Sponsored by:

PDCC TO GET OR NOT ON GTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 10:00 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts
Default PDCC TO GET OR NOT ON GTS

I am going back and forth on this option. Def getting RWS. Is PDCC worth it and why or why not? TIA
The following users liked this post:
MattT1685 (12-04-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:13 PM
Wiems
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it is a personal decision. If I were going to track the car, go with the PCCB's. otherwise, the steel brakes are more than adequate, and don't cost 3500 bucks for a set of replacements.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:20 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,478 Likes on 2,816 Posts

You’re going to have a lot of people telling you that PDCC is only worthwhile in a large heavy car, etc. etc.

I’ll tell you this much. My Turbo S has PDCC and I previously had a C2S without it and a 991.2 Turbo without it (both had rear active steering/RAS). The TTS corners like it’s on rails with very responsive steering and excellent turn in. It is a blast to dive around corners. It doesn’t feel like any other AWD car I’ve owned.

I suspect PDCC has a lot to do with this (not to mention RAS). Obviously, I can’t prove that. Just a suspicion.

If you can find a car with and without it, that would obviously best (unfortunately not likely an option for you).

Last edited by rk-d; 11-27-2021 at 10:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
LSM111 (11-27-2021), mobilis (11-28-2021), vic55 (12-05-2023)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 PM
LSM111
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiems;[url=tel:17811267
17811267[/url]]I think it is a personal decision. If I were going to track the car, go with the PCCB's. otherwise, the steel brakes are more than adequate, and don't cost 3500 bucks for a set of replacements.
PDCC - Porsche dynamic chasis control. Not PCCB which I am not contemplating.
The following 2 users liked this post by LSM111:
HelpMeHelpU (11-29-2021), Scott P (11-28-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:21 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

I think the ask was about PDCC not PCCB's. I had PDCC on my last 2 and the cars where very planted. I never drove one without so I can't make a comparison. I did spec it on my build, I don't want to find out I miss it.
LSM111 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:31 PM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LSM111
I am going back and forth on this option. Def getting RWS. Is PDCC worth it and why or why not? TIA
I was spec'ing RWS and not PDCC until I sat with my SA to go over my build. SA indicated PDCC kinda fines tunes each drive mode. So normal, might be a little softer or stiffer based on inputs.
Same for Sport and Sport Plus, so I decided to add PDCC, might be helpful for the 6 or so track days I do per year. Already over 180K, so WTF is another 2K, right.
Also interested for someone with precise knowledge to chime in.
LSM111 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:32 PM
JRW1
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
I think the ask was about PDCC not PCCB's. I had PDCC on my last 2 and the cars where very planted. I never drove one without so I can't make a comparison. I did spec it on my build, I don't want to find out I miss it.
I also included it in my recent build. Spending what we do on these cars, why not include an option that many who have it swear by it? To me, it’s a no brainer.
The following 3 users liked this post by JRW1:
Gohoos (12-03-2021), LSM111 (11-27-2021), NastyHabits (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 10:35 PM
NastyHabits
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 158 Posts

Copied and pasted from Porsche:New Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) is an active roll stabilisation system with an ultra sporty setup. It registers the lateral inclination of the body induced by cornering from the very outset and acts to suppress it. The system also reduces the lateral instability of the vehicle on uneven ground.

The new system sees the introduction of active electromechanical anti-roll bars. These provide a much faster response and are tuned for sporty driving. The result: improved performance.

In combination with new PDCC Sport, PTV Plus enhances driving dynamics and stability. As a function of steering angle and steering speed, accelerator pedal position, yaw rate and vehicle speed, it improves steering response and precision by strategic braking of the right or left rear wheel. At high speeds and when accelerating out of corners, the electronically controlled rear differential lock with fully variable torque distribution also acts to provide greater driving stability and traction.

The overall result? Strong resistance to destabilising side forces for self-assured poise. Excellent traction. Great agility at every speed – with precise turn-in and well-balanced load transfer characteristics. And, accordingly, even more fun in the corners.

LSM111 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 09:18 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by NastyHabits
Copied and pasted from Porsche:New Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport) is an active roll stabilisation system with an ultra sporty setup. It registers the lateral inclination of the body induced by cornering from the very outset and acts to suppress it. The system also reduces the lateral instability of the vehicle on uneven ground.

The new system sees the introduction of active electromechanical anti-roll bars. These provide a much faster response and are tuned for sporty driving. The result: improved performance.

In combination with new PDCC Sport, PTV Plus enhances driving dynamics and stability. As a function of steering angle and steering speed, accelerator pedal position, yaw rate and vehicle speed, it improves steering response and precision by strategic braking of the right or left rear wheel. At high speeds and when accelerating out of corners, the electronically controlled rear differential lock with fully variable torque distribution also acts to provide greater driving stability and traction.

The overall result? Strong resistance to destabilising side forces for self-assured poise. Excellent traction. Great agility at every speed – with precise turn-in and well-balanced load transfer characteristics. And, accordingly, even more fun in the corners.
Looks like I'll play devil's advocate here. I'm sure Porsche put tons of engineering effort into PDCC, and for that alone it might be worth it to many. It's a hot gizmo from some very smart people; I'm sure it makes a difference somewhere.

But I challenge anyone to find someone who says a 911 is crap without it.

For me what sealed the deal against it is hearing people say that it feels "artificial" (same accusation is levied at rear axle steering FWIW...)- and that it has been reported to make passengers feel nauseous. My wife is already susceptible to this, to hell if I'm going to pay $2k to risk making it worse!
LSM111 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 12:15 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Looks like I'll play devil's advocate here. I'm sure Porsche put tons of engineering effort into PDCC, and for that alone it might be worth it to many. It's a hot gizmo from some very smart people; I'm sure it makes a difference somewhere.

But I challenge anyone to find someone who says a 911 is crap without it.

For me what sealed the deal against it is hearing people say that it feels "artificial" (same accusation is levied at rear axle steering FWIW...)- and that it has been reported to make passengers feel nauseous. My wife is already susceptible to this, to hell if I'm going to pay $2k to risk making it worse!
911 without PDCC is definitely not crap. It’s just that PDCC arguably makes it better.

I think nausea complaints are a little dramatic. If you are driving hard enough to make PDCC induce nausea, I suspect it’s the driving itself that’s doing it.

In terms of feeling artificial - I really haven’t picked that up. Let’s be honest - the “purity” train left a long time ago. These cars are high tech spaceships compared to a pure “old school” sports car. Ironically, the turn in and cornering feel of my TTS is closer to my 993 w/ RS suspension than any 911 I’ve previously owned (note that I’m not including my old GT4, nor any GT3 cars in that comparison.)

IMO, the biggest argument against PDCC is that it’s an additional complex electro-hydraulic system and potential failure point.

Last edited by rk-d; 11-28-2021 at 12:18 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by rk-d:
AlterZgo (11-28-2021), dhirm5 (11-28-2021), LSM111 (11-28-2021), manifold danger (11-29-2021), mobilis (11-28-2021), rasetsu (09-18-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2021, 04:18 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The PDCC can’t be ordered without the RWS. If RWS is making a small cross section of people uncomfortable, how can the PDCC be to blame ?You can’t separate them, and PDCC reduces roll; which is far more likely to stabilize the inner ear and reduce nausea etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Benedict14:
LSM111 (11-28-2021), OMTarga4S (04-14-2022)
Old 11-28-2021, 04:25 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 187 Posts

My wife is already susceptible to this, to hell if I'm going to pay $2k to risk making it worse!

Some would pay the extra $2000 to keep their wives out of the car, I'm lucky my wife doesn't like riding in it anyway.
The following 3 users liked this post by ENCT:
1985Targa (08-04-2022), fractionofawhole (12-02-2021), LSM111 (11-30-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 04:50 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Yes to PDCC. I had it in my last 911, and that thing's driving dynamics were incredible. When I contemplated skipping on the new build, my SA said "don't go backwards". That is enough for me.

Since it was mentioned, no to PCCB. 10k for reduced brake dust doesn't clear my value threshold. You may disagree. Nice to have choices.
LSM111 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 06:38 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,329 Likes on 622 Posts

I was in the same position as you, debating PDCC at length when speccing my car. I originally had it on my order sheet and decided to opt out in the end. What I found is that deciding on PDCC really depends what you are after: sportiness or comfort. What I have learned through my research is that PDCC is more of a "comfort" option than a "performance" one on the 911. PDCC makes the ride more compliant by reducing the roll stiffness when going straight. I bought my 992 as a dual use car: daily driver and track toy, so track performance had a big weight in the balance for me. What swayed (pun intended ) me away from PDCC is the AM&S Supertest article that mentioned that PDCC made the handing less predictable at the limit. Of note, GT cars go about without PDCC, but do have RWS. Further, by opting of both PDCC and FAL yields a weight, parasitic drag and complexity reduction from the omission of the required additional oil pressure system.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-28-2021 at 06:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
LSM111 (11-29-2021), SBAD (12-07-2023), typehxr1 (12-02-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 07:32 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I was in the same position as you, debating PDCC at length when speccing my car. I originally had it on my order sheet and decided to opt out in the end. What I found is that deciding on PDCC really depends what you are after: sportiness or comfort. What I have learned through my research is that PDCC is more of a "comfort" option than a "performance" one on the 911. PDCC makes the ride more compliant by reducing the roll stiffness when going straight. I bought my 992 as a dual use car: daily driver and track toy, so track performance had a big weight in the balance for me. What swayed (pun intended ) me away from PDCC is the AM&S Supertest article that mentioned that PDCC made the handing less predictable at the limit. Of note, GT cars go about without PDCC, but do have RWS. Further, by opting of both PDCC and FAL yields a weight, parasitic drag and complexity reduction from the omission of the required additional oil pressure system.

My theory on PDCC - it allows both comfort and performance oriented sway bar characteristics on demand.

In a relatively no compromise car like a GT3 - Porsche can freely spec stiff anti roll bars without regard for comfort issues and save complexity and weight by doing so.

On a Carrera/TTS, this is not a great choice for an all-rounder car. PDCC allows comfortable roll stiffness, with completely flat cornering when needed. Without it, you have to make choices in sway bar design to compromise between comfort and performance. PDCC allows the best of both worlds. The trade off is complexity and expense (weight, too, though probably minimal)

Like I said - that's my theory. It seems true IRL, but I haven't hammered this car on a track. I did do a Porsche Experience in a TTS, which is not a super aggressive session (maybe 110-115 mph tops), but the car didn't feel unpredictable, FWIW. It did feel different, but in a good way (I thought).

I'd love to back to back a TT and TTS to truly see the difference PDCC makes.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
LSM111 (11-29-2021), Victory911 (02-10-2024)

Quick Reply: PDCC TO GET OR NOT ON GTS