Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my base 992 build - locking in a few days!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 01:02 AM
ZeroLoss
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Critique my base 992 build - locking in a few days!

Hey All,

Long story short I was able to get a 992 Base allocation; I have the ability to afford the S but it is going to be a 1-2 year wait with the dealers around me. However, I feel like I am over-optioned at this point...

A few questions
i) How important is Lane Change Assist? Never had a car with this but heard most 911's have it
ii) Will standard audio and not having Bose hurt resale? I am not that picky about sound so not sure if the standard audio is fine
iii) PCCBs - I keep going back and forth on these. I feel like they're a good deal from the base model since it's the same price vs. the S upgrades even though you're starting w/ bigger brakes in the S. Also heard brake dust is much easier to manage, and I am not sure if the standard base brakes will look too small with the upgraded wheels. Lastly, I live in the PNW so it will be rainy for a big portion of the deal - I heard that PCCBs may not work well in the wet?
iv) What other options would you get rid of? I read that the average base model options is ~$20K so I am way over

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNGELZ77

Chalk
Leather Interior in Black/Bordeaux Red
Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
"911" Logo on Rear in High Gloss Black

8-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Exhaust System incl. Tailpipes in Black
Extended Range Fuel Tank (23.7 gal.)
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes (PCCB) with Calipers in Yellow
20"/21" Carrera S Wheels
Wheels Painted in Satin Black
Surround View
Ambient Lighting
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package
PDK Gear Selector in Aluminum
Total Price*
$137,480

Thanks all.

Last edited by ZeroLoss; 11-15-2021 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:17 AM
supershaft
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 158 Posts

is a used S an option for you?

they aren't being sold at too high of a markup and you get it now
Old 11-15-2021, 01:38 AM
La Carrera
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I would add the Adaptive Cruise Control option. A must if you spend any time in traffic. Nice build.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,858 Likes on 5,177 Posts

I think LCA is totally unnecessary in a small-ish sports coupe like the 911. A Panamera or Cayenne? Sure. 911? No.

Bose will not hurt resale on a base.

I definitely would opt for the PCCBs because if I had one critique of the base (other than the LSD) is that it is underbraked for a sports car of 911 genetics.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:35 AM
ZeroLoss
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think LCA is totally unnecessary in a small-ish sports coupe like the 911. A Panamera or Cayenne? Sure. 911? No.

Bose will not hurt resale on a base.

I definitely would opt for the PCCBs because if I had one critique of the base (other than the LSD) is that it is underbraked for a sports car of 911 genetics.
Do you know if I option the PCCBs on the base model, can I switch them to steel/irons later on if they get damaged? Scared of the $25K replacement cost in case it chips.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:42 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 953 Posts

I would not option PCCBs on a base. That's a really $$ option on a base car and you won't get it back on resale.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
dhirm5 (11-15-2021), Epeeist (11-23-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 05:27 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

I have mixed feelings on the build . You must realize that dealership lots used to have 911's . They were spec at a price point and always seems poorly optioned . The reason was that dealership tried to keep them in leasing parameters . If they surpass the MRM number the payment go up . This way a walk in buyer could either buy or lease the same car with gave the seller a variety of clients .

Buying the car (as I have always done) means that if it is over optioned it gets crushed in resale . Thus it becomes a longer term commitment . Its even worse with a base car because its an entry level 911 . I do undersrjad ceramics but I dont understand ceramics plus a glass roof . Ceramic brakes are a performance part used to reduce weight and then you add it back right in the center of the car . I am actually getting ceramics plus a carbon roof . On a base car in chalk it not only looks nice but is a sport build .

Usually I like somewhat stripped base cars but I also realize we are in a totally different car buying market than I have ever seen . As for lane change assist it really is a nice feature but its also laziness . I read posts on the Macan forum where the entire subject is the technology so there are some people who this isa. must . One of my cars is an 07 car and it has none of this stuff . I love it without the nannies .

I would do it but cut the roof ... either go steel roof or carbon and get there PCCB . Keep the car long tern though.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:57 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

I'd also skip the PCCB brake option and instead get the Premium Package. So much nice stuff comes in the Premium Package (a bit of "fluff" like ambient lighting) that I would really hate to not have it. I think having a base with PCCB yet no Premium Package is "odd". The wheels you have chosen look easy enough to clean - there are also aftermarket brake pads with less dust that can be obtained for pennies compared to the PCCB option.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:38 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,164 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroLoss
A few questions
i) How important is Lane Change Assist? Never had a car with this but heard most 911's have it
ii) Will standard audio and not having Bose hurt resale? I am not that picky about sound so not sure if the standard audio is fine
iii) PCCBs - I keep going back and forth on these. I feel like they're a good deal from the base model since it's the same price vs. the S upgrades even though you're starting w/ bigger brakes in the S. Also heard brake dust is much easier to manage, and I am not sure if the standard base brakes will look too small with the upgraded wheels. Lastly, I live in the PNW so it will be rainy for a big portion of the deal - I heard that PCCBs may not work well in the wet?
iv) What other options would you get rid of? I read that the average base model options is ~$20K so I am way over
Here are my thoughts
i) The 992 LCA is a very nice implementation that pays for itself at the first near miss. It's incredibly expensive to add after the fact. No one regrets LCA. Search RennList and you'll find folks regret that they skipped it.
ii) Don't build a car for "resale". Build it for your experience. That being said, Base audio has no business in a $140k car.
iii) PCCBs dramatically reduce the amount of dust, but performance in the cold and wet will wake you up if they're not warmed up. Oh, and they'll cool off while you're cruising around in the cold. Given that you live in the PNW, you're going to encounter both cold and wet. If you're planning to drive the 911 as a car vs just going to Cars & Coffee, I'd skip them and spend some of that money on a leather interior, Bose, ACC, etc.
iv) Ditching the PCCBs will bring the price back into line. I would seriously consider the Premium package if you really want power folding mirrors, LCA, and surround view. It would add the Bose and the PDLS+ (non-Matrix) headlights which are entirely useful if you're driving in the PNW.

In summary... Ditch the PCCBs. Add the Premium Package. Consider a leather interior.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
breny4104 (11-15-2021), Go Bruins (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:42 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,164 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
As for lane change assist it really is a nice feature but its also laziness . I read posts on the Macan forum where the entire subject is the technology so there are some people who this is a must
To be clear, the Macan implementation of LCA blows -- it's astoundingly bad.
The 992 LCA is a different system and it's in a totally different league.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:56 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
To be clear, the Macan implementation of LCA blows -- it's astoundingly bad.
The 992 LCA is a different system and it's in a totally different league.
I wasn't comparing it to a Macan . I also have a 991.2 GTS (it was a lot car) . It has it too. I just feel its lazy to rely on the technology . A driver who is alert to his environment drove decades without it with no issues . Those same drivers are saying it's a :"must have" instead of a nice feature. In short its not essential .
Old 11-15-2021, 09:57 AM
TR772
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN86VQ14

This is my build that is days from being produced.... I think it's perfect for a base - performance/looks/luxurious interior (I don't need a bunch of electronic options).... Very similar color/interior.

Last edited by TR772; 11-15-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 761 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I wasn't comparing it to a Macan . I also have a 991.2 GTS (it was a lot car) . It has it too. I just feel its lazy to rely on the technology . A driver who is alert to his environment drove decades without it with no issues . Those same drivers are saying it's a :"must have" instead of a nice feature. In short its not essential .
old-man-yelling-at-cloud.png

Of course there’s no excuse for not being aware of your surroundings. And realistically, LCA might just turn giant “oh sh*t” moments into smaller “oh sh*t” moments where instead of almost colliding with someone who honks at you to stop you, the car alerts you and you decide more quickly that it’s not yet safe to make a lane change.

but it’s not that expensive of an option, and peace of mind is worth a lot imo. I’m willing to bet no one in the history of ever has seriously regretted fitting LCA, but lots of people have seriously regretted NOT ticking that box.
The following 2 users liked this post by zachr:
detansinn (11-15-2021), dhirm5 (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:12 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 136 Posts

Ditch the PCCB brakes, $0 return on investment and $200 worth of wheel specific ceramic coating will make dealing with brake dust much easier.
Had a 2021 base 992 with standard black interior and now have a 2022 base 992 with full leather Blk/chalk. Standard black with leather package is a great compromise as it provides stitched leather on all the area you look at while driving.
Both 992's had/have 20/21" wheels and look normal. The configurator makes them look smaller.
LCA is a very good option especially if you drive busy roads/interstates. Surround view not so much as is ambient lighting.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:29 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you serious on the 1-2 year wait on a S?

Quick Reply: Critique my base 992 build - locking in a few days!