4s vs gts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 06:09 AM
Jim Wilke
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
Few things:

Black Ice: you shouldn’t be driving at below freezing temps, if you do than you are at your own risk. A pickup truck could spin up just like a 911 could. Ice is Ice. Snow tires and/or Awd doesn’t matter
I live in Alaska. Please advise.
The following 4 users liked this post by Jim Wilke:
APEX GT3 (03-13-2022), KM20Turbo (11-08-2022), MarascoDrv85 (08-27-2023), Mikey K (01-04-2023)
Old 03-13-2022, 08:22 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Wilke
I live in Alaska. Please advise.
Move.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (03-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2022, 09:59 AM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

CayenneGTS with snow tires and chains.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:03 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Bigger, or better brakes, is not always about stopping distance.

At least not stopping distance at one time.

Rather, the larger rotors allow for greater heat dissipation, which allows for consistent stopping distances over repeated stops, not just one. Which, in real life (yes, there is a such thing) matters more than a one-take 60-0 or 100-0 stopping distance test.

Who said the measured shorter stopping distance for the S was just a one time event? Here is C&D (and I’m sure others) methodology on determining stopping distance. When it came to reporting the stopping distance for the 9924S, they described it as, “bang on consistent”.

C&D Braking Methodology:

Chassis performance testing answers two essential questions: how short can a car stop, and how hard can it turn. Our standard braking testing consists of six stops from 70 mph to zero. Five of them are done in close succession, with the sixth stop coming after approximately a mile of cooling so that we can roughly determine how well the brakes shed heat, which is otherwise known as "brake fade." Stopping from exactly 70.0 mph is, obviously, a very difficult thing to do. So, we stop from between 70.0 and 70.5 mph, using a tape switch on the brake pedal so we know exactly when the brake pedal is first touched. Then we correct the distance to a true 70.0-mph start based on the average deceleration from that stop. To avoid any issues with a one-off accomplishment, we report the second-best stop from the group of six as our 70-mph-to-zero distance. On high-performance vehicles, we also measure 100-mph-to-zero distance.

Oh, and the stopping distance between the S and the GTS, in some reports, is as much as 18 feet (100mph-0)*, so well outside any margin of measurement error. That said, I will concede that there could be a difference between these street measurements, and consistently hard braking while on the track. But suspect that doesn’t apply to most of us who will rarely, if ever track…and if we do, it would NOT be nearly as aggressive to where the performance of the brakes are degraded. My last comment comes to me from two trusted college buddies who track every weekend, weather permitting (in response to my question to them - should I get different brakes for the track? - In both cases, the answer was no, not needed).

* https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...arrera-gts-992

* https://fastestlaps.com/models/porsc...-carrera-s-992

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-13-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Who said the measured shorter stopping distance for the S was just a one time event? Here is C&D (and I’m sure others) methodology on determining stopping distance. When it came to reporting the stopping distance for the 9924S, they described it as, “bang on consistent”.

C&D Braking Methodology:

Chassis performance testing answers two essential questions: how short can a car stop, and how hard can it turn. Our standard braking testing consists of six stops from 70 mph to zero. Five of them are done in close succession, with the sixth stop coming after approximately a mile of cooling so that we can roughly determine how well the brakes shed heat, which is otherwise known as "brake fade." Stopping from exactly 70.0 mph is, obviously, a very difficult thing to do. So, we stop from between 70.0 and 70.5 mph, using a tape switch on the brake pedal so we know exactly when the brake pedal is first touched. Then we correct the distance to a true 70.0-mph start based on the average deceleration from that stop. To avoid any issues with a one-off accomplishment, we report the second-best stop from the group of six as our 70-mph-to-zero distance. On high-performance vehicles, we also measure 100-mph-to-zero distance.

Oh, and the stopping distance between the S and the GTS, in some reports, is as much as 18 feet (100mph-0)*, so well outside any margin of measurement error. That said, I will concede that there could be a difference between these street measurements, and consistently hard braking while on the track. But suspect that doesn’t apply to most of us who will rarely, if ever track…and if we do, it would NOT be nearly as aggressive to where the performance of the brakes are degraded. My last comment comes to me from two trusted college buddies who track every weekend, weather permitting (in response to my question to them - should I get different brakes for the track? - In both cases, the answer was no, not needed).
Here's the actual link to the C&D Brake Test.

So they take 6 stops from 70-0, with the last one after allowing the brake to cool after a 1-mile cool down. Then they take the 2nd best stopping distance from the 6 stops and publish that one.

But that type of testing doesn't really illustrate how the brake system (either on the S or the GTS or whatever) resists fade over repeated stops.

It would be more informative if C&D would publish all six stops to show the linear progression from Stop 1 to Stop 6, which would reveal how each brake system resists fade.

Instead they simply select the 2nd best stopping distance (to avoid the inevitable "hero" stopping time) which in the grand scheme of things is rather meaningless if what one wants to know is how each brake system (S v. GTS) resists fade over repeated stops. Because that's what's really important to me anyways.

So, yes, the C&D brake test is a one time event.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 03-13-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

My post #34 is from C&D, on the methodology they use…..and was quoted exactly as they printed it.

Our standard braking testing consists of six stops from 70 mph to zero. Five of them are done in close succession, with the sixth stop coming after approximately a mile of cooling so that we can roughly determine how well the brakes shed heat, which is otherwise known as "brake fade.”

Regarding possible brake fade on the 992S stopping distance, C&D further added: “bang on consistent” . 😱

If you don’t want to believe there is little to no brake fade, then maybe you should contact C&D and tell them to retract their statement that the braking distance was “bang on consistent”. 👍

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 03-13-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:57 PM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
Move.
hahaha
Old 03-13-2022, 09:43 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

OP, buy whatever model makes you happy and afford. I ordered a C4S over a GTS.

Avoid the trap of "NEED MOAR POWER!", even the base 911s will land you in jail and not all owners are Randy Pobst to drive these bars at their limits.
Schwarz992C4S (01-04-2023)
Old 03-13-2022, 11:04 PM
ron4sc
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO

Avoid the trap of "NEED MOAR POWER!", even the base 911s will land you in jail ....
To your point, I was watching Max from AutotopNL drive a C2S at 191mph on the Autobahn. It's hard to call a car like that anything other than a hypercar as little as ten years ago.

Old 03-14-2022, 12:51 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo

3: How much faster is the GTS? Is I add the M Engineering tune to my vehicle, It should be as fast if not faster than the GTS.

It is noticeably quicker. This Car and Driver review indicates it hits 0-60 in 2.7 secs and the 1/4 mi in 10.9 at 128 mph vs. a 4S tested by C&D which does the same in 2.8 and 11.1 @ 124 mph.
you meant “not noticeably quicker” correct?
ron4sc (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:43 AM
boutrosa
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO

Avoid the trap of "NEED MOAR POWER!", even the base 911s will land you in jail and not all owners are Randy Pobst to drive these bars at their limits.
Agreed.

I have a C4s. My my only issue with it is the low end torque. need a bit more on the low end. That is the only reason I ordered the tune. Not to go faster. It's plenty fast. You feel invincible driving it. Actually, I do not care for a faster 0-60. I think all the time that if I were to trade it in, it would be for a manual.

Charles Everson (09-30-2023)
Old 03-14-2022, 03:13 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999

3: How much faster is the GTS? Is I add the M Engineering tune to my vehicle, It should be as fast if not faster than the GTS.

It is noticeably quicker. This Car and Driver review indicates it hits 0-60 in 2.7 secs and the 1/4 mi in 10.9 at 128 mph vs. a 4S tested by C&D which does the same in 2.8 and 11.1 @ 124 mph.
you meant “not noticeably quicker” correct?
No I don't. 2/10s of a sec in the 1/4 mile at 128+ MPH is a good 2-3 car lengths. That is very noticeable... more than one would think 30 hp would provide. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a GTS dynos about +50 more HP than a Carrera S.

Last edited by AlterZgo; 03-14-2022 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:56 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by boutrosa
Agreed.

I have a C4s. My my only issue with it is the low end torque. need a bit more on the low end. That is the only reason I ordered the tune. Not to go faster. It's plenty fast. You feel invincible driving it. Actually, I do not care for a faster 0-60. I think all the time that if I were to trade it in, it would be for a manual.
Hello, I voiced my displeasure with the low-end torque of my C2S and asked whether anyone has applied a tune felt a noticeable difference. The answers I received were typical "if you're looking for low-end torque get a big V8", hardly a beneficial answer. So since it looks we both share the same concern, did you get your tune yet? Which one did you decide on? How does the car perform now at low-end torque?
Old 03-14-2022, 09:10 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

No I don't. 2/10s of a sec in the 1/4 mile at 128+ MPH is a good 2-3 car lengths. That is very noticeable... more than one would think 30 hp would provide. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if a GTS dynos about +50 more HP than a Carrera S.
you “might” notice that in a drag race assuming everyone uses launch control and everthing is perfect and you “notice” you barely lost.

but day to day, I assure you, you would not notice the difference. It is in fact, negligible.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

If the math holds up, you are definitely going to notice a C2 loss vs GTS. 2/10 of a second is indeed 2-3 car lengths at 128mph. In the racing world, losing by 2-3 cars could be considered getting smoked. You may not notice the added quickness sitting in the seat, but on a drag strip you sure will, provided of course everything goes perfect. AlterZgo is correct, this is not insignificant if it were to play out. However, this happening with any consistency is suspect, and everyone knows two tests at different times should be taken with a grain of salt. Directionally, the GTS will obviously be faster, how much so is yet to be proven in the real world. I'm hoping we got some reviews that put these 2 side by side soon.

Quick Reply: 4s vs gts