Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS -- Maybe it really is the sweet spot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 12:21 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 158 Posts
Default GTS -- Maybe it really is the sweet spot?

So journalist cliche's aside, I'm starting to wonder if the GTS really is the "sweet spot."

Obviously, different buyers will have different needs. But here is what's interesting about the GTS. It sort of combines everything I (and I suspect many others) want into a single car (less garage space, less crap to maintain, etc.).
-- Available with Manual Transmission -- I miss the MT on the TTS more than I expected, though ACC is amazing for communiting.
-- Available with Backseat (for those, like myself who need it) or Carbon Buckets (for those who don't). The lack of backseats in the GT3T was a huge let-down.
-- Suspension borrowed from Turbo (with helper springs) -- the TTS suspension is much better than the C4S (both softer when cruising and firmer when pushing it), some of this could be PDCC, but I thnk some of it is the helper springs.
-- Brakes borrowed from Turbo (unlear if these are necessary, as the C4S brakes for fine for street and I never got to track the car)
-- Reduced sound deadening and improved exhaust note -- Should add a nice raw edge which is lacking in the non-GT cars
-- Available Aerokit (if you want racer boy looks, plus it's functional) or in the more svelte wingless/side-scoop-less form -- I think I'd do the Aerokit. I kind of worry about feeling like a GT3 poser, but my son loves the wing, and making him happy matters more to me than random people's judgements (as most of the haters can't afford any 992 anyhow)
-- Some unique interior and exterior elements (centerlocks and Race Tex) for those who like them. I'm on the fence with both, but I think I'd keep these signature elements.
-- Something usable as a DD. By most accounts I've read, the 992 GT3 is just too much car. I don't think my wife would enjoy riding in it, and I don't track more than 3-5x year, so hard to justify owning such a high value dedicated track car.
-- Yes, the car obviously lacks the NA flat-six, but on the flipside, the 3.0 engine has a more usable power band on the street, and I've heard from a friend with a 991.1 GT3, the 992 C4S feels faster around town.

I had a 2021 C4S which I recently traded for a 2022 Turbo S Coupe. The Turbo has been the car of my dreams since I was a kid and is absolutely extraordinary, but it's not as complete of a package as I hoped. The acceleration is absolutely astonishing, but it's a big/heavy car, and it's not as raw/edgy as I hoped. The C4S felt nimbler, more engaging with the MT, and I think I prefer the more NA-like progressive power band than the acceleration sling-shot you get with the Turbo. But it lacked a little specialness. I didn't love my C4S spec. Meanwhile, I've been "next on the list" for a winged GT3 for nearly a year, and the only thing that's changed is the ADM ask has climbed from $35K initially to $100K, at which point I've officially lost interest.

I don't love the idea of daily-driving a $250K Turbo, and can't justify tracking a $300K+ GT3.

Soo... I'm thinking about trading my TTS in for a 4GTS Coupe and putting the marginal $75K toward a Macan GTS for times when I don't want do deal with the MT and can't borrow my wife's X3. Am I nuts? I think the thing about the TTS which I'd miss the most is that king of the road feeling. I worry a little about feeling like a "poser" in a Carmine Red Aerokit 4GTS, but on the flipside... the factory aerokit 993 4S cars carry a significant premium, and it would make my son happy. Alternitively, I was thinking I could trade for a lower-spec 992 Turbo (non-S, I really don't think the S is necessary) in Carmine Red and try to find a decent air-cooled car for my "fun" fix (leaning toward a 964 Targa or NB 993).
Old 02-22-2022, 12:26 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I think we need another GTS thread. 😳
Old 02-22-2022, 12:46 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Grass is always greener.

Ironically, I personally find the TTS to be more edgy and engaging than the C2S I was replacing. The steering and handling is superior in my opinion and the added power makes it feel more nimble (to me).

The TTS chassis is more than just helper springs, which really only keep the mainspring under tension when the suspension unloaded.

Not sure about the sound - but the TTS engine note/exhaust definitely sounds better than the 3.0

IMO, I think the GTS would be a downgrade from the TTS. Unless you really really miss having a manual transmission, I wouldn't do it.
The following 4 users liked this post by rk-d:
dashanin (02-23-2022), lucycan (02-23-2022), rouxeny (02-22-2022), wintershade (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 12:51 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Old 02-22-2022, 01:07 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

I think you change cars more often than I change my mind when ordering at a restaurant. I'd say drive the TTS for a while longer since it has been your dream car since childhood... and why not daily drive it? Who cares how much it costs? Enjoying the fruits of your labor is a huge part of life. If you must change, perhaps switch to something outside the Porsche umbrella? I think the upcoming Lotus Emira in manual would feel very special for a person looking for a lightweight, manual sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Denny Swift (03-03-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:11 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

@rk-d You're probably right... You have the ideal setup. 992 Turbo S and well-sorted 993 Carrera for the MT and "raw" fun factor. There is no single perfect car as much as I'd like there to be. Maybe I just need some patience (shopping for 993's right now is painful), and a little luck getting another MSRP Turbo allocation.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:13 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think you change cars more often than I change my mind when ordering at a restaurant. I'd say drive the TTS for a while longer since it has been your dream car since childhood... and why not daily drive it? Who cares how much it costs? Enjoying the fruits of your labor is a huge part of life. If you must change, perhaps switch to something outside the Porsche umbrella? I think the upcoming Lotus Emira in manual would feel very special for a person looking for a lightweight, manual sports car.
Yeah, my wife said I don't need another new 911. I need a new psychiatrist.
The following 5 users liked this post by wintershade:
Denny Swift (03-03-2022), icanthelpit (03-04-2022), lucycan (02-23-2022), russbert (02-22-2022), unclemat (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
@rk-d You're probably right... You have the ideal setup. 992 Turbo S and well-sorted 993 Carrera for the MT and "raw" fun factor. There is no single perfect car as much as I'd like there to be. Maybe I just need some patience (shopping for 993's right now is painful), and a little luck getting another MSRP Turbo allocation.
It’s really hard to find that one car holy grail.

Have you owned an older car before? I love my 993, but they are so expensive now and the money it takes to get them dialed in and kept that way can be significant. Not to mention that you need to find a quality air cooled shop you can trust (assuming you aren’t very handy and can do it yourself - I can’t). If you’re up for all that - those old Porsche are special in a way no modern car can match.

You could think outside the box — keep the TTS and add on a GT4RS? That would be a kick *** combination. A regular GT4 would be great as well.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:16 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
How about a tuned 4GTS w/ manual transmission? You'd get close to 992 Turbo performance but with a manual transmission. That would be pretty sweet IMO and a manual GTS would feel more raw than a turbo. To go from a 992 Turbo S to a 992 Turbo? That's insanity right there.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:27 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I concur.
Denny Swift (03-03-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:31 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
It’s really hard to find that one car holy grail.

Have you owned an older car before? I love my 993, but they are so expensive now and the money it takes to get them dialed in and kept that way can be significant. Not to mention that you need to find a quality air cooled shop you can trust (assuming you aren’t very handy and can do it yourself - I can’t). If you’re up for all that - those old Porsche are special in a way no modern car can match.

You could think outside the box — keep the TTS and add on a GT4RS? That would be a kick *** combination. A regular GT4 would be great as well.
Yeah, I feel you on the 4RS and TTS combo. I had a line on a 4RS at $75K ADM, but chickened out. 50% over MSRP feels like a lot. Though that does look to be a very special car which will be super raw. Other problem is I'd be "all in" on the PDK wagon also. Going to wait to see where ADMs go there. But you're right, maybe a regular GT4.

I've never owned an "old" Porsche. I'm pretty handy though, and miss working on my cars. Before I had kids, I was more of a BMW guy, built my own track car with an E36 M3 donor. Did everything myself except the roll cage. Took some welding classes hoping to try... but my wife talked me out of it. A good decision in retrospect. But I definitely enjoy working on cars just as much as driving them, maybe more.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:18 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Maybe it is the sweet spot - but maybe not for you. You won't know until you live with it.

The TTS is very good - almost too good. I miss having a MT and NA engine. Ideally I would keep both the TTS and the incoming Touring (which I was lucky enough to get at MSRP) but is a lot for me to have tied up in two cars since neither one is a daily driver for me. I had a 993TT and that car was great- it made all the right noises, felt completely solid and still had some rawness to it. I won't buy one now, though. As rk-d mentioned, there are compromises and/or costs involved.

For a tourer that could do everything well I would keep the TTS
For a pure sports car one of the GT cars (GT4, Spyder, GT3) would be it
For a two car solution I may be thinking M5 (owned the F90 M5 and it was comfortable and tremendously fast) and a GT car for the road carving needs

For a sweet spot car if you didn't want to have so much tied up in the TTS - the GTS seems like a good solution. You could do a set of turbos and tune and would get close to the performance of the TTS. How much do you value the warranty, though?
Old 02-22-2022, 04:23 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

I’d say it’s not poor but not rich spot.

Something for HENRYs.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:28 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

..it might be the “sweet spot” , until the next round of revisions, and then it isn’t. It’s an endless game. Be happy with what you got.
Dr. G (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:52 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

The sweet spot maybe somewhere between the T and the TT, like a C2S MT.

Quick Reply: GTS -- Maybe it really is the sweet spot?