Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 gts or Shelby gt500 with carbon wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 07:06 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

In the edmunds video, during the braking test of the shelby, they show how it kinda bounces back and forth when it finally comes to a stop. No thanks. I haven't bounced in a car that I own in years.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:57 PM
DANACO
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a an18’ Camaro ZL1 and now a 19’ 911TTS, no comparison in any respect and will guess a similar sentiment for a GT500. They are so different in every respect a buying compassion can’t be made except for at completely personal level. Regardless of performance, I completely forgot about the Camaro a few days later ! I own an 18’ high performance Ford truck, a Ford is a Ford, not to be confused with a P car.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:41 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

I know this is a very old thread but the GT500 is a car my brother is considering. You can get a low mileage car for $90k or so. First, the GT500 is a great looking car. Sounds great too. 760 hp is a lot of power, and it has 625 foot pounds of torque. So she is going to be a real handful. But considering that any car shouldn’t really be driven hard on the street, it is a nice muscle car for cruising. Looks and sounds better than most 911s and it throws back to that golden era of muscle cars quite well. On the track it is going to take a lot of skill to get those lap times competitive. If i were buying one it would just be the occasional cruiser, and just enjoying what it is. As a muscle car goes, this is right at the top. It gives you everything you could ever want. It has the Shelby name. Ford did a great job. But it is no sports car. I would not even compare it to a 911. It is not better or worse. Just different. I could totally see it as a stable mate to my GT3. I hope my brother gets one so i get to drive it.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:29 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 206 Posts

My experience is with my son's Shelby GT350, which is no longer offered. The flat plane V-8 was magnificent. Handling very good, but not in the GTS's league. I would extrapolate that the GT500 would be a bit more ponderous in handling and wicked fast once hooked up. Looking at numbers and drag races on Youtube, the GTS would get the hole shot and the GT500 would be storming past at around the quarter mile marker.

PS. Only go with C/F wheels when exclusively for track use. If you have them for a daily, carry a heavy enough wallet for replacement wheels.
Old 06-03-2024, 01:37 AM
OnlySoMany
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I believe you would be in the minority, at least in this forum.

There's just a completely different class of street presence, look, and feel between these two cars. It's been said numerous times in this thread alone, many people just can't get away from the fact that the GT500 is still just a mustang. Something you see in a typical American suburb at least 12-15 times a day... with a few extra stripes and decals, and fancy wheels. I'm still of the mind that most folks interested in a 911 just wouldn't be that interested in a mustang, any mustang. There are of course exceptions and the GT500 is a great car. So is the ZL1, Corvette, LC500, AMG GTS, NSX, RS7, M8 and many others... and folks on those brand-specific forums would probably lean their respective directions.
Probably late as hell to this post, but I'd like to add some feedback as a person that has owned both cars (and still own the GT500). I only sold the GT3RS due to it being out of warranty, and I did not want to risk being on the hook for a $100k engine replacement (motor plus install).

No one who is a car person will mistake a CFTP GT500 for a normal Mustang. It looks like a monster. Definitely more aggressive than any other one, including the GT350R (I also had one of those too).

I have extensively tracked both a 2019 991.2 GT3RS and a 2022 GT500. Here are my takeaways.

1. Power. GT500 all day. It's just not the same. The Porsche is the more delicate driving car, but the GT500 is a monster under full throttle. However, the GT3RS makes more use of its power due to less weight. Draw.

2. Handling. I would say this is a draw. Hear me out. I was able to get within half a second of both personal best on a long track (3.98 miles) I was very familiar with. The track has sharp corners, elevation changes, sweepers, on and off camber corners, you name it. Porsche was on Cup 2 R, and Shelby on sport cup 2. The Porsche is a handling dream, but you really have to focus more on what you are doing. The Shelby comes to almost the same time, but it's almost fun by comparison. Ford and Multimatic have tuned the Shelby to be sooooo forgiving, and you kind of just grab it by the scruff of its neck and force it to do it, and it will, lap after lap. Porsche have created a handling beast in the gt3rs, there is no getting around it. But you have to drive it the way Porsche wants you to, to get the most out of it. It has a particular driving style it rewards the most. I'd maybe give the edge to the Shelby, as it's easier to play with at the limit and you can walk it out to the edge of the track with less stress. Idk. Draw.

3. Brakes. Even. Yes the Porsche has the pccb but there is no denying the stopping power of the GT500 brakes. They are massive. Despite the car weighing a lot more, it will do hard braking over, and over, and over. I do like the pedal feel of the Porsche better however, and you can tell the feel is more refined and dialed in. The initial bite of the pccb is better than I have felt in any other car. But as to raw stopping power, repeatedly, it really makes no difference. And the replacement costs are not comparable. Draw.

4. Running costs. I have all the Porsche work done at the dealer, and I do all the Shelby work myself so I do not feel like this is a fair comparison. Draw.

(one item worthy of note is that the track insurance on the Porsche is higher due to a higher vehicle value)

5. Sound. Take your pick, both are epic. The wail of the 4.0 is as good as the roar of the 5.2. And vice versa. Draw.

6. Fuel economy. I know this seems silly, but it's relevant when on track. The Porsche I could do 2 to 3 sessions before having to fill up (had extended range tank) but the Shelby I had to fill up almost after every session. Porsche is by far more fuel efficient. Porsche.

7. Wear. By the end of each weekend, both sets of tires on both cars were cooked and bald. I would give the slight edge to the Shelby here, as despite being much heavier it used it's tires just as much, not worse. Both cars are running around the same camber, as around -2.6 and -2.4. Porsche was also corner balanced. Shelby.

8. Steering feel. Porsche has better turn in and mid corner feel, Shelby has better corner exit feel. Shelby needs carbon fiber wheels to feel it's best. I've run both regular and carbon. Best in track mode. Porsche.

I can go on, but you'd be splitting hairs between them. Both are excellent cars for different reasons. It's easy to throw fun at the Shelby for being just a Mustang, but it's just as fast, if not faster on some tracks, for 100k less (now even more due to any Porsche GT cars being insanely priced). I think the Porsche is overall better built and technically a better driving car, but the answer is to have both. Then you will see what I mean.

These are just my personal experiences based on tracking both repeatedly.

Anyone who denies how badass either car is will likely change their mind when either is flying up in their mirror 😂

Enjoy the cars fellas. We live in an awesome car time period.

Last edited by OnlySoMany; 06-03-2024 at 01:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnlySoMany:
96redLT4 (06-03-2024), tps7c (06-26-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 gts or Shelby gt500 with carbon wheels