Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Paint - Orange Peel on Purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 10:15 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Factory Paint - Orange Peel on Purpose?

I was watching this AMMO You Tube and right at about 14:45 of this video below he talks about Porsche intentionally paints with the intention of putting some orange peel on the final paint job to help in blending scratches that will inevitably occur. He said polishing to a smooth finish may later show scratches more. This makes me not want to polish to a complete smooth finish. Never really occurred to me. I just assumed that I'd eventually get the paint buffed to a smooth finish but now I'm having my doubts. Interested in whether you guys have thought about this and whether this impacted your decision to get paint correction particularly right when you picked up the car.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:07 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

You can do a "show car" finish (if the car has adequate clear coat thickness) with a show car level cut and buff. It'll be gorgeous but an absolute bear to maintain in that state AND if you continue to try to correct the paint you'll eventually go through the clear and have a real mess on your hands. The factory paint job is pretty good - good enough, in my mind, to live with as is. Minor paint correction prior to ceramic or other coating is not nearly as aggressive as a true cut and buff. Most show car paint jobs have many coats of clear built up to a greater thickness - this is done because the plan is to remove a substantial amount of that clear after painting with color sanding and subsequent cutting / buffing.
The following users liked this post:
alibo70 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:15 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

It’s not exactly like that. There is orange peel in every factory paint job from every maker until you get into the realm of Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls….because in those brands they are wet-sanding the paint using microfiber sandpapers to get to the absolute best finishes. You can polish or buff your Porsche until your hands wear out and are not going to get a wet sanded finish. You have to sand the color coats underneath the clears, it would be a major project best left to a Pro painter to get the orange peel out of your car, and effectively it’s a whole new paint job. This is also why custom hot rods look so good, most have an extensive wet sanded paint job on them.
The following 5 users liked this post by drcollie:
alibo70 (02-24-2022), Autobacs (02-23-2022), OliverK68 (05-13-2023), Schwarz992C4S (02-24-2022), Skarz (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 11:39 PM
Autobacs
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
It’s not exactly like that. There is orange peel in every factory paint job from every maker until you get into the realm of Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls….because in those brands they are wet-sanding the paint using microfiber sandpapers to get to the absolute best finishes. You can polish or buff your Porsche until your hands wear out and are not going to get a wet sanded finish. You have to sand the color coats underneath the clears, it would be a major project best left to a Pro painter to get the orange peel out of your car, and effectively it’s a whole new paint job. This is also why custom hot rods look so good, most have an extensive wet sanded paint job on them.
Thanks for explaining that. I'm satisfied with the factory paint truth be told. I just use Griot's hand wax constantly and it looks great. At first I was curious about the ever so slight wavyness in the paint but then grew to tolerate it. I don't think I have the time or skill to maintain a custom hot rod finish anyway.

Old 02-24-2022, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

The side rocker panels have orange, intentionally.

They are there for a reason -- road rash.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:00 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Thanks for explaining that. I'm satisfied with the factory paint truth be told. I just use Griot's hand wax constantly and it looks great. At first I was curious about the ever so slight wavyness in the paint but then grew to tolerate it. I don't think I have the time or skill to maintain a custom hot rod finish anyway.
Consider doing a ceramic coating on your paint - I finally did and am glad I did. If you are good with stuff like this you CAN do it yourself and get amazing results. It takes a bit of time but all doable yourself - you'll get that personal satisfaction of a job well done and save some $$.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:06 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

In the old car market they use the term "looks good at 10 or 5 feet" With a new car I use 1 ft as the parameter. I think getting rid of the orange peel and all that special treatment is if you want it looking good at 4 inches. (A little tongue in cheek)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:14 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Porsche paint orange peel

My clean, 44k mile 997.2 C4S Cabriolet was wet-sanded and the paint was polished smooth some time ago. It is being repainted as part of its restoration/ updating/ modifcation project. It's a high-end paint job.

The new finish will have light OEM orange peel that replicates the factory finish.

Originally Posted by Autobacs
I was watching this AMMO You Tube and right at about 14:45 of this video below he talks about Porsche intentionally paints with the intention of putting some orange peel on the final paint job to help in blending scratches that will inevitably occur. He said polishing to a smooth finish may later show scratches more. This makes me not want to polish to a complete smooth finish. Never really occurred to me. I just assumed that I'd eventually get the paint buffed to a smooth finish but now I'm having my doubts. Interested in whether you guys have thought about this and whether this impacted your decision to get paint correction particularly right when you picked up the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6isLvfvYFQ
Old 05-12-2023, 10:44 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

I'd leave Aston off that exclusive list. Their "60 hours of hand paint finish" is more like 60 hours of your cat running around tangled in a HVLP sprayer. My buddy owns a shop that does all the paint work for Star Aston Martin in Houston. The quality of Aston finishes range from decent to abysmal. Runs, peel, overspray, contaminants.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:36 AM
kaylie
Racer

Received 244 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I'd leave Aston off that exclusive list. Their "60 hours of hand paint finish" is more like 60 hours of your cat running around tangled in a HVLP sprayer. My buddy owns a shop that does all the paint work for Star Aston Martin in Houston. The quality of Aston finishes range from decent to abysmal. Runs, peel, overspray, contaminants.
Ferrari worse
Old 05-13-2023, 01:44 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
My Aston Martin Vantage had the most gorgeous paint job I have ever seen come out of a factory-produced car. None of my Porsches I have owned in the past or even currently even come close. Here was just a parking lot photo, uncorrected.

The following users liked this post:
eclou (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 02:45 AM
svkarl
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 85 Posts

That is a gorgeous car and, you’re right the paint looks killer!
Old 05-13-2023, 04:56 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

My Aston Martin Vantage had the most gorgeous paint job I have ever seen come out of a factory-produced car. None of my Porsches I have owned in the past or even currently even come close. Here was just a parking lot photo, uncorrected.

Looks great! I had a 2007 V8 Vantage on order until I saw a batch that came in with not enough resin on the composite rear lids. You could see the weave in the mesh and my friends shop was tasked with completely refinishing the lids prior to customer delivery and undisclosed. He told me the paint depth on Aston panels on new cars would be inconsistent and all over the map. I cancelled my order
Old 05-13-2023, 05:06 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Correct. A completely flat finish looks amazing on a museum piece but for cars that see all kinds of conditions and get washed often, manufacturers leave a small amount of orange peel to diminish the appearance of spider webbing.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:29 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

I don't know about automotive paint so this topic is new to me. Just today at a car show the original owner of a 1968 mustang had a placard on his car that mentioned factory finish with orange peel. Apparently has repainted it once on original color with orange peel per manufacturer spec. So it's been a thing for a long time.

Quick Reply: Factory Paint - Orange Peel on Purpose?