Sponsored by:

Order lead times?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 09:38 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by ron4sc
I gave a deposit to join the waiting list two weeks ago for a Carerra 4S with European Delivery. The dealer claimed, and I rolled my eyes, that I would receive my 911 4S by the end of this year. They said I was second on the waitlist for a 4S. Other dealers and this board are quoting 12 months or longer. I am trying to decide if the salesperson who has only been there three months is ill-informed or is raising concerns about whether I should be working with this dealership. I'm not in a rush so I can wait to enjoy the car next year so there wasn't a reason to state something that seems unsupported by facts.

And like the OP, this purchase was wife-approved!
If you are really second on the waitlist, and the dealership is not very low volume I wouldn't doubt that prediction.
The following users liked this post:
ron4sc (02-08-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 09:24 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Comes down to dealer allocations. Contact a couple dealers nearby and ask them about what allocations they have.
I went by the closest dealer today, and they said that they have no unused allocations for a Carrera S, and they are not taking deposits to hold waiting list spots - nothing. They guy took my info and said he'd call....not sure I believe him.

I guess I just need to start calling around to the the ones a bit further away.

Last edited by FullThrottle64; 02-10-2022 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:33 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Would they not even create a demand order with Porsche so that they know there’s a customer request? That’s what I did in July 2021 for my GTS. The dealer wanted a $5k deposit but I said $1k and they said that’s fine.

I received my allocation 11/4/21, but I was the only person on the GTS list at the time.
FullThrottle64 (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 11:51 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Would they not even create a demand order with Porsche so that they know there’s a customer request? That’s what I did in July 2021 for my GTS. The dealer wanted a $5k deposit but I said $1k and they said that’s fine.
No, they would not - and I'm not sure why. He said specifically that they were not taking any down payments or hold cash, and said something rather unclear about not making a commitment for something they didn't know that they could deliver. I'm going to try another couple of dealers and see if I get a different response.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:46 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
No, they would not - and I'm not sure why. He said specifically that they were not taking any down payments or hold cash, and said something rather unclear about not making a commitment for something they didn't know that they could deliver. I'm going to try another couple of dealers and see if I get a different response.
That's pretty honest actually.
If he has no allocation ...he does not want to hold cash.
Although it is true...he can put him on waiting list and ask for a deposit once he gets an allocation.
The following 2 users liked this post by porscheprestige:
FullThrottle64 (02-12-2022), SBAD (02-12-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 05:53 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Given that there is no way to audition one in person, I just cannot trust that it's going to be acceptable. I can't audition the Burmester, either, but I have to believe that it at least gets into the acceptable range.
Why not? Used cars on the lot aren’t abundant but they do exist. Both Porsche dealers near me have several 992s available. I haven’t found a coupe with the Burmester to audition yet, but the Bose does sound acceptable for a 6-figure car. Audio matters a lot to me as well though, so as many have before me, I’ve specced the Burmester to fend off the FOMO.

Just ask your SA to keep you posted if any used models crop up so you can give them a test listen.
manifold danger (02-11-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 09:54 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by zachr
Why not? Used cars on the lot aren’t abundant but they do exist. Both Porsche dealers near me have several 992s available. I haven’t found a coupe with the Burmester to audition yet, but the Bose does sound acceptable for a 6-figure car. Audio matters a lot to me as well though, so as many have before me, I’ve specced the Burmester to fend off the FOMO.
Yeah - I tried a different dealership today, and they had two on the lot with Burmester. Neither was a 911, but they had it in a Macan and a 718. The sound in the 718 made it VERY clear to me that the Burm is a different animal from the Bose or base system. I'm sold.

I also got to a SA who was willing to show me his allocation screen. It's going to a be a reasonably long wait for this shop. They already have two people waiting for allocations for a C2S, but they'll put a couple more buyers in line with a small deposit. My only real beef with this dealership is ADM. To be fair, the amount they're talking about is not a tremendous difference, but enough to be annoying. These dealerships have to know that doing this (ADM) is going to leave a bad impression; once supply gets back to a more normal situation, people will remember and push back hard.

I have a couple more dealerships nearby to go talk to, so we'll see what they come up with.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:04 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 745 Likes on 333 Posts

Personally, I would put absolutely zero stock in how the burm or bose sound in other cars. Identical systems can sound very different in cars of different cabin shapes — my ‘18 S5 Sportback sounds quite different from the coupe. Then there’s the fact that they will actually be different systems, probably with different speakers, different numbers of speakers, different power delivery… I have no interest in listening to the burm in another car.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:43 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by zachr
Personally, I would put absolutely zero stock in how the burm or bose sound in other cars. Identical systems can sound very different in cars of different cabin shapes — my ‘18 S5 Sportback sounds quite different from the coupe. Then there’s the fact that they will actually be different systems, probably with different speakers, different numbers of speakers, different power delivery… I have no interest in listening to the burm in another car.
All true. That said, the Burm I heard in the 718 sounded better than anything Bose I've ever heard in any situation, so it's a reasonably good indicator that a whole lot more design effort was put in to make it sound correct.

The Bose approach to sound has always been (all the way back to the 901 design) to take a bunch of cheap drivers and try to use active EQ to make them sound better. This can only do so much to mask the limitations of the drivers themselves. This is why they end up with a ton of aliasing in the low bass and gaps in the upper- and mid-bass region. You'll find that if you go into a Bose showroom, they never let you select your own music to audition their speakers; that's because anyone with a good ear will notice that there will be notes missing and extra harmonics that weren't in the original recording.

Here's the response plot of a similar Bose system in a Miata:

[https://pacomotorsports.com/nd_bose_mods/]
Note the drop in response from 120 Hz to 240 Hz - more than 25 dB off. That's objectively bad, and there is no excuse to be made for it. Similarly, the ridiculous under-damped 20 dB bump at 45 Hz will make the bass sound loud, but not good. Every note coming from a kick drum or bass is going to ring at 45 Hz, no matter what the frequency was of the original sound. Now, between that 45 Hz bump and the 240 hZ dip, there's more than 40 dB difference. 40 dB indicates ~16 times as loud between those portions on the sound, and that just simply is terrible.

This is typical Bose performance, and exactly what I have heard in every Bose car system I've ever heard, including the C2S in my avatar. Note in the link that a few quick driver changes completely changed the character of those [anti-]resonant points, most notably the use of a properly damped subwoofer.

Now, here's a chart of Bose in a Macan:

Note the exact same profile, just shifted downwards somewhat in frequency. Again, an under-damped subwoofer and a big gap in the upper bass crossover region - typical Bose approach.

So, yes, the Burm in the 718 won't sound like the Burm in the 992, but the difference between either and the Bose is stark enough to make the point very clearly.
zachr (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 02:37 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

From what I have seen some of the shadier dealers do not want place order demands and just take deposits, not sure what the reasoning behind this is. Sounds like your dealer is being pretty upfront though and not taking deposits for something they can't deliver.
FullThrottle64 (02-13-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:59 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by malba2366
From what I have seen some of the shadier dealers do not want place order demands and just take deposits, not sure what the reasoning behind this is. Sounds like your dealer is being pretty upfront though and not taking deposits for something they can't deliver.
Well, last night I found a dealer near my office that placed an order demand for me. They quoted a price I can live with and said that they'd take a non-refundable deposit when the allocation is available and my order is entered. That seems fair.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:01 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Drew46
Maybe I am missing something. We seem too be discussing the option of spec’ing it the way you want and waiting for an allocation vs shopping through he dealer inventory and making some compromises on options. Where is this mythical dealership inventory people are using as an option? There are some rumors that some dealers has a new 992 on their lot that is not a customer ordered car, but maybe we are talking about a very small number of cars and I imagine however few may exist are not sitting on the lots for more than a handful of days. I just don’t see shopping dealer lots as a likely way to score a 911 these days.
The dealership that I will be working with had a customer order car that was declined when it arrived, and it sold at well over MSRP pretty much immediately. These cars will pop up, but I'm guessing you're right that they are few and far between, they won't last long, and they'll be sold at extremely high prices to the highest bidder.

Quick Reply: Order lead times?