Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Maybe, but I'm fairly particular.

For me, there are four things that are not negotiable:
1) Manual transmission
2) Adaptive sport seats
3) Burmester audio
4) A color that is not black, white, grey or silver.

I'm guessing that this is a very unlikely combination to be sitting on a lot somewhere.
There might be, but the Burmester is what's holding you back... and by and large popular opinion on these boards is that it is in no way worth the premium. I'm sure it's a great stereo, but a 911 is not a great soundscape and you can't truly enjoy the advantages of a high-end stereo in a mostly uncompromising sports car.

Skip the Burmester, spend that $6k on performance options. Or a 1/3 on your way to a GTS.

Also...

Originally Posted by Drew46
What "available inventory"?
Yeah, you may have some luck finding a car available somewhere in the country, but it will almost certainly not be new. There are plenty of used 992s available (plenty is a relative term- but they're out there), it's just you'll expect to pay near or over MSRP for a new car for the convenience.

I've been waiting for an allocation for what feels like forever and no word... dealer told me it could be as long as a year for delivery and this was back in November. No end in sight so far.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:39 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
There might be, but the Burmester is what's holding you back... and by and large popular opinion on these boards is that it is in no way worth the premium. I'm sure it's a great stereo, but a 911 is not a great soundscape and you can't truly enjoy the advantages of a high-end stereo in a mostly uncompromising sports car.
I get that, but the Bose option is so hideously bad that I cannot bring myself to pay for one again. In my '08 C2s, it was absolutely the worst OEM sound I have ever had in any car I have ever owned, with the possible exception of the AM radio in the Ford Festiva that I had in graduate school. It seems ludicrous to put such an awful piece of garbage into a car that is otherwise incredibly well executed.
The following users liked this post:
tomingrassia (02-11-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 01:20 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

I get that, but the Bose option is so hideously bad that I cannot bring myself to pay for one again. In my '08 C2s, it was absolutely the worst OEM sound I have ever had in any car I have ever owned, with the possible exception of the AM radio in the Ford Festiva that I had in graduate school. It seems ludicrous to put such an awful piece of garbage into a car that is otherwise incredibly well executed.
The Bose in my 22 Targa is an excellent sound system. Comparing anything in you 08 to the current models doesn't make sense. But if Burmester is a must have, don't let anyone stand in your way.
The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
FullThrottle64 (02-07-2022), M3Inline6 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:07 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe, but I'm fairly particular.

For me, there are four things that are not negotiable:
1) Manual transmission
2) Adaptive sport seats
3) Burmester audio
4) A color that is not black, white, grey or silver.

I'm guessing that this is a very unlikely combination to be sitting on a lot somewhere.
1 and 3 were self-limiting pre-covid, highly doubt that you'll find one on lot with a burmester upgrade from premium. Best to start calling around now and get on the shortest list
FullThrottle64 (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:24 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

I ordered the Burmester in my '15 TT. Sitting, it sounded much better than the BOSE. Once underway, not so much to my ears. I just get the BOSE now. As stated above, combining a MT with Burmester and omitting those colors may make finding one a rare event.
If you search in the 991 forum, there are threads on upgrading a BOSE system. There was a audio guy in Oregon (I think) named Nick that sold upgrade kits. I never got into it, but most guys who did seemed happy with the results.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:41 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Go Bruins
The Bose in my 22 Targa is an excellent sound system. Comparing anything in you 08 to the current models doesn't make sense. But if Burmester is a must have, don't let anyone stand in your way.
100% this. If you've got the spare cash and the patience to wait for a custom order then by all means, indulge yourself... but also don't let your past experience with Bose be an indicator of future performance. I've heard similarly in the early-gens the Bose was terrible. They do evolve, and I can comment specifically around the improvement from a 981 Boxster GTS I had to a 991.2, and also from a 2015 Macan S to a 2020 Macan S. The stereos have gotten MUCH better... Still nothing to impress your friends with but they certainly get the job done, and the $4k or so premium over the Bose for the Burmester is just a tough pill to swallow.
Go Bruins (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 10:44 AM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Maybe I am missing something. We seem too be discussing the option of spec’ing it the way you want and waiting for an allocation vs shopping through he dealer inventory and making some compromises on options. Where is this mythical dealership inventory people are using as an option? There are some rumors that some dealers has a new 992 on their lot that is not a customer ordered car, but maybe we are talking about a very small number of cars and I imagine however few may exist are not sitting on the lots for more than a handful of days. I just don’t see shopping dealer lots as a likely way to score a 911 these days.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:48 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Maybe I am missing something. We seem too be discussing the option of spec’ing it the way you want and waiting for an allocation vs shopping through he dealer inventory and making some compromises on options. Where is this mythical dealership inventory people are using as an option? There are some rumors that some dealers has a new 992 on their lot that is not a customer ordered car, but maybe we are talking about a very small number of cars and I imagine however few may exist are not sitting on the lots for more than a handful of days. I just don’t see shopping dealer lots as a likely way to score a 911 these days.
Yes, my assumption has been that anything I get will have to be an ordered car - and that's true for almost any car right now, regardless of brand.

Hellcats, GT500s, Corvettes, all are long lead, order-only. I will say that I saw a GT500 on a lot, but they clearly are keeping it as a showpiece - ADM at a level making it clear that they have no intention of selling it yet.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:55 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by manifold danger
100% this. If you've got the spare cash and the patience to wait for a custom order then by all means, indulge yourself... but also don't let your past experience with Bose be an indicator of future performance. I've heard similarly in the early-gens the Bose was terrible. They do evolve, and I can comment specifically around the improvement from a 981 Boxster GTS I had to a 991.2, and also from a 2015 Macan S to a 2020 Macan S. The stereos have gotten MUCH better... Still nothing to impress your friends with but they certainly get the job done, and the $4k or so premium over the Bose for the Burmester is just a tough pill to swallow.
This is "fool me once...." space for me. I have never heard a Bose anything that hasn't had big gaps and non-linearities in the response, and I just have zero interest in paying $1,700 for something that objectively sounds bad. Given that there is no way to audition one in person, I just cannot trust that it's going to be acceptable. I can't audition the Burmester, either, but I have to believe that it at least gets into the acceptable range.

I still can't get past that the Bose in my C2S sounded FAR worse than the H-Ks in my wife's Mini, our BMW, and my Challenger. I mean a LOT worse. There's just no excuse for any part of a Porsche not being competitive with the same item in a Mini.

BTW, I'm a musician, so it matters to me. Not being able to hear all of the notes because the response has gaps is like not having 3rd gear.

Last edited by FullThrottle64; 02-07-2022 at 10:56 AM.
txpackers (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:20 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 223 Posts

I was never able to secure a test drive with a Burmester-equipped 992, however I can say this:

Bose in my ‘17 C2 Cab had what I perceived as a noticeable harshness. The 992s I have test driven all had Bose and that harshness seems to have been tuned out.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:34 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Right, but there IS used inventory for 992s. If you want a 992, you can get one right now- with a few compromises. It won't be new, may not be an ideal spec, and it will cost about as much as a new car. But they're out there.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US

It's only a natural point to touch on in reference to the original topic. But no, there isn't any new inventory and I guess I wasn't clear enough on articulating that.

This is "fool me once...." space for me. I have never heard a Bose anything that hasn't had big gaps and non-linearities in the response, and I just have zero interest in paying $1,700 for something that objectively sounds bad. Given that there is no way to audition one in person, I just cannot trust that it's going to be acceptable. I can't audition the Burmester, either, but I have to believe that it at least gets into the acceptable range.

I still can't get past that the Bose in my C2S sounded FAR worse than the H-Ks in my wife's Mini, our BMW, and my Challenger. I mean a LOT worse. There's just no excuse for any part of a Porsche not being competitive with the same item in a Mini.

BTW, I'm a musician, so it matters to me. Not being able to hear all of the notes because the response has gaps is like not having 3rd gear.
Understood. I was about to say- if you're just a hardcore audiophile OR MUSICIAN then it's pointless to argue about it- you'll be able to pick up on even the subtle differences that most of us either don't notice or don't care about. My dad's like that. Totally get it.

.... but it still might just be worth finding someone locally with a 992 (or even a 991...) that you can sit and listen to. Or click that Porsche finder link above and see if there's one within a reasonable driving distance, I'm sure the dealer wouldn't mind letting you sit in it and assess the stereo. If I still had my car I'd be happy to, I'm sure there's someone on here who'd be willing to meet up and let you experience it firsthand. Maybe even a Burmester if you're lucky!

Last edited by manifold danger; 02-07-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:21 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
12+ months before you’ll be able to secure an allocation, possibly closer to 18 for an S.
this is likely overly pessimistic, however, you should plan on 9 months for delivery from when your order locks.
it’s not really possible to speculate on securing your allocation. They’re readily available at my dealer, but you must be a local buyer. Maybe yours is similar..
Old 02-07-2022, 04:40 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
this is likely overly pessimistic, however, you should plan on 9 months for delivery from when your order locks.
it’s not really possible to speculate on securing your allocation. They’re readily available at my dealer, but you must be a local buyer. Maybe yours is similar..
Delivery 9 months after order locks?

My order locked about 2 weeks before production. Production was under a week. Car was at the Port of Houston 30 days after production complete.

Around 7 weeks from lock to port.

Was this a PTS/LTS timeline?
Old 02-07-2022, 04:56 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

What are you guys seeing for lead times on 992s? My wife just gave me permission to look at getting another Carrera S (used to have a '08 997), and I'm wondering how far in advance I need to look at ordering....
Reminded me of a meme I've seen recently ROFL

The following 5 users liked this post by Scott P:
FullThrottle64 (02-07-2022), Kurac (02-07-2022), rouxeny (02-12-2022), Therosser77 (02-11-2022), tomingrassia (02-11-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 09:10 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by L2_ONBOARD
Be what it may, this was the response I received after talking to my SA about a car for my brother in the Cleveland area and the same response my brother got from dealers in the Raleigh area.

Quick Reply: Order lead times?