Sponsored by:

Break In Period is Killing Me

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 08:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
And if I’m not mistaken, the German version of the owner’s manual doesn’t list this extensive break-in period.
No longer true. They are the same for the main message. Slight nuances for the translation. Several years ago the differences were notable. Started with the 991 and continued on with the 992.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Il CP
Just drive the damn thing. I have never had an issue with any car and I drive them normally right off the bat.
This is exactly what I have done over decades with more new vehicles than I can really remember at this point and never had a problem.
Who knows anyone who drove a new car of any kind in a spirited fashion from day one ignoring all these fear cultivating warnings and had a problem?
Old 02-25-2022, 01:43 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by centaur
This is exactly what I have done over decades with more new vehicles than I can really remember at this point and never had a problem.
Who knows anyone who drove a new car of any kind in a spirited fashion from day one ignoring all these fear cultivating warnings and had a problem?
Indeed. That said, I do like to give cars I buy like the GT4 or Touring about 200 km to make sure my clutch is bedded. But clutches in such a car can be sensitive to break-in.

Just as a general thing, let me put it this way. While this is nor Porsche, same applies. I was at Corso Pilota and was handed a Pista with 78 km on it. Porsche are not better, so why care when they don't,
Old 06-06-2022, 09:50 PM
PPP
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for this! Finally we have the facts
Old 06-07-2022, 12:51 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche757
As painful as the 2,000 mile break-in is, I am following it based on the article below. I intend on keeping my car forever, so at least I can rest easy knowing I followed their guidance.

• Porsche Engine Break-In
I was on a recent Porsche factory tour and was watching an engine being built and dyno tested. Each engine is built by a single person on a moving production line. Porsche feels that they can obtain better quality control with one person building an individual engine from start to finish. In addition, each engine builder can assemble every type of production engine that Porsche produces and every gasoline engine is still built at the Stuttgart factory. It takes 2-3 ½ hours to assemble each engine, depending on the type. Afterwards, the completed engines are either used in the cars produced at the Zuffenhausen factory or are boxed up and shipped to Leipzig (for the Cayenne and Panamera) or off to Finland (for the Boxster and Cayman).

New Engine Break-in Conundrum

By: Ken Koop-The Yellowstone Region (Old Faithful Newsletter)Since I was a young boy, I have always wondered why it takes so long to break-in a new engine–especially those built by Porsche. Most people driving new cars also do not fully understand the real reason for the break-in period. Are you one of them? A good friend of mine just picked up his brand new 911 Turbo and complained about the break-in period taking so long (2,000 miles, not exceeding 4,000 RPM). We have talked about this issue many times over the past few years, always coming up with many scenarios of why such a long break-in period is required. However, we have never agreed on a reasonable answer. Well, you are about to find out the reason Porsche requires the break-in period it has today. The answer comes directly from the engineers at Porsche.

Before all of the parts are assembled for a particular engine; the pistons, connecting rods and valves are individually weighed and grouped together using similar weights to optimize performance. They are put onto a cart that moves along the assembly line with each engine block. This cart contains every part required to assemble that particular engine which includes each washer, nut, bolt, bearing etc… As a result, if any part is left in the cart at the end of the assembly line, then—Houston, we have a problem!At the end of the assembly line, the engine is filled with Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. Each engine is then dry run (without fuel), pressure tested and checked for leaks. Every car coming off the production line is also run on a rolling road dyno. This enables all cars and engines to be tested at highway speed before they leave the factory. Some of the engines are also randomly selected to be tested on a dyno stand before they are installed into the car. The assembly plant has 5 dyno rooms located directly off the production line. The day I was on the tour, there were around 40 engines lined up on dollies. Some of these engines were in the process of being tested for quality control purposes. Once the engine is bolted onto the dyno, warm water is circulated throughout the engine to bring it up to temperature. The operator then starts the engine and checks for the correct pressures and temperature before the actual test begins. Engine speed is then increased in RPM steps to about 80% of its red line (the engine’s maximum RPM). The entire engine run takes around 30 minutes. Since each engine type (Turbo, GT3, Boxster or Carrera…) has a different red line, all of the data is recorded and analyzed after the test is completed.After the engine is turned off, the engine is again checked for seal leaks and its actual HP is compared to its advertised HP. To pass final inspection, the engine has to develop, at a minimum, 100% of what its advertised HP rating is. Also, the engine cannot produce more than 5% over that same advertised rating. If the engine falls out of those parameters, the engine is rejected and then torn down to determine why it did not deliver the anticipated HP.

When the test was completed, a Porsche engineer came over to review the results. I couldn’t resist asking the question that I had been searching to find an answer to for all these years. I asked “why does Porsche feel it is safe for a new engine to run at nearly full throttle in the factory, while the customer must keep the engine speed to no more than 4,000 RPM for a 2,000 mile break-in period?” I thought that was a logical question and if I do say so myself-well stated! The engineer replied, “Herr Koop, you do not understand (that I already knew). When we do our engine test, the metals inside the engine never reach the temperatures they would when driven on the street since the test session is fairly short. In other words, the bearings, pistons and cylinders never get a chance to thermally expand to their maximum. Therefore, there is little wear on the moving components. But when you drive a car on the street, the engine parts expand considerably more because of the heat being generated from the engine running for an extended period of time. No matter how tight the tolerances are, there is always a slight amount of expansion in the material. The moving parts can wear quickly if exposed to excessive heat and not always in a uniform way. We also constantly vary the speed and allow the engine to run at both high and low RPM’s”.

“Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust (wear-in) within their own thermal expansion parameters. This is also the reason why Porsche wants the owner to vary the RPM throughout the break-in period; therefore the engine doesn’t get use to one operating temperature range”.

“Porsche has been using Mobil 1 Oil since the early 90’s. With its superior lubricating properties, it takes many miles of driving (without getting the engine too hot) before the components actually seat (or break-in). Porsche’s own tests reveal that after 2,000 miles have been driven, all of the moving parts have had a chance to wear into their adjacent surfaces and then an increase in engine RPM is permissible.” I replied, “JA DAS SOUNDS GUT, when you explain it that way, it makes a lot of sense.” I thought to myself “You Dummkopf, why didn’t you think of that”.

The engineer commented that there were many other moving parts other than the engine that needed break-in as well. Wheel bearings, constant velocity joints, tires, brakes and transmission were just some of the other components that were mentioned.

So breaking it down into layman’s terminology, it all comes down to; higher RPM equates to more heat, which leads to greater expansion. For a new engine, that can mean uneven wear on certain parts if excessive heat is allowed to build up. In Porsche’s opinion, the thermal expansion of different parts and various materials need time to adjust to one another. Porsche’s time frame for that to occur is calculated to be 2,000 miles, with the heat restriction being 4,000 RPM. So simple; who woulda thunk.

Many experienced Porsche engine builders and experts on the Flat-6 engine state that the peak power of a Porsche engine is developed around the 20,000 mile mark. This coincides with the principle of what the Porsche engineer was telling me; “Break it in correctly and the engine will last longer and perform better”.

It only took me 45 years to find out the real answer to this puzzling question. After I returned home, I explained this to my friend. As for our ongoing debate, we now feel a solution to this riddle has finally been reached. Neither one of us had the answer to this complex question totally figured out, but we were on the right path! I am finally able to resolve another one of my life’s unanswered mysteries and now it’s been crossed off the list. I hope this helps explain one of your unanswered questions in the car world as well.
Great reference, thank you. I don’t know what is so hard to understand about this. All the other opinions are just anecdotal or theoretical. I suppose it’s the same logic that led to ivermectin being considered a good treatment for Covid19.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBAD:
jjaisli (06-07-2022), Sporty (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 02:32 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by SBAD
Great reference, thank you. I don’t know what is so hard to understand about this. All the other opinions are just anecdotal or theoretical. I suppose it’s the same logic that led to ivermectin being considered a good treatment for Covid19.
This is also anecdotal. Some random dude dropping this dissertation like Plato's republic doesn't make it real.
The following users liked this post:
rk-d (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 02:59 PM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I broke in a fully built motor in my Subaru STI in two days, no highways. I drove it up and down the length of the Delaware River from New Hope, PA to Port Jervis. I literally did it like laps. After the first day, we did an oil change at 500 miles and I continued. Proper aggressive break-in.

1000 miles in six weeks? 24 miles per day? You can do better than that in Arizona.
Heck, I did 900 miles in a single day in my 992C4S. (That was after break-in) It was not unusual for me to 200+ miles on a weekend day just adventuring.

Drive your car. Vary throttle and engine load. Have fun with it. Make a game out of it if you need to.
"900 miles in a single day in my 992C4S"

!!!!!!

That's got to be at least twelve hours of driving. I've never done that in any vehicle, nor have I wanted to.
I've done several trips across the US in various vehicles and at my chosen pace it usually takes at least six days.

Getting to OP's question, I say just drive it. I don't know where you can really open up these cars anyway at least without attracting too much attention. (Ours is Guards Red).
We've got just about 2,600 miles and I don't think I've seen redline yet.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:18 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 706 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
This is also anecdotal. Some random dude dropping this dissertation like Plato's republic doesn't make it real.
Well, at some point, we have to believe or agree there is a source base of knowledge that can be respected or trusted. Otherwise, there will never be an answer. Just sayin’
Staffie Guy (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Why would the GT3 break-in be 900 miles @7,000 RPM if it had to do with heat related slow break in? Do turbos generate that much more combustion temps to justify double the break in period at 60% of the rpm’s? I believe the oil/water temps are around the same on the two when warm.
Old 04-10-2023, 10:25 PM
blk_c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Break ins are bogus.

My PECATL car had 750 miles on it. We launched it 7-8 times.
If break ins were that critical I’d imagine the factory sanctioned experience center would abide by the rules set forth.
The following 2 users liked this post by blk_c2s:
Cartod (08-06-2023), dixonk (04-11-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:16 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by blk_c2s
Break ins are bogus.

My PECATL car had 750 miles on it. We launched it 7-8 times.
If break ins were that critical I’d imagine the factory sanctioned experience center would abide by the rules set forth.
Just because they don't or others don't doesn't make it the best approach. It only makes it what they did. As you mentioned, your thoughts are just that; your imagination which is fair. Everybody will do what they believe is the right thing but for me, following the manual I received has less potential downside than not following it. Also, to me, there is a psychological satisfaction knowing my engine was run-in the way the creators specified in print.

FWIW, nobody is having their mind changed on this subject here.
incoming992s (04-13-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 11:29 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
I believe it's 3000KM/1875Miles. Some paragraphs in the manual or online manual round up to 2000 miles

Correct ... One of the prior posters had a copy of the Manual page it's 2000 mi or 3000km

BTW I also had a BMW N63 M550 and I broke it in gently and it never consumed oil.... one or two samples are not statistics.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:44 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Quote: Vicbastige

FWIW, nobody is having their mind changed on this subject here.

So true.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
doug_999 (04-11-2023), Quikag (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S
Just pasted 1,000 miles in my first 6 weeks of ownership (was on a trip for 10 days) and following the break in rules until 2,000 miles is frustrating me to no end. Not trying to create another break in thread 😁.

Well done for following prussian-precision instructions.
They are there for a reason, even though many people chose to ignore it when driving flat out on their private roads ;-)
Old 04-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 738 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by centaur
A comment on this line of thinking: Often the argument for or against break-in takes some form of your point. That is, "does anybody know of cases where a non break-in unit had an issue". The reality is that both sides of the coin will have cases where they have had an issue. As a person previously involved with science, the only way to answer this debate is with a large "n" prospective study that will likely never happened. The other outcome to consider is that some of the potential benefit of proper break-in may not be easily observable (i.e a small percentage gain/retention of HP, slightly less oil burn than what it would have been w/o break-in etc.).

One thing for sure, the topic always brings spirited debate.

Quick Reply: Break In Period is Killing Me