Passing emissions with a tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 07:27 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,979 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
I don’t know what Illinois does.

Doesn’t matter, I’m pretty much settled on doing the tune. Only reason I am waiting now is because my car is garaged till March.

Again, I am doing not just sport cats (which I already have installed). I am doing a whole exhaust with a new set of sport cats. CEL with that just complicates emissions testing down the road—I would have to swap out exhaust for OEM just for emissions, and then put the aftermarket exhaust back in afterward. A pain. Pay to play, I guess
When do you have to start smogging your car? In CA and AZ, new cars get an exemption for 6 yrs, then every 2 yrs after. For many, 6 yrs may be longer than they plan on owning the car.

Me, personally, I'd keep the stock cats on. The improvement in power is negligible w/ sport cats, and it saves a ton of hassle in having to reinstall stock cats if you keep the car for the long term. On my M3, I just flash back to stock, drive around for a few weeks to get all the smog readiness indicators set and take it for smogging, then flash back to the high HP tune afterwards. It's also good for the environment.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:28 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

4 years for me.

So in 2024
Old 02-07-2022, 03:42 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,033 Posts

For everybody flashing and re-flashing, are you doing this yourself or paying a shop to do it every time?
Old 02-07-2022, 07:03 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
For everybody flashing and re-flashing, are you doing this yourself or paying a shop to do it every time?
The M-engineering tune just requires your laptop and it's DIY.
The following 2 users liked this post by chong0:
M3Inline6 (02-07-2022), peterdouglas (02-08-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 02:58 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 654 Posts

So easy to flash back to stock for emission or maintenance work.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:01 PM
ollies
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

The only problem I have experienced in the past with emissions in several states is failing for tampering. Most states have the ability to compare the vehicles current monitor status to previously run emission test results. For example, went to emissions last year and passed with all 8 monitors "passed/ready" and then return with the same VIN vehicle the following year and 7 out of 8 show ready, the other 1 shows "n/a". It can be any combination of differences of monitors, the emissions station will fail and report for tampering. Its not that they can pickup on the tune but they can flag for difference of results. With that being said, not many states testing new vehicles for 3-4 years so there likely isnt many that have dealt with this on our chassis.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:40 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,587 Likes on 572 Posts

When you use M-Tuner to flash your 992, you are provided with your tuning file(s) as well as an uninstall file to take you back to stock. When you go back to stock, we verify your CALID and CVN as stock as well so going in for an inspection is a breeze.

-Charles@M
The following 5 users liked this post by M Engineering:
M3Inline6 (02-07-2022), Pad Bender (02-09-2022), peterdouglas (02-08-2022), SamD (02-08-2022), Tupper (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 04:45 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
When you use M-Tuner to flash your 992, you are provided with your tuning file(s) as well as an uninstall file to take you back to stock. When you go back to stock, we verify your CALID and CVN as stock as well so going in for an inspection is a breeze.

-Charles@M
Thank you for the follow-up. I appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:24 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 131 Posts

-Charles@M
What about emissions readiness monitors? On my M4 I had to verify these were complete prior to emissions testing after reflashing to a stock tune.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:21 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

-Charles@M
So to clarify, what Ollies described above with a flag for "difference of results" basically can't happen because of the M engineering CALID and CVN verification??
I have a feeling a fair number of Californians on the sidelines with respect to ECU tune waiting to see larger numbers of 992 owners successfully passing California smog after re-flashing back to normal with the CALID and CVN verification for more peace of mind. "Douubting Thomases" if you will.
Thank you.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:25 PM
ollies
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
So to clarify, what Ollies described above with a flag for "difference of results" basically can't happen because of the M engineering CALID and CVN verification??
I have a feeling a fair number of Californians on the sidelines with respect to ECU tune waiting to see larger numbers of 992 owners successfully passing California smog after re-flashing back to normal with the CALID and CVN verification for more peace of mind. "Douubting Thomases" if you will.
Thank you.
It wont happen for the reason M-Eng explained BUT also wouldnt happen due to the likeliness it hasnt been through emissions yet. What I explained would be a scenario if you had taken the car to emissions stock and then say the next year you had a tune with emissions deletes or monitor readiness differences, the emissions check would flag for a difference in monitor readiness. I plan to go with M-Eng for its ability to revert back to stock when needed, they have the ultimate product in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Tompoodie (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ollies
It wont happen for the reason M-Eng explained BUT also wouldnt happen due to the likeliness it hasnt been through emissions yet. What I explained would be a scenario if you had taken the car to emissions stock and then say the next year you had a tune with emissions deletes or monitor readiness differences, the emissions check would flag for a difference in monitor readiness. I plan to go with M-Eng for its ability to revert back to stock when needed, they have the ultimate product in my opinion.
Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful reply, ollies.
Very reassuring. I have a 992 base on order.
I plan to tune it when it is near the end of its warranty.
It's really incredible that it will have more torque than a GTS, and meaningfully lighter weight.
It's also fortuitous that while the new PDK eight speed has gained weight, it has also gained robustness so that the increased torque of a tune should be quite safe, given the plan for the 992 to able to withstand the torque of an auxiliary electric motor in the not so distant future.
Cheers, ollie.
ollies (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:11 AM
centaur
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
Thank you so much for the speedy and helpful reply, ollies.
Very reassuring. I have a 992 base on order.
I plan to tune it when it is near the end of its warranty.
It's really incredible that it will have more torque than a GTS, and meaningfully lighter weight.
It's also fortuitous that while the new PDK eight speed has gained weight, it has also gained robustness so that the increased torque of a tune should be quite safe, given the plan for the 992 to able to withstand the torque of an auxiliary electric motor in the not so distant future.
Cheers, ollie.
Congrats on the new 911 coming. Break it in and tune it. I've never seen or heard of anyone using a quality calibration from a well known reputable tuning house lunching a motor. Enjoy your 911 to the fullest and don't worship the factory warranty, tune it and enjoy the car the way it should have been delivered in the first place.
It is highly unlikely that you will actually wait 4 years if you really intend on going this route if you even own the car at that point.
The following 2 users liked this post by centaur:
Tompoodie (02-09-2022), Tupper (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 05:30 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
tupper pal, almost no exhaust out there will trigger a CEL whether it’s with sport cats or not. The only thing that triggers a CEL is catless which is what I have and the light/code is tuned out so no issues.
That's not exactly true. We have had a handful of 21/22 911's with sport cats throwing a CEL. The 2020 model years were the ones that are not affected.
Tupper (02-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Passing emissions with a tune