Sponsored by:

Do I Need Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 01:59 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by AcousTech
...If All Seasons start to fail ~45 degrees, then Summer's probably fail at even higher temps. So the SUV seems the best route in colder temps.
Some manufacturers recommend a temperature acclamation cycle for "Summer Tires", when temps dip below ~45F or so. If "All-seasons" are designed for "light snow", and it needs to be "below 45F" in order to snow, I don't think the above statement is correct. However I agree that "Winter Tires" are better than All-seasons for colder temps, even in the dry.

FWIW, my GT4 is an "outside car", and I've been on All-seasons for the past consecutive 30 months, in Maryland, since acquiring the car. No issues on my 110mi work commute in sub-freezing/single digit F temps.
The following users liked this post:
Tupper (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 03:24 PM
HJ951
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert
I live in East Tennessee and I do NOT use summer tires during the winter, why? Because I only drive on days when the temperature gets above 40 degrees which is almost always after lunch. If its close to 40 I drive very sensible, basically just driving it to keep battery charged, parts lubricated, etc. If it gets above 50 in the afternoons, I may have a little more fun but I definitely don't drive it like I do in the late Spring / Summer / early Fall.

You will develop a feel for it fairly quickly but your tires definitely effect your cornering and braking characteristics when it's that cold so drive sensibly and you will be just fine.
I live in North Carolina but this is my practice also.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,756 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Agree with everyone saying no, you don’t need them.

Do you have a heated garage?

I’ve found that my tire temps don’t change over an hour’s drive much when leaving a 55F heated garage to a 10F ambient outside temp, which means that I’ll have more grip than someone starting off at 10F. A surprising side effect of a heated garage is that friction and car heat tend to offset the frigid cold outside, which is a nice trade off.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:38 PM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Agree with everyone saying no, you don’t need them.

Do you have a heated garage?

I’ve found that my tire temps don’t change over an hour’s drive much when leaving a 55F heated garage to a 10F ambient outside temp, which means that I’ll have more grip than someone starting off at 10F. A surprising side effect of a heated garage is that friction and car heat tend to offset the frigid cold outside, which is a nice trade off.
Yes garage is heated - good points.
Mike Murphy (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 04:56 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

I live in DC metro area. I have never swapped tires, and my performance cars usually ride on summers. I drive less, and not at all aggressively, and never if there's any precip on the ground or expected. Never had an issue. But I have the flexibility of choosing whether and when to go out. I'm not punching time clocks and nobody expects me to be somewhere on days where I'd rather not be.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:05 PM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm in NC and went (possibly too) cautious and run winter tires for the (decreasingly common) month(s) when the high temperatures range from 20's-lower 50's. My logic being I drive in the AM when it is coldest and after dark when cold-ish, car can be parked outside all day when cold, and I had a unexpected slide once on the highway at 40 with summers. If I was rational I would not have winters, but it provides some piece of mind.

But the real reason is it give me a chance to use Quickjacks and play with tools.
HJ951 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 05:10 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I live in DC metro area. I have never swapped tires, and my performance cars usually ride on summers. I drive less, and not at all aggressively, and never if there's any precip on the ground or expected. Never had an issue. But I have the flexibility of choosing whether and when to go out. I'm not punching time clocks and nobody expects me to be somewhere on days where I'd rather not be.

Be careful with that. The sidewall of the summer Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my 20thAE GTI, failed in sub-freezing temps. While I made it to the restaurant about 2 miles from home, one of the rears cracked/flattened while there, much like a dried out rubber band would crumble. Its not just the grip hazard that one has to worry about...thankfully I wasn't moving when it happened.
detansinn (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 05:11 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Be careful with that. The sidewall of the summer Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my 20thAE GTI, failed in sub-freezing temps. While I made it to the restaurant about 2 miles from home, one of the rears cracked/flattened while there, much like a dried out rubber band would crumble. Its not just the grip hazard that one has to worry about...thankfully I wasn't moving when it happened.
Interesting. After 30+ years, I'm really not worried. Going out in sub freezing weather is also getting less likely as I age.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:27 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Are you a Senator???
Old 01-10-2022, 05:28 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mksz51
Are you a Senator???
lmao, no. semi-retired tech exec.
mksz51 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:11 PM
breny4104
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 312 Posts

What is the risk of driving winter tires on a unusually warm day? My understanding is that they wear faster but it is not dangerous like driving summers on a below 40 day.
detansinn (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:24 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark S
Below is typical winter weather where I live. I rarely leave the house before 10:00. We have about 10 days a year of more severe weather but will just leave car in garage those days. Do I need winter tires?

If you want to be able to drive your Porsche 911 like a Porsche 911 in these conditions, you want proper winter tires. It's quite dangerous to be on summer tires below 40F -- risk of tire failure and limited grip. Summer tires can develop hidden cracks in the cold that can result in failures when you're driving aggressively in warm weather.
breny4104 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 08:45 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

The temps here in Jan./Feb are similar w/avg highs in the low 50's and lows in the 30's. However, it rains quite a bit during those months, we are talking about 5+ inches a month in the winter. 45F with a bunch of rain makes summer tires treacherous here.
breny4104 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 09:51 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by breny4104
What is the risk of driving winter tires on a unusually warm day? My understanding is that they wear faster but it is not dangerous like driving summers on a below 40 day.
The risk for the OP is it's an unnecessary financial proposition (for extra tires +/- wheels) and hassle that can easily be avoided by driving "normal/sane/not like a moron" on cool days. Another observation - just my own opinion - there seems to be an undercurrent of thought here that unless you are shifting at 80-100% of redline each and every time you take the car out that you're not worthy of the car or enjoying the "true experience". So much BS - just drive easy when it's cool outside (and enjoy your heated steering wheel). Believe it or not - my garage is very tidy and clean - we are deep into winter now with snow on the ground and cold temps. My 911 is tucked away in the corner of the garage on a battery tender. NO cover - I walk over to look at it daily, smile, and dream of that first day in April when I'll get it out again. What a gift - that is renewed annually when I get to drive it again! I get that doesn't work for everyone - but it sure does for me!

Last edited by mksz51; 01-10-2022 at 09:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mksz51:
flyfisher (01-10-2022), German1967 (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 10:58 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 81 Posts

Hi Mark S… I live close to you in Sedona and often visit Prescott (via Jerome) over the Mingus mountain in all temperatures - on my summer tires with no problems. Those switch backs are great 911 territory! Probably most here don’t realize that those colder temperatures are only overnight but it quickly heats up in direct sun in the day, especially at this altitude with the clear skies we have. If you are regularly driving at 4.00am in the depth of winter then maybe winters might be a consideration, but my car and yours is usually in a garage then. Even when it snows it evaporates quickly. You don’ t need them.

What we usually need to look out for are shadowed areas where overnight ice can remain though it will be bone dry in direct sunlight and above 40 degrees.. but you anticipate that and drive accordingly.

Last edited by aquatone; 01-10-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Mark S (01-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Do I Need Winter Tires?