Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 12:08 AM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

I hate driving on winter/snow tires as the tread design dulls handling and steering feedback. Regardless of what tires I'm using when it's cold (and dry) outside, I accept the fact that I'll have to drive more conservatively either with summer tires or sloppy handling winter tires.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:52 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,135 Likes on 3,006 Posts

Originally Posted by turbonator
I hate driving on winter/snow tires as the tread design dulls handling and steering feedback. Regardless of what tires I'm using when it's cold (and dry) outside, I accept the fact that I'll have to drive more conservatively either with summer tires or sloppy handling winter tires.
Not my experience with modern winter performance tires. You can really push the vehicle and not drive all that conservatively. They're not "sloppy" at all.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:17 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by aquatone
Hi Mark S… I live close to you in Sedona and often visit Prescott (via Jerome) over the Mingus mountain in all temperatures - on my summer tires with no problems. Those switch backs are great 911 territory! Probably most here don’t realize that those colder temperatures are only overnight but it quickly heats up in direct sun in the day, especially at this altitude with the clear skies we have. If you are regularly driving at 4.00am in the depth of winter then maybe winters might be a consideration, but my car and yours is usually in a garage then. Even when it snows it evaporates quickly. You don’ t need them.

What we usually need to look out for are shadowed areas where overnight ice can remain though it will be bone dry in direct sunlight and above 40 degrees.. but you anticipate that and drive accordingly.
Doing that drive to this weekend. Joined PCA AZ mountain region. Being retired I am sleeping in when it’s cold. 😁
Old 01-11-2022, 08:15 PM
blutruck1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Winter tires are a lot cheaper than a wreck.

I live in Show Low and I do run winter tires and rims, I change them beginning of Dec, and will probably put summers back on in Feb. I don't drive crazy, but I do get pretty zippy. I run all over, through Payson, Flag, Alpine, NM, etc. Usually, I'll go for a 200 to 300 mile drive. Conditions here in the high country are pretty varied. I've been in nice clear 30's here in Show Low and run into pouring rain in Flag/Sedona/Payson, you never know what the weather will be until you get there. Winters work just fine (Continental's). I'm not racing on the streets, I've been over Mingus, and the tires weren't an issue, traffic was. They've been north of 120 and appear to be wearing just fine. I've driven to/in Phoenix with them, they work just like tires should.

Personally, I don't want to find out the temp at which summers fail, nor do I want to find out how summer tires work going around corners with snow/ice in the shadows. I like this car a lot, I want to keep it original and working. Winter tires/rims are cheap compared to a wreck. Why chance it? Buy a set of winters, run them for a couple of months, don't fret the temps, enjoy the season, and change them when it warms up. Getting caught out at night, or in rain/snow won't be a (tire) problem. Save the worry for something else.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,681 Likes on 5,112 Posts

I thought this is appropriate here ...

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: Do I Need Winter Tires?