992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new M3 drive you to the 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022 | 10:13 AM
Mikster
Racer

Agreed with most comments here. I don't think one cross-shops from M3 to 992 since the price differential is enormous when buying new.
Many people aspire and move *up* to a 911, from an M3.
In my case, I loved my F80 and when time came to think about something new, I went looking at 911 knowing full well I'd be paying more, but getting a totally different experience and utility as well. As well, I could not stay with BMW because of how hideous the new G80 was. It's too angular, too squared off, and the grill design atrocious. There aren't many other choices that offer a manual transmission either, so Porsche was an easy brand to look at.
Luckily I was able to sell my F80 for more than the buyout price which made the transition a bit easier.

M
The following 2 users liked this post by Mikster:
Budman1 (01-14-2022), detansinn (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:16 AM
lastsun
Advanced

I cross shopped the new M3 comp x drive to a 992 and I ended up ordering 992 c2 at msrp because I just could not justify buying a bmw at msrp. I would never buy any bmws for less than 6% discount at this market or 12% at a normal market. These things depreciate like crazy. The used market right now will make it seem like even the bmw won't depreciate but when everything goes back to normal, other people will get heavy discounts off the m3 and I would be stuck with a msrp m3. I personally think that the 25k extra that I spent on a 992 will definitely pay off in the future in terms of resale.
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:36 AM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BCgeorgia
Question: Who else was recently lead/driven to the 911 because of the new "face only a mother could love" polarizing G80 M3 design?

Background:
I've been a long time BMW admirer and got my first a few years back (m sport model, not full M). I wasn't sure if luxury/sports cars would be my bag, but consider myself now hooked. I was excited/committed to get into a new M3 or M2 for my next car in 2yrs, but I find the front of the G8X cringe worthy... and initial pics of the upcoming M2 (+ already released new 2 series design) aren't much better. In general, BMW's whole new design approach is a huge turn off. I actually spent ~6mo lamenting this and trying to acclimate to the new designs, but to no avail. Long story short, I started considering all other cars and have now firmly fixated on a 911. Sticker shock initially made me hesitant, but the combo of looks, performance, and reliability have me even more excited than I was in the past for an M3/M2. My current plan is to either get on a waitlist in a year for a new 992... or wait 2yrs and either buy a used 992/991.2 (this will be a 3rd car, so exact timing isn't critical). Hopefully the 911 market chills out a little by then.

For an interesting (or cringe worthy?) read, check out this post I made on bimmerpost. I (naively) was hoping to start a conversation about this topic on their G80X m3/4 forum with other conflicted enthusiasts, but that was a mistake. Mostly I got massively flamed by G8X owners, many who don’t even seem to acknowledge how polarizing the design is at best. I'm sure there were readers/lurkers who shared my feelings, but knew better than to post.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1870823
Since you are sort of new to BMW, the new electronic power steering (old hydraulic steering had more feel) since 2015 or 2016 along with softer suspension killed the original ultimate driving machine as BMW moved from sporting sedans to Lexus like luxury market (Lexus lost a lot of market share). Porsche also moved to EPS but is tuned better than BMW.

Regarding looks, I am ok with M3 look but new designs seem to Lexus like especially the 8 series coupe. But hard to cross shop M3 vs 911

Old 01-13-2022 | 10:41 AM
lastsun
Advanced

This was also interesting
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:48 AM
M2to992C2S
Advanced

I had an OG M2 manual, then M2C with DCT. Like a lot of BMW owners, I always wanted a 911. Now was the right time for me to move into one. I have a C2s with manual arriving in early March. My kids are 5-7 so they can fit in the back of the 911 for a few years. I would consider a new M3 in a few years if I need something more practical. That being said, maybe once I live with the 911 for a while there won’t be any going back to BMW.
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:51 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
...The interior is actually REALLY a strong point for me. The sport buckets in particular. They look incredible, have received great reviews, and are fully adjustable. As a guy who was (still is?) very much on the fence about getting the LWBs in a 992 GTS but can't quite justify it for a car that will only do 2-5 track days a year, the sport buckets in the G8x are incredibly appealing.

Add in the fact that it's nearly half the cost of the GTS and I'm definitely not the richest guy on this forum, and you've got a compelling argument.
Agree on the value proposition, especially regarding the buckets. I just don't understand why BMW is still making the driver's seat crooked/off-center of the steering wheel? Especially with that seat belt guide, or whatever that nub is, in the middle of the base. That said, on latest "The Smoking Tire Podcast", Jason Cammisa mentioned that BMW has a corporate policy of switching employees to new positions every (2) years, regardless if it was part of their original work/studies background (e.g. - someone in manufacturing moves to marketing, etc). Could be the reason why many question some of their decisions in recent years?

Last edited by colnagoG60; 01-13-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:53 AM
sali1980
Rennlist Member

Ideal scenario is to get 911 and M3 both
The following 3 users liked this post by sali1980:
AlterZgo (01-13-2022), GeorgeA (09-03-2024), mdrobc1213 (01-18-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 10:59 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

The new M3/M4's spirit animal.
The following 10 users liked this post by Jaye Bass:
911Stiller (01-24-2022), BCgeorgia (01-13-2022), detansinn (01-13-2022), IRunalot (01-15-2022), pman3 (01-13-2022), R0llTideEsq (01-13-2022), rouxeny (01-13-2022), Tupper (01-13-2022), twin_turbo (01-13-2022), ZGstar (01-13-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:03 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Question: Who else was recently lead/driven to the 911 because of the new "face only a mother could love" polarizing G80 M3 design?

Background:
I've been a long time BMW admirer and got my first a few years back (m sport model, not full M). I wasn't sure if luxury/sports cars would be my bag, but consider myself now hooked. I was excited/committed to get into a new M3 or M2 for my next car in 2yrs, but I find the front of the G8X cringe worthy... and initial pics of the upcoming M2 (+ already released new 2 series design) aren't much better. In general, BMW's whole new design approach is a huge turn off. I actually spent ~6mo lamenting this and trying to acclimate to the new designs, but to no avail. Long story short, I started considering all other cars and have now firmly fixated on a 911. Sticker shock initially made me hesitant, but the combo of looks, performance, and reliability have me even more excited than I was in the past for an M3/M2. My current plan is to either get on a waitlist in a year for a new 992... or wait 2yrs and either buy a used 992/991.2 (this will be a 3rd car, so exact timing isn't critical). Hopefully the 911 market chills out a little by then.

For an interesting (or cringe worthy?) read, check out this post I made on bimmerpost. I (naively) was hoping to start a conversation about this topic on their G80X m3/4 forum with other conflicted enthusiasts, but that was a mistake. Mostly I got massively flamed by G8X owners, many who don’t even seem to acknowledge how polarizing the design is at best. I'm sure there were readers/lurkers who shared my feelings, but knew better than to post.

I can’t speak for other Porsche 911 owners, but my own opinion and those that I know who do own a 911, don’t, and have never looked at the M3 as a competitor to the 911…or visa versa. If nothing else, just from a price standpoint.

I have a 2016 M4 and a 2021 992S, and the two cars are vastly different…in almost every aspect. I still own both and drive both. They are used quite differently. For example, I find the 911 to be exceptional on windy roads….but not on long drives. The 911, IMO, is not a particularly comfortable car for long hauls. My M4 is, well, more suited for longer commutes.

But if I could only afford, or had room for just one car, between the two, I would buy the car based on how I (not someone else) planned to use the car…..after all, one is still a sedan, while the other is a sports car, and their utility and driving feel are quite different, IMO.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:09 AM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Background:

More posts about this here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1244...light=m3+price

....and here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1264...or-bmw-m3.html
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:15 AM
woobiee
Pro

Our family have owned a slew of BMW models spanning over 20 years and we enjoyed their products immensely. Clearly we were fans! My last BMW was the F82 M4 manual and while it was very capable, it felt like it lost some spark compared to previous gens. It wasn’t a huge deal. My plan was to keep this for a while as a daily driver and order the Lotus Emira when it finally releases! No rush, no rush.

During my time with the F82, it felt like BMW was being transformed into a car make that I would never have thought they would. I think it started for me with face-lifted G11 7 series with the enormous grill. I thought the proportions were a little daring but boy was I surprised as time went on! The F44 2 GC with front wheel drive and its stubby front end was very out of character. Then the G22 4 series was revealed and soon after, M3/4 leaks were coming out. This set off alarms.

To keep it brief, I do not like the front or side profile of the current M3/4. As a designer in the field I’m in, I find the new design language somewhat garish — handsomeness is now replaced with over-styled and over-compensation, with details that has no rhyme or reason for being. I highly respect design heritage, especially for car makers and I find BMW straying way off course recently.

Since then, the new 2 series coupe is somewhat better, but that strangely proportioned rear end design was enough to not consider the next M2 whenever that drops. And then the pair of doozies iX and XM…sigh.

It’s now very evident that I will be keeping my F82 for as long as I can — and enjoy it until the Emira comes out. But…no!

This has been mentioned on other threads but I had a catastrophic incident with my F82 back in October where I ran over some road debris. This destroyed the poorly located oil cooler and immediately seized the engine. Car is done and waiting for the Emira to be released for another year or two without a car was not possible. As a new potential Porsche customer, I miscalculated of how difficult it is to secure a vehicle, and especially in this climate. Mercifully I only had to wait about 3 months for a C2GTS allocation, being built in June!

I apologize for this long and opinionated rant.
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:18 AM
lastsun
Advanced

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I can’t speak for other Porsche 911 owners, but my own opinion and those that I know who do own a 911, don’t, and have never looked at the M3 as a competitor to the 911…or visa versa. If nothing else, just from a price standpoint.

I have a 2016 M4 and a 2021 992S, and the two cars are vastly different…in almost every aspect. I still own both and drive both. They are used quite differently. For example, I find the 911 to be exceptional on windy roads….but not on long drives. The 911, IMO, is not a particularly comfortable car for long hauls. My M4 is, well, more suited for longer commutes.

But if I could only afford, or had room for just one car, between the two, I would buy the car based on how I (not someone else) planned to use the car…..after all, one is still a sedan, while the other is a sports car, and their utility and driving feel are quite different, IMO.
I agree with you, I own a 2022 BMW X3 M40i as my family vehicle for 4 and 2022 992 C2 as my daily driver and commute to work. I would say M3 is a sports sedan that is much more family-friendly.
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:19 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I was at Thermal CA BMW Performance Center last month and spent two days flogging all the latest and greatest BMW M cars, including the M3 Competition, and I have owned (6) BMW's of all kinds and (8) Porsches. My takeaway is that they are two different vehicles that are both highly capable, while at the same time they are dissimilar. They look different, they actually drive different, too. BMW likes digital wizardry in the dash and cockpit, Porsche has a more analog bias. BMW costs less and is heavier. Porsche doesn't look like every other 4 door sedan and is several hundred pounds lighter. You'll typically get higher resale from a 911 than an M3 as well. I find the 992 is a considerably better and easier driver when pushed very hard, such as at a track. The weight reduction pays off, and the car feels more natural then the M3, and is MUCH easier to brake hard with and turn in. M3 is a great bang for the buck though, All depends on your financial position and desires.

Last edited by drcollie; 01-13-2022 at 12:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlterZgo (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:27 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by lastsun
I agree with you, I own a 2022 BMW X3 M40i as my family vehicle for 4 and 2022 992 C2 as my daily driver and commute to work. I would say M3 is a sports sedan that is much more family-friendly.

To help illustrate my point…,just yesterday, after all the snow has melted, I decided to take the 992s to our local liquor store to replenish after the holidays. Normally I take the M4, but decided since the Porsche hasn’t been driven in a while, I would take that car instead. I ended up getting a case of wine and a case of beer and some pretzels and just and a few other snacks. I mistakenly thought they would easily fit in the frunk of the Porsche…I had forgotten that my track helmet and a few other items were in the frunk….so, getting what I had just bought into the frunk was not an option. So some of the items had to go in the back seat, which was a bit of a struggle…but doable. Had I taken the M4, getting everything, easily, into the trunk would have been a breeze.
Old 01-13-2022 | 11:47 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Stay with the M340i, it's plenty of car, plenty of speed, plenty of practicality, and it doesn't have the buck toothed grill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tupper:
alex2364 (01-16-2022), TheStanman (01-13-2022)

Quick Reply: new M3 drive you to the 911?