Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4s vs gts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2022 | 01:33 AM
boutrosa
Instructor

Default 4s vs gts

My 911 is a 992 4s. I am trying to understand how big of a difference is my 4s would be to a GTS. The reason I ask this is, my 911, has RWS, PDCC, Sport suspension and SE.
Here are my questions

1: Is the GTS suspension, 10mm lower than a Spasm car, or the same as SPASM?
2: I understand that the GTS has the helper springs, But is the suspension much stiffer than that with SPASM of very similar.
3: How much faster is the GTS? Is I add the M Engineering tune to my vehicle, It should be as fast if not faster than the GTS.
4: SE are the two exhausts the same? Or does the GTS sounds different?

How different are the 2 cars, and you can get a power boost with a tune that would make the 4s faster than a gas.

you thoughts
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boutrosa
My 911 is a 992 4s. I am trying to understand how big of a difference is my 4s would be to a GTS. The reason I ask this is, my 911, has RWS, PDCC, Sport suspension and SE.
Here are my questions

2: I understand that the GTS has the helper springs, But is the suspension much stiffer than that with SPASM of very similar.
3: How much faster is the GTS? Is I add the M Engineering tune to my vehicle, It should be as fast if not faster than the GTS.

How different are the 2 cars, and you can get a power boost with a tune that would make the 4s faster than a gas.

you thoughts
I don't think there are enough non-Youtubers that have driven the 992 GTS to say how different it is from a 4S.

But I will say this, a tune may make the 4S faster than the GTS, but it will not make it drive similarly.

The current iteration of the GTS in the 992 generation is less about more power (as it was in prior generations like the 991) and more about overall driving dynamics where the whole really is supposed to be greater than the sum of the parts (ex some of the cosmetic touches like the Sportex and extra badges).

In other words, if you want a GTS, get a GTS. A modded 4S will be just that, a modded 4S.
The following 8 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
bmclaurin (03-12-2022), detansinn (03-12-2022), Kansas32 (03-12-2022), Lander911 (03-12-2022), shrimp money (03-12-2022), User 81423 (03-13-2022), westcoastj (03-13-2022), yrralis1 (03-12-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-12-2022 | 04:16 AM
bmclaurin
Instructor

^^^^ This absolutely. I can't add much to what has already been said. And I haven't driven a 992 GTS. But I will say this. My 992 CS has the M-Eng Stage 1 tune, and it is brutally quick--much more so than could ever be fully explored responsibly on public roads. I mean it is *shockingly* quick and fast. To me, this iteration of the GTS is not about being quicker/faster. Rather, I totally agree with what ipse dixit said: the 992 GTS seems to be more about having a slightly different driving dynamic (perhaps unlike previous generations). And if that's what you're after, then you should get a GTS. But if the extra speed/quickness is what is alluring you, a tuned 992S is a monster that could easily scratch that itch.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 07:32 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It’s not hard to make a 4S faster than a GTS, but that’s not what the car is all about. It’s other details like reduced sound proofing, different suspension tuning, and apparently, even tweaked power steering software. Yes, it’s the same engine as an S with a different tune, but these other changes manage to make the car a little different.

That said, if you already have a 4S, it doesn’t make any sense to do the upgrade to a GTS. Allocations are difficult and expensive to come by. The overall experience is not dramatically different for the premium that you’d be paying.

I’d keep the 4S stock and invest in driving instruction. You’d get more out of that than you would with a tune. The 4S is not a slow car by any metric.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
icanthelpit (03-12-2022), SamD (03-12-2022), vg247 (01-08-2023), Vista6019 (01-07-2023)
Old 03-12-2022 | 08:59 AM
ron4sc
Instructor

I'm an interested follower of this topic. My SA says that I am next on the list for a C4S allocation but would be third if I switched to a GTS RWD. That isn't a big deal because I am patient. What I sometimes struggle with is that my exact builds between the C4S and GTS are only a $3k difference. That's trivial so the real-world differences between the two are an interesting discussion.

I agree with everyone who says the performance is insignificant between the two cars that run a 10.8 and an 11.0 quarter mile. We're not in high school anymore and there's no way I'm going to push either car to the limits on a track.
Old 03-12-2022 | 09:11 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

In my opinion, I think it deserves a conversation about RWD VS AWD.
i’m only saying that’s because I had a 991.2 C4S (2018) that I traded in for a 992 (2021) C2.

Coming from and all wheel drive(s) and going into rear wheel base - I truly enjoy the involvement and engagement of a rear wheel drive car better. The 992 base is more enjoyable then 911.2 4S.

I guess it depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for more of a dynamic driving experience go GTS. If you’re looking for a faster launch, more stability, and don’t mind a heavier car, go tuned 4S. I will say that I always regretted not getting a GTS and settling for a 4S back in 2018.

If I had an allocation for GTS coming up at the next 12 months I would jump on it!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by APEX GT3:
fatherdougal (03-14-2022), shrimp money (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 11:41 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boutrosa
Here are my questions

you thoughts

It is the same height as a 4S with SPASM.

Don't know if a GTS is much stiffer, but helper springs themselves don't improve ride quality. They keep tension on the main spring when the suspension is fully extended. Since GTSs are supposed to be sportier, I assume they are tuned to be stiffer than a regular 4S with SPASM.

It is noticeably quicker. This Car and Driver review indicates it hits 0-60 in 2.7 secs and the 1/4 mi in 10.9 at 128 mph vs. a 4S tested by C&D which does the same in 2.8 and 11.1 @ 124 mph. However, if you add the M Engineering tune to your 4S, you will pretty easily blow away a stock GTS because the M Engineering tune adds substantially more power to the car... like +120 peak wheel hp with 93 octane gas to +156 hp if you run E85.

GTS is louder than a stock 4S with PSE. Don't know if it physically has different exhaust parts or if it's due to different ECU tuning that makes the exhaust noise louder or both. Additionally, GTS has less sound insulation which also makes the exhaust sound louder.

The differences are pretty well documented. I'm sure the sum of the parts makes the cars feel very different as well and the GTS seems like a very nice, well sorted package. WIth respect to tuning, as noted above, a simple stage 1 M Engineering tune... or any reputable tune for that matter, will make your 4S significantly out accelerate a GTS.

you thoughts

You have a very nicely optioned 4S. If you add an M Engineering tune to your car, I am sure you will be very satisfied. If we were in more normal times where a GTS allocation could be easily obtained for MSRP or less and there were no parts shortages, perhaps it would make sense to get a GTS. Nowadays, expect to pay a significant ADM and wait a year or two. I'd rather just get the M Engineering tune and enjoy what I have. If things ease up in the next year or two, you can always upgrade at that time. Life is short. Enjoy!
The following 4 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Charles Everson (09-30-2023), Go Bruins (03-12-2022), Michigan 992 (03-12-2022), shrimp money (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:20 PM
ron4sc
Instructor

About 15 years ago I was driving my RWD Lexus IS300 and ran over black ice. The car spun out and I hit a tree. That accident has always remained in my mind and it's part of my fear of buying an S or GTS with RWD. I don't know if I still would have had an accident if I was driving an AWD car or not, but it's the main reason I'm waiting for a C4S allocation. If this is irrational, let me know. I'm from Southern California so winter weather driving isn't something we dealt with on the streets of Los Angeles.
The following 2 users liked this post by ron4sc:
Go Bruins (03-12-2022), La Carrera (03-12-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:44 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron4sc
About 15 years ago I was driving my RWD Lexus IS300 and ran over black ice. The car spun out and I hit a tree. That accident has always remained in my mind and it's part of my fear of buying an S or GTS with RWD. I don't know if I still would have had an accident if I was driving an AWD car or not, but it's the main reason I'm waiting for a C4S allocation. If this is irrational, let me know. I'm from Southern California so winter weather driving isn't something we dealt with on the streets of Los Angeles.
AWD/4WD would not help on glare/black ice. Winter tires could help; studded tires would likely have saved your car.
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:47 PM
aquanaut
Racer

Man people here are really drinking the Porsche Kool Aid. A GTS is an S with a slightly tweaked option package, basically the best stuff for the S + slightly better brakes, suspension and a mildly more aggressive tune. You can replicate 95% of this by modifying an S. People like stock though, so from a resale perspective a GTS will remain a "GTS" and a modded S will always be a "modded S"
The following 2 users liked this post by aquanaut:
doug_999 (03-14-2022), Mikey K (01-04-2023)
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:48 PM
McNamara
Racer

Originally Posted by DSC48
AWD/4WD would not help on glare/black ice. Winter tires could help; studded tires would likely have saved your car.
I'm sure AWD would provide some benefit, but with black ice, I'm assuming it's extremely marginal and yes, winter/studded tires are probably the only thing to make a real difference.
Old 03-12-2022 | 01:50 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

My own experience is 4WD does not help on “black ice”, but will help in snow. Been there, done that…and plenty of YouTube videos of 4WD cars and trucks spinning out and crashing after hitting black ice at high speed. However, learning what to do in a spin on ice, is key. So is slowing waaaaaay down when the road condition turns bad.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-12-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2022 | 02:38 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Those of you pointing out that you can make an S faster than GTS with the tune - yes, but don’t forget GTS can take the same tune for equivalent net power.
The following users liked this post:
fatherdougal (03-14-2022)
Old 03-12-2022 | 03:18 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

The only possible help would be if you had time to give it some more gas and the front tires had more traction and that restablized you. Seems unlikely. The drive system does not have an impact on traction at steady speed/ gas pedal position, steering or braking.
Old 03-12-2022 | 03:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Those of you pointing out that you can make an S faster than GTS with the tune - yes, but don’t forget GTS can take the same tune for equivalent net power.
I suspect that if the “same tune”, as used for the S, could also be used on the GTS, M-Tune (for example) would have mentioned it. Their web site says, “coming soon”. Point being - yes, there will one day be a tune for the GTS, but it may not be as straight forward as just bumping up the GTS another 100hp, (per what is done with the 93Octane/ S tune), from it’s stock 480hp. For example, on the M-Tune web site, they have the warning:

Using a lower octane than is designated by the calibration can promote increased engine wear and in severe cases catastrophic engine damage. Never run a map designed for high octane with low octane in the fuel tank.”

I suspect the aforementioned warning will be even a greater concern, for the GTS, if the power bump approaches an additional 100hp ? ​​​​​​There are limits to how high you can push the power bump, without affecting reliability. But I’ve only tuned my M4, so can’t say for sure what happens with the 992 engine….just saying it’s not as straight forward as some people might think.

Quick Reply: 4s vs gts