Sponsored by:

992 gts or Shelby gt500 with carbon wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 04:47 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what does it matter what your fancy car sits next to in the service bay? Hell, your new 911 might be next to a 35 year old 924/944 or early 986 boxster thats worth about $3k. What does it matter? As long as the tech is good, and from experience, there are good and bad ford techs and porsche techs, I'm not sure why the car's service companions matter.
Besides, at the Ford dealer it could be sitting next to this one

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2019-ford-gt-12/

Old 12-15-2021, 04:50 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

Idk if any of you has had the misfortune to deal with a ford dealer lately, but it's a soul crushing experience. I tried to buy the new Bronco. The failed attempt left a terrible taste in my mouth.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:55 PM
JRBucks
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Fun thread indeed. My opinion. If I had them both in my garage and got the chance to drive one for an hour I would take the GT500. If I had to choose one to keep, the 911 no doubt.
The following users liked this post:
tps7c (03-25-2023)
Old 12-15-2021, 05:38 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sausage416
I’ve driven and owned a lot of Porsches already, so I’m aware of their characteristics, never driven a shelby gt350 or the 500, unfortunately dealer here won’t let you test drive them.

I started out with a 981 cgts - 981 spyder - 991.2 gts - 991.2 gt3 - back to the mid engine 718 spyder, traded for a 992 turbo, and now waiting for my 992 gt3 Feb delivery.

I wanted to start a fun comparison thread, since most of rennlist threads have all been talking about adm, the long wait, resale value, deviated stitching ect ect.
You don’t like deviated stitching? Just kidding, I get it. Just very difficult to get a fair assessment of the GT from a bunch of Porsche guys but good luck.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

what does it matter what your fancy car sits next to in the service bay? Hell, your new 911 might be next to a 35 year old 924/944 or early 986 boxster thats worth about $3k. What does it matter? As long as the tech is good, and from experience, there are good and bad ford techs and porsche techs, I'm not sure why the car's service companions matter.
My experience with mass market dealers may differ than yours. We all make decisions based on our own personal history. I have had 2 buyback cars over the last 8 years. No loaners most of the time, you get the runaround. Not fixing Issues that clearly need corrected. I had the wrong oil put in my wife’s car and a tech forget to put a skid plate back on my Tacoma after doing an oil change. It then disappeared. Sub par repairs such as replacing a single lifter when it goes bad and leaving the likely scored cam…from what I can tell, Porsche stands behind their products in much more acceptable fashion. YMMV. If you have confidence that the service is equal after the sale between Porsche and Ford, then don’t factor that into your analysis. I will because that is my experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by 22992:
911therapy (12-15-2021), manifold danger (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:38 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

The mass market dealers - ford/etc - are much worse to deal with at every touch point than porsche/bmw/mercedes. No question about it - whether sales, service, or whatever. I'm not sure how they sold GTs, but if it was the same staff, lol - that would be hilarious. Watching the slimy sales guy try to sell the GT buyer undercoating ... lmao.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:07 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
The mass market dealers - ford/etc - are much worse to deal with at every touch point than porsche/bmw/mercedes.
Couldn't disagree more about Mercedes. I was in the market for a SUV recently and I was very interested in the GLE. I went to see a Merc dealer and they sucked. I went to a second dealer and they sucked even worse, they gave me eye rolls when I asked simple questions about colors. I went to a third dealer and they didn't suck as much but they still weren't great and they made me sign a paper promising that my test drive wasn't gonna be more than 15 mins long (!!!).

So it occurred to me to look into Lincoln, which is sold out of a corner of a local Ford dealer. They dropped off a car at my home and they told me to give them a call when I was done with it. I kept it for three days. I went to see them at the dealership and they had a lovely briefcase containing samples of exterior colors and interior materials and colors. None of the Merc dealers had any color samples.

I placed an order with the guy over email, I put down zero deposit, I got "track my dream"-like updates with build schedules and updates, and on Friday I'm having the car dropped off at my home after dealing with all the paperwork from home. Very happy with the experience.
The following 4 users liked this post by Freddie Two Bs:
AlterZgo (12-19-2021), JRBucks (12-16-2021), Kurac (12-19-2021), tps7c (03-25-2023)
Old 12-16-2021, 12:06 AM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 134 Posts

MB's are trash, imo. I would have that GT500 over any Benz south of the most capable AMG GT. I like having different kinds of cars. One of my favorite types of cars is the front engine V8 performance car. I want those cars loud and brash. I have a built C4 Vette that I love. As a car it's a rattle trap but as a toy it is incredibly fun. Very quick with a square 315 set-up, some Xtrac parts, a rose joint rear control arm set up, giant wilwoods, blah, blah, blah...it shakes and vibrates like a 90's era Trans-Am car. Its brutal and violent, but that is what I want for that type of car. My X1/9 is the polar opposite. The 992 is for daily driving, travel, etc.

A long winded way of saying, that my tastes are for having as many cars as is practical with the caveat that they each inhabit a particular niche that reflect my taste in specific attributes for whatever type of car that i'm interested in. I'm not so much interested in dealer experience.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:01 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Idk if any of you has had the misfortune to deal with a ford dealer lately, but it's a soul crushing experience. I tried to buy the new Bronco. The failed attempt left a terrible taste in my mouth.
Many here would say the same thing about trying to buy a 911 with a Porsche dealer nowadays.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (12-16-2021), Freddie Two Bs (12-16-2021), JiminyGlick (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 01:07 AM
clooloss
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 57 Posts

OT but don't buy a new Bronco yet - too many issues with rattles and squeaks. I was on the list for one but pulled my reservation until they get things sorted. Will probably buy a Ford Ranger Tremor or Rubicon to fill the gap until the Bronco gets QC under control.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:53 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 742 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn

So it occurred to me to look into Lincoln, which is sold out of a corner of a local Ford dealer.

Friday I'm having the car dropped off at my home after dealing with all the paperwork from home. Very happy with the experience.
Most likely Matthew McConaughey will do the delivery! All right, all right all right!!!
Old 12-16-2021, 08:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

To be clear, Porsche dealers are a mass market experience as well. There’s nothing elite about buying a Base Macan.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
To be clear, Porsche dealers are a mass market experience as well. There’s nothing elite about buying a Base Macan.
Definitely not my experience whatsoever. Some Porsche dealers pick your trade up at your house, pick your car up for service (leave a loaner). I can even tell a huge difference between Acura dealers and mass market. Again, some of this is largely dealer dependent. I understand that. But in general, I believe you would find that Porsche and other luxury dealers far and away provide a better experience. I believe that only because of my experiences with both mass market and premium dealers over the years.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:28 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

I think he's referencing the dealership experience. Maybe it's not universal, but I can absolutely agree that the dealership experience for a "common" marque (not sure how to say it without coming off as douchey so let's just go with "common"...) like Ford, Mazda, Subaru, Hyundai, etc., is not the same. You really have to experience it to see the difference. The techs themselves I'll more or less agree- the hands-down most knowledgeable tech I ever met worked at a Lincoln dealer- but the experience is dramatically enhanced with the luxury brands. Even Audi is a HUGE step above.

Not everyone here takes their cars to dealership service so it's just one data point, may or may not be relevant to someone making a purchasing decision.

Back to the "prestige" comment, that's not at all what I was talking about, but I won't say it's not relevant. It's more about fit and finish, and the fact that a 911 is purpose-built as a sports car and shares no parts or development resources with anything that also isn't a sports car. That makes a difference in the "look and feel" department that I was trying to get across. Personally I could care less about prestige as well; on average just considering typical demographics I'd probably rather hang out with a Ford guy than a Ferrari guy anyway. But just talking the cars alone- there's also a significant difference in the driving experience. The Ford will appeal to many, the 911 appeals to me.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-16-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:01 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,226 Likes on 705 Posts

The GT500 sounds incredibly amazing, more on the outside. Very fun car, but to me it ends there. More of a one day/weekend rental type of thing off turo for me.

Driving cons;

You can feel the boaty tendencies of the car. Nowhere near as tossable.

Brakes/Brake feel not so great. Doesn't have the Porsche brake feel. You don't get much bite and you'll find yourself gaining up on slower/stopped cars very quickly then you give it more brakes which leads to a nose dive.

Quick Reply: 992 gts or Shelby gt500 with carbon wheels