Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone regret choosing black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 03:39 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,331 Likes on 751 Posts

I love black wheels have had them on several cars. I am ordering new wheels for my TTS and am going to go with a dark translucent finish. Currently I have OEM wheels which I love but it’s time to change. But I still think black wheels are beautiful on the right color. Not gangster or old gangster at all.

Old 02-12-2022, 03:44 PM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I could be wrong, but on the Porsche config, do they even offer ALL black wheels as an option? Is that a special order?
Old 02-12-2022, 04:00 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,802 Likes on 975 Posts

I chose the gloss wheels for my Chalk build because I felt they contrasted well with the color (..especially with gloss black window trim, fully painted or painted/gloss black base side mirrors, etc.). I went back and forth between gloss black Carrera S wheels, RS Spyders and Carrera Classics. Seeing a Chalk/RS Spyder build in person immediately made it a no-go; the two grays fought for dominance and it just looked washed out to my eyes. I’m glad I was able to see the combo in person before my build locked. I use Iron Off to clean black wheels. It works amazing and takes care of 95% of the brake dust, etc. without ever touching the wheels.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 02-12-2022 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:07 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,378 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just for some context. I’m finalizing my choice between two builds on this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...wo-builds.html

White, black exterior pack, satin black wheels, black PCCB, black brushed aluminum interior trim, black interior, black stitching

OR

White, silver exterior pack, silver wheels, yellow PCCB, anthracite brushed aluminum interior trim, black interior, silver stitching

Second one is almost identical to my previous 992S.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:27 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,802 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by smiles11
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just for some context. I’m finalizing my choice between two builds on this thread.

White, black exterior pack, satin black wheels, black PCCB, black brushed aluminum interior trim, black interior, black stitching

OR

White, silver exterior pack, silver wheels, yellow PCCB, anthracite brushed aluminum interior trim, black interior, silver stitching

I like the first one. That said, there has to be one that your eye keeps going back to. That’s the one you should get.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:46 PM
lastsun
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

OR

I personally think silver or white wheels makes the car look classy but old. Black wheels make the car look fast and trendy. Go with black wheels because 992 is a sports car, not old luxury sedans or suvs. You wont see alot of black wheels on cheap cars!
Old 02-12-2022, 04:50 PM
lastsun
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I agree with this. On some colors, black wheels look great, while on others, IMO, not so much. For example, black on AG, IMO, is not a good look.
I saw an aventurine green with black wheels, clear tailights, and blacked out rear which looked beautiful! Check it out

Last edited by lastsun; 02-12-2022 at 04:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by lastsun:
dhirm5 (02-12-2022), M3Inline6 (02-12-2022), TheIrishMan (02-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 05:02 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,467 Likes on 2,814 Posts

OR

Definitely the second one.

Stormtrooper look is out, IMO (no offense)

Ironically, though, I'd get the black calipers.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:12 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 919 Likes on 484 Posts

How do you feel about black cars? Black wheels to me are similar. I am very **** about keeping the car clean and gloss black wheels were a nightmare. They look great clean but after every drive I was cleaning them. If you’re more tolerant then they may be fine for you.

plus if you wipe them down with a cloth and detail spray they will soon get all scratched up. Like someone else said, closer to brake dust color is better for me. I went with agate grey for that reason.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:28 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 207 Posts

Can’t really go wrong with either wheel, but something about silver window trim on a white car doesn’t fit my eye. I prefer the the look of first one.
The following 3 users liked this post by slwong23:
M3Inline6 (02-12-2022), SamD (02-13-2022), Yojeffo (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 05:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,550 Likes on 5,070 Posts

I like this one.

A classy automotive noir theme

The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 05:30 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rk-d
Definitely the second one.

Stormtrooper look is out, IMO (no offense)

Ironically, though, I'd get the black calipers.
None taken. My thought process was that yellow PCCB would stand out too much with satin black wheels. Figured the center lock is satin black as well which gives the wheel a uniform finish. I also like the all black interior although I had contrast stitching on my last car. That leads me back to build 2. Feels like I’m spinning my wheels haha

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
How do you feel about black cars? Black wheels to me are similar. I am very **** about keeping the car clean and gloss black wheels were a nightmare. They look great clean but after every drive I was cleaning them. If you’re more tolerant then they may be fine for you.

plus if you wipe them down with a cloth and detail spray they will soon get all scratched up. Like someone else said, closer to brake dust color is better for me. I went with agate grey for that reason.
These wheels are satin black. I would never consider gloss for the reasons you just mentioned. I think the satin black center lock wheels on GT cars & even the GTS look really good. Silver wheels have the satin black center lock that stands out.

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
I like the first one. That said, there has to be one that your eye keeps going back to. That’s the one you should get.
I’m literally 50/50 on both builds. I wish my car would just lock already haha

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I like this one.

A classy automotive noir theme
I like it too. I normally let the entire car build upon itself starting with the interior. So I felt like having bucket seats & black brushed aluminum tie-in really well with the black exterior bits. The 992 GT3 looks extra aggressive too compared to the 991.2. That said, my C2S had sofas obviously & bright brushed aluminum trim. So it felt like a natural fit with silver wheels & silver exterior trim. The GT3 literally has zero brightwork in the interior. Only way to accomplish that is by bringing some silver into the interior with stitching; but even then, it doesn’t seem to compliment it like my C2S did.

Originally Posted by slwong23
Can’t really go wrong with either wheel, but something about silver window trim on a white car doesn’t fit my eye. I prefer the the look of first one.
Literally the one thing that makes building a GT3 touring with silver wheels & exterior trim hard to do... It forces you to add silver window trim. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited by smiles11; 02-12-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

To each their own, but white + silver wheels in this case looks really good. Even on the configurator, it's already up there with one of my favorite 991 911Rs, in white with no stripes and silver wheels, and one of the better looking GT3 Tourings here in the Bay Area. Subtle, understated, but looks very "right." Suspect it will be even better in person. With that said, agree black wheels still look great on some applications.
The following users liked this post:
smiles11 (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 05:49 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
To each their own, but white + silver wheels in this case looks really good. Even on the configurator, it's already up there with one of my favorite 991 911Rs, in white with no stripes and silver wheels, and one of the better looking GT3 Tourings here in the Bay Area. Subtle, understated, but looks very "right." Suspect it will be even better in person. With that said, agree black wheels still look great on some applications.
Thanks Pete. I really appreciate it. I hold your opinion in very high regard. I also took inspiration from the 911R with my last 992.

Old 02-12-2022, 05:55 PM
TRIPLEBLK1
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 88 Posts

2nd one!

Quick Reply: Anyone regret choosing black wheels?