Sponsored by:

4s vs gts

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 01:57 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I'm still laughing about the "noticeable" difference. .1 second faster to 60 being "noticeable" just makes me laugh - but/and, back to the "teens" when there was no launch control and that race was won on skill way more than your car having 30 HP more.
It depends how you look at it. According to C&D testing, the GTS was 0.4 and 0.5 seconds faster through the quarter mile than the Carrera-S for the PDK and 7MT respectively (comparing the PDK together and 7MT together). Motortrend has a 0.4 second difference in the quarter mile between the GTS-4 and C4S they tested. To put that in perspective, that puts the GTS 75+ feet ahead of the C-S when it crosses the quarter mile. I'd say that is definitely "noticeable".

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-04-2023 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 04:11 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
It depends how you look at it. According to C&D testing, the GTS was 0.4 and 0.5 seconds faster through the quarter mile than the Carrera-S for the PDK and 7MT respectively they tested (comparing the PDK together and 7MT together). Motortrend has a 0.4 second difference in the quarter mile between the GTS-4 and C4S they tested. To put that in perspective, that puts the GTS 75+ feet ahead of the C-S when it crosses the quarter mile. I'd say that is definitely "noticeable".
Agree. 75 feet is about 5 car lengths. The performance delta btw S and GTS clearly shows more than a 30 hp and 30 lb/ft torque bump. If you go by the differences noted in magazine tests, I am positive that difference can be clearly felt. It would not surprise me if a stage 1 tuned S has similar acceleration to a stock GTS.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Hai Blau GTS
I respectfully disagree that a "tuned Base or S" is identical to the power and driving dynamics of a GTS. Why? Because I have experience driving both... and I just traded in a 992 base with a stage 2 tune and sport cats. The problem was the unexpected performance change, occasional check engine lights, constantly on the top of my mind, and most importantly... the lack of connection with the PDK to the new power band. The aftermarket tune just doesn't "marry" well and align to the PDK tuning, hence exactly why M-Engineering now has a PDK tune (you will need to ship in your TCM)... Tuning your ECU over OBD is one thing.. but removing a device and adjusting the PDK is another. It's just too much risk and anxiety for a new 150+K car IMO. The guys at M-Enginering are terrific but a GTS engineered with the factory power delivery VS a tuned Base/S is a no-brainer. So much so, that I took a hit $$$ on both the sport cats and tune (only had for 4 months) to trade the car in for a GTS. Prior to the 992 I had a 991.2 4s I tuned and the cobb tune "bricked" my ecu and I had to flatbed the car. The fuel pressure system faltered and confused the tuned ECU. A random mechanical failure caused it, so out of cobbs' hands and they did nothing to help me.

In summary, for the 992 the PDK did not play well with the tune, the car felt "off" IMO. When I removed the tune, the car felt much better albeit slower(and with e CEL from the sport cats) but it felt connected to the sum of all its parts.

The 992 GTS is special, and no other 992 can equal the GTS both in the value for the dollar, performance, customization options, and long-term value. I wanted a GTS back in 2016 and I went with a 4S and regretted it. Did it again in 2020 with a C2 and regretted it. So I got on a list at 5 local dealers and waited for a 23 GTS.

Thank you for this feedback. For me at least, the real world feedback of someone who has owned and driven both cars means significantly more than the spoutings of either the GTS Haters or the GTS Kool-Aid drinkers, in both cases people who can't see past their own biases,
The following 2 users liked this post by Drew46:
abrahamjones (01-16-2023), Quikag (08-08-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 01:20 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Agree. 75 feet is about 5 car lengths. The performance delta btw S and GTS clearly shows more than a 30 hp and 30 lb/ft torque bump. If you go by the differences noted in magazine tests, I am positive that difference can be clearly felt. It would not surprise me if a stage 1 tuned S has similar acceleration to a stock GTS.
Looking at various trap speed drag simulators, the results are in line with a ~7% power bump, which is pretty much what the GTS has over the -S.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:35 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
All 911’s are special in my opinion. It terms that they are a very aspirational purchase. That being said, no 911 outside of the special editions are truly somewhat unattainable, which historically speaking is what makes a car “special”. They make a ton of them and anyone with the cash can have whatever model they want. There is nothing significant that would make a GTS more special than any other non-special 911. It’s just consumables. Brakes/suspension. HP/torque not a factor really it’s so close. I’m first to admit that the GTS is the highest performance version for the Carrera line. But “special” as compared to other non-special 911? no, sorry that can’t possibly be true given the subtle changes they made, same engine, trans, the extremely comparable performance figures to the S, and the sheer amount of cars they will produce. If it’s special to you, awesome. Buy it. If it’s not special to to you, don’t buy it. That’s all there is to it really. The GTS is an amazing car, but let’s not get crazy here.
Nicely put.

Last edited by aggie57; 01-04-2023 at 02:38 PM.
Schwarz992C4S (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 03:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Motor trend has both the GTS and S at 2.9 0-60. The fastest 1/4 documented on the s was 11.18, fastest on the GTS was 10.9 with and undisclosed significant figure, 2.5% faster. It's extremely challenging to compare performance numbers on different dates/conditions, but it's fair to say both the GTS and S have had tests that were much slower than these personal bests on multiple occasions. The official ring numbers have the GTS besting the S by 5 sec. on a 7 minute circuit or 1.19% faster. The point is these cars are close...very close. Again, the GTS is a better performer and in my opinion the best Carrera, but it is what it is. Lets all accept it.
johny221 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 04:15 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
Thank you for this feedback. For me at least, the real world feedback of someone who has owned and driven both cars means significantly more than the spoutings of either the GTS Haters or the GTS Kool-Aid drinkers, in both cases people who can't see past their own biases,
100% agree.

I only commented because I did recently drove both. All 3 variants in RWD.

- Owned Base (drove oem and tuned on street and track)
- Drove S (on track only)
- Drove GTS (on the track only)

I’m only stating that from the Porsche factory there is a noticeable sound and driving difference. It’s my opinion but that’s the facts for where I’m sitting. Now if you wanna talk about aftermarket performance parts - shouldn’t even be part of the equation since it’s so subjective to the micro level of the aftermarket tune and bolt ons.

It’s like every three or four years people complain about the GTS and it’s always the ones who don’t have a GTS.

I’ve been on different 911 Forums since 2014 and the three GTS variance that came out there’s the same chatter back-and-forth.

Smirnoff67 (01-04-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 02:38 PM
shelbyking
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 22992
Motor trend has both the GTS and S at 2.9 0-60. The fastest 1/4 documented on the s was 11.18, fastest on the GTS was 10.9 with and undisclosed significant figure, 2.5% faster. It's extremely challenging to compare performance numbers on different dates/conditions, but it's fair to say both the GTS and S have had tests that were much slower than these personal bests on multiple occasions. The official ring numbers have the GTS besting the S by 5 sec. on a 7 minute circuit or 1.19% faster. The point is these cars are close...very close. Again, the GTS is a better performer and in my opinion the best Carrera, but it is what it is. Lets all accept it.
Car and Driver test reports 2.8/10.9@128mph which is quite strong indeed. 128 trap for a completely stock vehicle no where near optimized for straightline mertrics is admirable even by todays standards.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Quick Reply: 4s vs gts