Passing emissions with a tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts
Default Passing emissions with a tune

For people who live in States that do emissions testing through the OBD2 port, how does one pass emissions with a tune?

One question I have is, if you have aftermarket mods that trigger a CEL that gets removed by a tune, then won’t flashing back to stock before inspection just being back the CEL, hence causing one to fail emissions inspection?

Inquiring minds need to know
Old 02-06-2022, 12:58 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,172 Likes on 3,019 Posts

I had a car with a special map that was designed to get through the car through emissions inspection — ala Volkswagen AG. Car had cams, machined heads, deleted one CAT, air pump delete, and more. The ECU code was altered to pretend that all of that equipment was there and functioning. Aside from one small high flow cat, this was, for practical purposes, a race car powertrain.

Then, one year, I forgot to load the special map and the car passed emissions anyway. 🤣

If it’s running well, not throwing CELs, and you don’t live in California, it’s likely going to pass.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (02-06-2022)
Old 02-06-2022, 01:07 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear that in Illinois the inspector can tell through the OBD2 port that the ECU has been reflashed and can still fail you, even without CELs.

Not sure but I just want to be cautious moving forward doing this, and I don't want to burden M Engineering's thread with this discussion--but it's an important one for sure.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:11 PM
kgs365
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 81 Posts

just refresh back to stock, get inspection and flash back?
Old 02-06-2022, 01:15 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^ The issue is if you have aftermarket mods that trigger CELs (sport cats, etc).

Sounds like you may literally need to return all of the equipment back to stock, AND reflash the tune to stock, in order to pass emissions.

So a bit more involved, I am speculating.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:16 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@M Engineering do have any insights about this?
Old 02-06-2022, 02:09 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ The issue is if you have aftermarket mods that trigger CELs (sport cats, etc).

Sounds like you may literally need to return all of the equipment back to stock, AND reflash the tune to stock, in order to pass emissions.

So a bit more involved, I am speculating.
sport cat does not trigger CEL, you won’t have issues with inspection, just get the tune already
Old 02-06-2022, 02:33 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

Cobb advertises that their tunes are 50 state compliant. I understand CA wants to see the ECU sticker from Porsche for the PDK Sport+ "detune".
Old 02-06-2022, 03:17 PM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Cobb advertises that their tunes are 50 state compliant. I understand CA wants to see the ECU sticker from Porsche for the PDK Sport+ "detune".
Isn't that a stupid thing to prioritize in a state that has overwhelming problems that they have not a clue of how to address. Yessiree, better make sure everything is Kosher in "Sport +". Simply amazing.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:17 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,276 Posts

For people who live in States that do emissions testing through the OBD2 port, how does one pass emissions with a tune?

One question I have is, if you have aftermarket mods that trigger a CEL that gets removed by a tune, then won’t flashing back to stock before inspection just being back the CEL, hence causing one to fail emissions inspection?

Inquiring minds need to know
Maryland does emission tests through the OBD port (no longer through the tail pipe). I did a power bump/flash from Dinan on my M4. Since then, I’ve had no problems passing emissions testing, twice. Whether you pass, or don’t, I suspect is dependent on the software/company you use, and the folks/state doing the emission testing.

When I eventually flash my 992S, I will first see if I can pass the emission test. If I don’t, only then will I bother to re-initialize the factory state.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 02-06-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:07 PM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Most states connect to the OBD port and look for codes that would involve the pollution stuff. CA supposedly has some whiz bang crap that can tell if you have a non factory calibration.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:29 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I don’t know what Illinois does.

Doesn’t matter, I’m pretty much settled on doing the tune. Only reason I am waiting now is because my car is garaged till March.

Again, I am doing not just sport cats (which I already have installed). I am doing a whole exhaust with a new set of sport cats. CEL with that just complicates emissions testing down the road—I would have to swap out exhaust for OEM just for emissions, and then put the aftermarket exhaust back in afterward. A pain. Pay to play, I guess
Old 02-06-2022, 06:00 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

I don’t know what Illinois does.

Doesn’t matter, I’m pretty much settled on doing the tune. Only reason I am waiting now is because my car is garaged till March.

Again, I am doing not just sport cats (which I already have installed). I am doing a whole exhaust with a new set of sport cats. CEL with that just complicates emissions testing down the road—I would have to swap out exhaust for OEM just for emissions, and then put the aftermarket exhaust back in afterward. A pain. Pay to play, I guess

tupper pal, almost no exhaust out there will trigger a CEL whether it’s with sport cats or not. The only thing that triggers a CEL is catless which is what I have and the light/code is tuned out so no issues.

Last edited by reddsektor; 02-06-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:15 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 285 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
tupper pal, almost no exhaust out there will trigger a CEL whether it’s with sport cats or not. The only thing that triggers a CEL is catless which is what I have and the light/code is tuned out so no issues.

BUY IT!! You’ll thank yourself
Old 02-06-2022, 07:26 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 755 Posts

The O2 sensors will fail a test without giving CEL, regardless of hardware mods.
Interestingly, the dealers can't tell if the ECU has been flashed or not.
This is not conjecture, the above happened to my prior car with the new owner (by then, CPO).
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (02-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Passing emissions with a tune