Sponsored by:

After Market Duck Tail for 992

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 02:10 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I believe for most it will be looks not speed or aerodynamic gains; well for me though I may have the straight line runs due to massive temperature shifts between winter and summer heaves on the asphalt are common and thus coupled with critters (large and small) that pop out of nowhere I would be wary of placing pedal to the metal up here.

As to @3rdpedal I concur, errors in grammar etc. detract from the product and place a question on the commitment the company has. As I mentioned if anyone has found other sources for a duck tail please post.

siberian
Old 12-15-2021, 02:21 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,656 Likes on 783 Posts

I am not concerned about the lack of aerodynamic gains but more so about the aerodynamic loss.

The fitment does not look great based on those videos. Look at the gap at the 20 second mark of the last video.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Liquidgold
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Siberian,
You may want to check this one.

https://moshammer-automotive.com/pro...ktail-evo-pro/
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 03:22 PM
Liquidgold
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Youtube video of install in a 991.2 ducktail.

The following 3 users liked this post by Liquidgold:
mdrobc1213 (12-27-2021), siberian (12-15-2021), wdr911 (07-06-2022)
Old 12-15-2021, 03:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanx for that. I was hoping it would be a wee bit more lift/pronounced as with the original duck tail. Also note that the gap between the engine cover and tail is the same or looks the same as the Chinese version.

I'll inquire with Moshammer as to freight etc.

siberian
Old 12-15-2021, 04:03 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here is the mail I sent to Moshammer:

Hi;

I'm interested in your "duck tail" for my 2021 992C4S.

Do you have any pictures of it on a 992? What color does it come in?

What are the freight costs to USA zip 99709 insured?

Do you accept returns if for some reason not satisfied?

Would you offer a discount (on shipping and/or part) if a Group Buy is organized from one of the major Porsche forums and how many orders would be needed?

Thank you for your time. Beste Gruesse,

I forgot to ask about whether the active mechanism needs to be disabled, but as they are in Germany and center the major part of their business around Porsche I would assume not. If/when I hear from them I'll pose the question. Thanx again @Liquidgold

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-15-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:07 PM
Moosedoc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Ducktail

Originally Posted by siberian
OK
The TOS of this thread is finding a duck tail (whether Chinese, German, Peruvian or whatever) for a 992. Political/racial commentaries will get you a warning and then a ban. We're talking about spoilers not what you think an entire country is responsible for. You want to proselytize that go elsewhere.

So let's get back to the subject at hand. Thank you

siberian
100% agree. Subject at hand is an aftermarket duck tail. I love the way a ducktail looks and would love to have one on my C4S. If it was an option from the factory, I would have gotten one in a heartbeat. The factory aero kit is nice, but I would love something a little more subtle.

Last edited by Moosedoc; 12-15-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:32 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Reply from Future Design:Hi Sir:

May I know which forum is? I am eager to understand what is going on.
The attached photo is that the client mentioned "his dissatisfaction", if you check the original spoiler, you will see there is a similar seam in the same place.
We also provide all installation guide and explain the detail to him, but it sees this client has the different thought for this.
we always provide the best service to our clients, we are proud of this after-sales service.

I'll have to wait and see what OP says. Don't see anything obvious wrong

siberian
Old 12-15-2021, 04:36 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Looks fine to me. The other photos you posted look good as well, but there's zero chance I'd ever have a "future design" logo on my car.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Gotta agree with you on that and reason I mentioned it...

siberian
Old 12-15-2021, 06:38 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

As far as moderators, y'all should go over to the CorvetteForum and mix and mingle in the C8 section. Lawd, moderators be cray cray over yonder and here I think they are pretty true to form and do a great job. I wouldn't want to do it.

@siberian what do you see as the advantages and value of this piece versus another US made piece or stock Porsche piece, cost aside? OR maybe the cost is the major factor in it?

I have zero dog in the fight and am just curious about the thought process and cost/benefit type analysis.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:51 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have been asked to not comment further on the FD one as the person is trying to solve the matter with the company and believes posts here may influence the outcome. Respecting this (wish I had known explicitly earlier what he did want divulged) I'd appreciate folks forgetting for now that unit and concentrating on others as they are mentioned.

To answer your question, I'm more into the retro look of the 911T I had when in Europe and went through the same or some of the same issues in trying to put a VAR (Fiberglass) duck tail on it. It took me a lot of futzing with the fiberglass to get the right fit. I did do some mountain rallyes in Switzerland when we lived there so it was never top end speed I was after then or now after but more look while not seriously endangering the stability the car.

US, German or other? I don't really care other than 6 grand for an "aerokit" is absurd IMHO (of course) both from looks and cost aspect. So mostly I'm looking for a good finish, sturdy construction but I choke more on folks paying that much for an aerokit than placing a non Porsche tail on my 992. I've actually used red duct tape at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel than pay who knows what for a "red leather strip". Unless you stick your nose up close you can't tell.

I've been working on cars for over 60 years, drag raced, mountain rallied and I've always taken pride in modifying my car to my taste. I'll continue to do that getting my 992 to where I want it electronically and body wise. So no real bias other than a quality product for a reasonable price.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-16-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:35 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Not looking to start any sort of argument, but I will add this.

The SportDesign Package which includes the Front Fascia and revised Rear Bumper package is $4,890. Why it doesn't package in the Side Skirts I don't know because at that point....well you know.

The Aerokit is $6,910, but essentially forces the SportDesign Package on you. So the actual spoiler is $2,020. Unfortunately you cannot get the rear wing without the SportDesign package, but if you were considering the SD package, then the cost of the wing is $2,020, which is not unreasonable. You also remove the vertical 3rd taillight which does not bother me but I realize is an issue for some, and adds the vertical rear slats in silver, which again, who cares.

While the Aerokit wing has grown on me to the point I can say I am somewhat a fan, though not a road I went down, I don't care for the high bumper cutout of the SportDesign rear and that kind of steered me away from the Aerokit anyway.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:38 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When I ordered my 992, aerokits were not being delivered. However on reflection I was never really taken by the table as I was by the duck tail so I spent the saving in side skirts and SD package. I'm not going to track the car nor take it to it's limits but as with all my modifications throughout my life I have a "vision" of what I want my car to look and feel, and the duck tail is part of it, air jacks is a possibility (as they have on IMSA and F1 in the 1980s) etc. Don't care where the kit comes from as long as it's a quality product at a reasonable price.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-16-2021 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:11 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 701 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
I have been asked to not comment further on the FD one as the person is trying to solve the matter with the company and believes posts here may influence the outcome. Respecting this (wish I had known explicitly earlier what he did want divulged) I'd appreciate folks forgetting for now that unit and concentrating on others as they are mentioned.

To answer your question, I'm more into the retro look of the 911T I had when in Europe and went through the same or some of the same issues in trying to put a VAR (Fiberglass) duck tail on it. It took me a lot of futzing with the fiberglass to get the right fit. I did do some mountain rallyes in Switzerland when we lived there so it was never top end speed I was after then or now after but more look while not seriously endangering the stability the car.

US, German or other? I don't really care other than 6 grand for an "aerokit" is absurd IMHO (of course) both from looks and cost aspect. So mostly I'm looking for a good finish, sturdy construction but I choke more on folks paying that much for an aerokit than placing a non Porsche tail on my 992. I've actually used red duct tape at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel than pay who knows what for a "red leather strip". Unless you stick your nose up close you can't tell.

I've been working on cars for over 60 years, drag raced, mountain rallied and I've always taken pride in modifying my car to my taste. I'll continue to do that getting my 992 to where I want it electronically and body wise. So no real bias other than a quality product for a reasonable price.

siberian
Makes total sense. Thanks for taking the time to answer. I was secretly hoping for some sort of snow drift/plow/rally answer.

I am totally on board with the $6K pricing for the aerokit especially when, to me, it isn't exactly a good continuation of the car's line, in my opinion. I like it, but don't love it, and love it less for $6K.

Last edited by siberian; 12-16-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: After Market Duck Tail for 992