Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS -- Maybe it really is the sweet spot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 04:56 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
The sweet spot maybe somewhere between the T and the TT, like a C2S MT.
You spelled ST wrong... https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...pecials-coming
Old 02-22-2022, 05:10 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
I’d say it’s not poor but not rich spot.

Something for HENRYs.
Oh, can’t buy the GTS then. Wouldn’t want someone thinking I’m a HENRY. I thought that’s what Caymans and Boxsters were for?

Since Massachusetts and my spouse both denied my “BIG TTS” vanity plate request, maybe I should just keep the Turbo S and try “PYDCASH”
Old 02-22-2022, 05:18 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Yeah, this is the actual sweet spot. I doubt I’d be able to get one, at any ADM. I need a few more years of trading my Porsches back in every 6 months.
Old 02-22-2022, 05:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I think you change cars more often than I change my mind when ordering at a restaurant. I'd say drive the TTS for a while longer since it has been your dream car since childhood... and why not daily drive it? Who cares how much it costs? Enjoying the fruits of your labor is a huge part of life. If you must change, perhaps switch to something outside the Porsche umbrella? I think the upcoming Lotus Emira in manual would feel very special for a person looking for a lightweight, manual sports car.
The Lotus Emira would be my choice for an edgy manual that would be fun to toss around on weekends and not too overly concerned with keeping it pristine because comparably speaking not all that expensive.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:13 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

So I thought about this more... I spent most of the weekend and nights this week watching GTS and TTS review videos. And after the 10th one, something dawned on me... just listen to the voices of the reviewers when the speak about the GTS. It's like they're saying: "I went in with kind of low expections, cause it's not as raw as a GT3 or as wicked fast as the TTS, and you know what... it's a pretty damn good car that will be the sweet spot for a lot of people." And then you watch the TTS reviews and it's like "Holy **** this thing is just unbelievable if you want a livable DD-able 911. Dr. Jackle. Mr Hyde. Wow."

So that made it clear... okay, Turbo S it is. But I couldn't shake the wish I had ordered in Carmine Red or PTS Fire Red. So worked out a deal with my GM to pre-trade my TTS at MSRP for another TTS at MSRP (or a GTS if I changed my mind). And then I said, okay, I might not be quite done with break-in yet, but let's go flog this and make sure the TTS is the keeper. HOLY F**K! When you take the kid gloves off the TTS is a MIGHTY ANIMAL. @Dr. G and @rk-d are right. What a machine! If this is the last ICE Turbo, the 992 TTS is going to be legendary. Sort of like, in 15-20 years when I trust my son is responsible I'll hand him the keys and say... go give it the beans son. This is as good as the turbocharged internal combustion engine got.

Now I just need to decide if I want to keep the Chalk, or roll the dice for another TTS -- either in Carmine or PTS Fire Red. With the levels of global uncertainty, I'm not inclined to do the pre-trade, less I find myself without a car for who knows how long and/or screwed by my GM when they change the terms of the deal. My wife (who hates chalk) says, keep chalk. It's trendy but also does sort of feel like it could be a desirable/classic color some day. I'll probabably end up trading it at some point and likely getting screwed out of $10-15K because that's the state of the market, and learn a lesson about going with your gut.

Gotta scratch the MT itch somehow. I'm leaning toward selling a couple watches while the money is good and picking up a Spyder and/or a classic... something super old and raw like a long-hood hotrod. Going to go visit Sloan Motorcars and drive a few and see what tickles my fancy.

But beware all, once you go Turbo, you never go back. It kind of ruins you frankly.

Last edited by wintershade; 03-03-2022 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
So I thought about this more... I spent most of the weekend and nights this week watching GTS and TTS review videos. And after the 10th one, something dawned on me... just listen to the voices of the reviewers when the speak about the GTS. It's like they're saying: "I went in with kind of low expections, cause it's not as raw as a GT3 or as wicked fast as the TTS, and you know what... it's a pretty damn good car that will be the sweet spot for a lot of people." And then you watch the TTS reviews and it's like "Holy **** this thing is just unbelievable if you want a livable DD-able 911. Dr. Jackle. Mr Hyde. Wow."

So that made it clear... okay, Turbo S it is. But I couldn't shake the wish I had ordered in Carmine Red or PTS Fire Red. So worked out a deal with my GM to pre-trade my TTS at MSRP for another TTS at MSRP (or a GTS if I changed my mind). And then I said, okay, I might not be quite done with break-in yet, but let's go flog this and make sure the TTS is the keeper. HOLY F**K! When you take the kid gloves off the TTS is a MIGHTY ANIMAL. @Dr. G and @rk-d are right. What a machine! If this is the last ICE Turbo, the 992 TTS is going to be legendary. Sort of like, in 15-20 years when I trust my son is responsible I'll hand him the keys and say... go give it the beans son. This is as good as the turbocharged internal combustion engine got.

Now I just need to decide if I want to keep the Chalk, or roll the dice for another TTS -- either in Carmine or PTS Fire Red. With the levels of global uncertainty, I'm not inclined to do the pre-trade, less I find myself without a car for who knows how long and/or screwed by my GM when they change the terms of the deal. My wife (who hates chalk) says, keep chalk. It's trendy but also does sort of feel like it could be a desirable/classic color some day. I'll probabably end up trading it at some point and likely getting screwed out of $10-15K because that's the state of the market, and learn a lesson about going with your gut.

Gotta scratch the MT itch somehow. I'm leaning toward selling a couple watches while the money is good and picking up a Spyder and/or a classic... something super old and raw like a long-hood hotrod. Going to go visit Sloan Motorcars and drive a few and see what tickles my fancy.

But beware all, once you go Turbo, you never go back. It kind of ruins you frankly.
To me, the perfect Porsche 2 car garage is the TTS and the GT3. I'm doing everything in my power to try to make it happen. Due to the current situation I can probably keep the TTS for another few months with some security.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:48 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah, this is the actual sweet spot. I doubt I’d be able to get one, at any ADM. I need a few more years of trading my Porsches back in every 6 months.
The ST is hardly a sweet spot car; it's a stripped down track focused build. "Sweet spot" by definition has to be the perfect compromise, not too cold, not too hot. Not to track, not too soft. GTS is it.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:54 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

To me, the perfect Porsche 2 car garage is the TTS and the GT3. I'm doing everything in my power to try to make it happen. Due to the current situation I can probably keep the TTS for another few months with some security.
100% agreed.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:58 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

My perfect two car garage has something big and beastly and something small and sporty. Something like a Wrangler "Hellcat" if that ever happens, plus the 911. There's nowhere I can even utilize the power of the GTS on public roads around me, so TTS is unnecessary; plus I want MT.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:14 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

And there is your solution: get the Spyder (or other option) in the red you want.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:17 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

For me, it’s a 3 car Porsche garage, and fortunately I have 4 spaces.
1) TTS to DD. The PDK with ACC is a dream when stuck in traffic. I am also very excited to track this car in the spring as I think it will be a riot.
2) GT3 or GT4 RS: For track and being obnoxious. And maximum rawness is a smaller lighter package. Waiting for ADMs to go down.
3) A classic. Leaning towards a late long hood hot rod or a Kaege 993 restomod. For taking the wife on dates, driving to office on Fridays, etc.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:28 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

The above being said, if I could only have one Porsche, it would be an MT C4GTS. So in that sense, I agree it’s the “sweet spot”
Old 03-03-2022, 05:39 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

If I could have only one it would be my 2018 GT3 that I sold over a year ago but I try to look in the rear view mirror. The GTS Cabrio will be a blast to enjoy with my 12 year old Son. But I do have a tear for this one

Old 03-03-2022, 06:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

Every variant of the 992 is perfect for someone.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
CanAutM3 (03-05-2022), Denny Swift (03-04-2022), icanthelpit (03-03-2022), P0RKY (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 08:30 PM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Every variant of the 992 is perfect for someone.
Yeah, that’s kind of the genius of the 911 platform (and why it’s so hard to choose just one).

Quick Reply: GTS -- Maybe it really is the sweet spot?