:25 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Really? I said all that? 🤔

What i actually said was - power/speed is a metric, that for many of us, can’t have enough of…if that were not true, there would not be as many aftermarket companies promising more power. So, my response to someone who suggested “anyone could need any more”…was to suggest that some of us always want more speed/power…There are multiple paths to achieve that. One is to get the turbo, and another is to do a power bump..and there are still other means (exhaust/headers, etc) to extract still more power from this engine.
Do you post in the Turbo/Turbo S new delivery sections that if the SF90 or 760S weren't significantly more money, most buyers would have selected the SF90/760S? Of course more expensive cars offer something objectively "more," that's why they are more expensive. No need to rain on someone's parade by stating the obvious. Maybe some people (not you) are comfortable with the tradeoff in performance/price and really don't need more than what the car that they purchased offers.

I agree with what I think is your main point--some people will always want more power, but there was no need to suggest that people that bought new GTS really wanted to buy something else if only they could afford it. They same thing could be said about every purchase ever, and there's no end to the amount of money someone could spend to get more power.

Last edited by Lander911; 04-02-2022 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:33 PM
acamp76144
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 15 Posts

I suspect if the Turbo or Turbo S weren’t significantly more money, most buyers of the 911 would have selected the Turbo as their top choice?

Point being - There will always be some of us, myself included, who will seek more power/speed…for the street, or the track. . Some on here have already bumped the S/4S….with stage 1 power bump up to 545 WHP….for only $2.4K Seems like a cost effective solution for more power/speed, although still not up to the Turbo’s capabilities, nevertheless, it has moved up.

Point being that there isn’t any practical additional enjoyment for road use beyond a certain point (which truth be told could well be a base carerra!)

I don’t like the scoops and wings of the turbo/S personally - I prefer the classic silhouette. A GT3 (for the NA engine) in touring spec would have been the halo car to me, but wouldn’t work as a daily for me so GTS is peak Porsche 992 for me.

992wannabe (05-27-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by acamp76144
Point being that there isn’t any practical additional enjoyment for road use beyond a certain point (which truth be told could well be a base carerra!)

I don’t like the scoops and wings of the turbo/S personally - I prefer the classic silhouette. A GT3 (for the NA engine) in touring spec would have been the halo car to me, but wouldn’t work as a daily for me so GTS is peak Porsche 992 for me.
I decided to buy a GTS for exactly the same reasons!
Old 04-02-2022, 12:47 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Guys,

I have a brand new set of the all weather Mats from Porsche. I actually ended up with 2 but I am using one set

Any one interested PM me.

Figure $65 and I will manage shipment in US

Old 04-02-2022, 12:48 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by acamp76144

Agree, Do not like the Turbo scoops.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:52 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Lander911
Do you post in the Turbo/Turbo S new delivery sections that if the SF90 or 760S weren't significantly more money, most buyers would have selected the SF90/760S?
No, I don’t post there. Only on this site, ie, the “The Forum for the non-Turbo (992) 911. I only post here because this is what i own.

Of course more expensive cars offer something objectively "more," that's why they are more expensive. Maybe some people (not you) are comfortable with the tradeoff in performance/price and really don't need more than what the car that they purchased offers.
I agree. My post was meant more as “tongue and cheek”, ie., “you can never have enough power”, Power and speed are moving targets in the automotive world. If you buy a car today, tomorrow there will be something faster and more powerful. Just the way it is. I think most car people know and accept this.

Oh, and not trying to “rain on anybody’s parade”. I didn’t say anything about his car. Zero. But even if I had, IMO, nobody should take any post on here about a car, too seriously, or be offended. I don’t. We all have opinions.

What a customer is willing to pay for “more” car is determined by the priorities of the buying customer. Those priorities would include (1) features on the car, (2) capabilities of the car, (3) cost of the car, and (4) budget/what they are willing to spend, etc. After selling my company a couple of years ago, I was financially in a position to buy pretty much any car I wanted. But my wife had other ideas that brought me back to Earth. But even so, I still look for ways to satisfy my itch for more power, without offending my wife.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:34 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,653 Likes on 781 Posts

I don't often (OK, rarely) see eye to eye with Cody, but I have to say that I did not take his post as pissing on the GTS or implying GTS owners are too poor to buy a Turbo. In fact, his argument is that there are less expensive ways to get more power. For some people, there can never bo too much horsepower. I am probably in that camp. I certainly am when it comes to boats - I never heard a boat owner say that they wish the had got a smaller engine.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:44 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,212 Likes on 2,079 Posts

There’s a hierarchy of models with any marque.

My question is, do you guys walk up to owners of a 720s and say you settled on this because you’re too poor for a P1 or Senna?

Maybe a 488 owner and says what up clown, couldn’t afford a Pista?
manifold danger (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 04:18 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Me thinks some people read WAY, WAY too much into a post. There’s no hidden meaning. It’s as simple as: many people want more power, and can never get enough.

That said, I’ve been accused by my wife, of meaning something different, when asked by her, “what do you think of the outfit I’m wearing”…and I respond, “looks good”. 😳.

But hey, people gonna believe whatever they want.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 04-02-2022 at 04:21 PM.
SBAD (04-04-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 05:12 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,653 Likes on 781 Posts

Wife: "Honey, do these pants make me look fat?"
Husband: "No. It's your *** that makes you look fat."
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
992wannabe (05-27-2022), porcupineorange (08-31-2023)
Old 04-02-2022, 05:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Drew46
Wife: "Honey, do these pants make me look fat?"
Husband: "No. It's your *** that makes you look fat."
Man, I would never go there with my wife. It wouldn’t end well, for me.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:19 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Man, I would never go there with my wife. It wouldn’t end well, for me.
Nor anyone!!
Lander911 (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 06:56 PM
Lander911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew46
I don't often (OK, rarely) see eye to eye with Cody, but I have to say that I did not take his post as pissing on the GTS or implying GTS owners are too poor to buy a Turbo. In fact, his argument is that there are less expensive ways to get more power. For some people, there can never bo too much horsepower. I am probably in that camp. I certainly am when it comes to boats - I never heard a boat owner say that they wish the had got a smaller engine.
I agree, his second paragraph was a completely valid point, although I'm not sure this is the right thread for that discussion. His first paragraph had nothing to do with that point. Not that I'm surprised, Cody loves to be provocative, especially when it comes to the GTS.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lander911:
Drew46 (04-03-2022), manifold danger (04-02-2022), shrimp money (04-02-2022)

Quick Reply: New GTS owners first drive impressions