Sponsored by:

PDCC TO GET OR NOT ON GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 02:50 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by RRich
First Porsche coming from a 2015 M4. Had the opportunity to track my PDCC C2S with Goodyear Supercar3 tires, and Ferodo DS3.12 brakes. The car was amazing in so many ways. Since this is my first time tracking a rear engine car didn’t push it too hard, but still managed a better time than my M4. There’s a lot of potential in this car. Didn’t notice any downsides of PDCC on this day, and this track, but did get a comment from a guy following me who noticed my car stays perfectly flat in turns. Hoping this will translate to improved tire wear. A tire temp check was pretty even, but didn’t get off the track fast enough for an accurate measurement. This car is so much easier to drive fast compared to my M4 it almost feels like cheating. If you’ll be tracking I would consider getting PDCC.
I am also an avid track enthusiast (I do 20~25 track days per year) and I've also had a 2015 M4 that eventually replaced it with a 2019 M4cs on MP-HAS. The M4 did have a fair bit of roll, the M4cs was a much better track car, but also rolled much more than my current 992TT. I am quite impressed by how flat my TT corners with S-PASM but without PDCC, and that is with N2 spec PSC2. After I figured proper alignment and pressures, and I am getting nice temperature distribution and wear across the tread. Interestingly, I elected to opt out of PDCC because of the track work.
Old 12-02-2021, 02:56 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
PDCC is certainly not a must-have. That said, I have it. But, I regularly track my car. If your car is mostly a city/highway car, you can likely move on and save the money or put
it towards another option.
I bought my 992TT as a dual use car: daily driver and track toy. I'd say it is the other way around. PDCC further emphasizes the difference between performance and comfort. It is able to offer a more compliant ride for a street driven car, that stiffens up roll when needed. So it it is a great option for a daily driver. Since my car sees a fair bit of track time (20~25 days per year), I decided not get PDCC on mine favouring the weight savings and at the limit handling predictability.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
I bought my 992TT as a dual use car: daily driver and track toy. I'd say it is the other way around. PDCC further emphasizes the difference between performance and comfort. It is able to offer a more compliant ride for a street driven car, that stiffens up roll when needed. So it it is a great option for a daily driver. Since my car sees a fair bit of track time (20~25 days per year), I decided not get PDCC on mine favouring the weight savings and at the limit handling predictability.
Bingo.

PDCC is better for a dual purpose car than for a track-focused one.

PDCC provides more the sensation of stability than actual stability. And the sensation of stability does not necessarily make you go faster around a squiggly circular road.
The following users liked this post:
CanAutM3 (12-02-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 05:38 PM
RRich
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

"PDCC provides more the sensation of stability than actual stability. And the sensation of stability does not necessarily make you go faster around a squiggly circular road."

This is not accurate. PDCC is hardly smoke and mirrors. The video in comment #23 clearly demonstrates a 0.565 sec advantage over a non PDCC equipped 911 for a 66 sec lap. That’s not insignificant.

PDCC has several key differences over a passive anti-roll bar system. PDCC can respond intelligently based on what the car is actually doing vs a passive anti-roll bar that only responds one way. The optimal response will be dependent on whether the car is turning, encountering left side bumps turning left, encountering left side bumps going straight… many combinations.

On smooth tracks both vehicles will behave similar except for less roll in turns for PDCC resulting in higher lateral grip, and faster lap times.

On tracks with bumpy sections PDCC and a passive anti-roll bar will behave somewhat differently particularly when the bumps only effect one side of the car. When bumps are encounter on one side of the car on a straight do you want the whole car upset as an indication of speed or note minimal action is required in roll, absorb the bump on move on? I think the PDCC response is better, but if you have many laps on the Nordschleife and you don’t get your familiar speed cues at that section of track then you view this as a big negative. For anyone learning to drive the Nordschleife or any track in a PDCC car they would simply develop different speed cues, and take advantage of the higher lateral grip and more planted ride.

Take an example of a high speed left turn with a bump only effecting the left side of the car near the apex. How do PDCC and passive anti-roll system respond? The passive anti-roll bar will keep the car fairly level coming into the apex. As the car encounters the bump on the left side this will compress the left wheel (same response as a right turn) resulting in right body roll due to right wheel moving up by action of the anti-roll bar. This is an undesirable response, but will provide good speed cues, and drama. I have direct experience with this corner and this is exactly how my M4 responds. Car will be less planted and can get loose if you’re close to the limit. PDCC will ensure the car is flat coming into the apex. As the car encounters the bump on the left side it will note the car is turning left and focus on maintaining a level attitude no need to involve right side of the car keeping it planted with less drama, and providing higher lateral grip.

The final point is At the limit handling predictability. I can see how PDCC could effect this, but more highly a function of tires, and how lateral grip drops off beyond the limit. Since in order to get higher lateral grip tires on both sides are going to be closer to their limit. When this limit is exceeded if the lateral grip drops off in a predictable manner then I would not expect any difficulties for PDCC. This is my theory at this point, have yet to test it. At my last track day the car slid a few times after tires got hot and greasy. Very predictable, but need to explore under max grip conditions.
The following 5 users liked this post by RRich:
dhirm5 (12-03-2021), Grimz (09-05-2023), NastyHabits (12-03-2021), null (04-07-2023), vic55 (12-05-2023)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by av12345
I have a Targa GTS on order and am still struggling with both the PDCC and FAL debates.

I won’t be tracking the car but with everything I’ve read with the higher center of gravity PDCC actually could make a lot of sense for spirited driving. Would love to know what other 992 Targa owners think (but realize these questions always boil down to personal preference).

As for FAL - being in NYC I think it makes sense but that being said - the Targa doesn’t have SPASM so perhaps that is also just unnecessary…

These two options combined though add up quickly…
I was in the same boat for my Targa 4S. I had the 992 C4S (manual) with RAS (no PDCC or FAL).

For the Targa 4S I opted for PDCC and RAS - no FAL. With a little more top heavy on the targa, thought RAS and PDCC would be of benefit. I also loved the RAS in my 992 C4S.

I did not opt for FAL on my first 992 or the new Targa, I drive in Cincy and Chicago often, never had it on my 992 Coupe, never had an issue, outside a few curbs that I took at a little more cautious angle to be sure. With the Targa not having SPASM it should be pretty close to 5.8 inches of clearing (if you do not have the sports facia - which I did not) you do on the GTS, so probably about .5 lower at most. I have found on my other sports cars (which all have FAL), once you are below 4 inches, that is when you really need to have it in all conditions.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:49 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

I added PDCC to my Targa GTS but for reasons on the other end of the spectrum. From what I have read, it actually serves to provide a nicer ride on rough surfaces and i feel that will be a benefit in a DD. I don't plan to track my car (I know, the shame!), so the added "at the limit" handling benefits are not really a benefit to me.
LSM111 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 08:12 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Believe it or not, I think if I had to re-spec my car, I might leave RWS off. Not sure if it is responsible (or helps) the front tires "skitch" when pulling out or backing out, but man, that still drives me nuts - and yes, while I'm sure it helps with the turns, I can't stop but constantly wonder "would the car feel more "natural" without this RWS option?"
My 991.2 GTS lacks both and 48K miles later I am still happy with it . I am one who likes simplicity . I generally dont like the idea of technological driving aids but I decided to try RWS . I was hesitant .
I do believe the RWS will benefit the car in street driving and add a new flavor to a more traditional driver .

My early Porsches had nothing . No beeping , no lane change , no bluetooth , nada ! I miss this sometimes and am not ready to dive in .
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
doug_999 (12-05-2021), LSM111 (12-05-2021)
Old 12-05-2021, 09:27 PM
Riazah
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had both RAS and PDCC on my 991.2 GTS. I did not really see the benefit of PDCC unless you intend to track the car so on my GTS order left it out and went with RAS which I feel really is useful for daily driving.
Old 09-18-2023, 07:38 PM
1MORLAP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it, and it's broken. If you read the reliability threads, you will not want it. It is a liability if you want to keep the car past its warranty.
Charles Everson (09-30-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I really don't notice the PDCC on my 991.1 Turbo S. I pushed it on today coming home across the mountain. Could not really tell much. The biggest is normal mode then hit simply Sport , not sport plus, and I really feel the difference by a huge margin when in Sport. Not sure what this means to me or anyone else. I will test more tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:08 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Just a note to self. I had to check on the PDCC thing. I thought I could wait until tomorrow. But I had to know. Just went out. Seems that I drive 99% of the time without PDCC punched on while driving the Turbo S.
This includes running the Tail of the Dragon is with Sport button , not sport plus, and no PDCC. So..... I just never push it on.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Patek
Just a note to self. I had to check on the PDCC thing. I thought I could wait until tomorrow. But I had to know. Just went out. Seems that I drive 99% of the time without PDCC punched on while driving the Turbo S.
This includes running the Tail of the Dragon is with Sport button , not sport plus, and no PDCC. So..... I just never push it on.
Just to be clear, PDCC is alway "ON". It is not possible to switch it "OFF". The "PDCC/damper" button on the dash toggles between a more comfort oriented program (Normal) and a sportier one (Sport) for the combined PASM damping and PDCC anti-roll stabilization systems.
Patek (12-04-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Oh Ok, I just don't know what the button in the center that say PDCC... I never push it on. So then you are saying I have PDCC on even when the button is not pushed on.... I did not know this. Good information.
The funny thing is I am looking at a car without PDCC from 2014 the 50th anniversary edition. The poor Turbo S just does not kick my gears, has no sound, very soulless to drive. But..... dang it is fast, and the front grip is off the planet. That is impressive and the brakes are so great. I will miss those. Just came out of a Ferrari 458 and I miss the sound.
So now I am confused as to whether I can live without PDCC....... ahhh... the journey goes on.
Old 12-04-2023, 08:40 PM
Patek
Rennlist Member

Sure enough, according to the innerweb read the below. So........... don't know if I could live without it or not. I hate body roll. You guys are breaking my heart. Because ,Now I think I need it and that takes out the 50th anniversary.

PDCC is always on
. The button just indicates that your car is outfitted with PDCC. The only thing the button does is change the chassis from the normal to the sport chassis. In other words, PDCC cannot be turned off or on, even though the button would lead one to think otherwise...
HOTCHKIS (12-05-2023)
Old 12-04-2023, 08:47 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Patek
Sure enough, according to the innerweb read the below. So........... don't know if I could live without it or not. I hate body roll. You guys are breaking my heart. Because ,Now I think I need it and that takes out the 50th anniversary.

PDCC is always on
. The button just indicates that your car is outfitted with PDCC. The only thing the button does is change the chassis from the normal to the sport chassis. In other words, PDCC cannot be turned off or on, even though the button would lead one to think otherwise...
The “below” you quote from the interweb is not fully accurate either.

If you look at the button closely, you’ll notice it also has a damper icon. That button on cars without PDCC only shows the damper icon and toggles the PASM program between NORMAL and SPORT. On cars with PDCC, the button adds the PDCC acronym to highlight the fact that both PASM and PDCC programs are altered. PDCC is always “ON”, but behaves differently in the NORMAL and SPORT chassis setting.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-04-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: PDCC TO GET OR NOT ON GTS