Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my base 992 build - locking in a few days!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2021, 01:35 PM
ZeroLoss
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Are you serious on the 1-2 year wait on a S?
Yes...let me know if anyone has heard differently but all dealers around me don't have an S allocation for at least 1 year, and even then it's above MSRP.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:43 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ClickClickBoom
Are you serious on the 1-2 year wait on a S?
My S.A. is telling new customers 12-18 months. So, yes.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:05 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 260 Posts

Surprised so many people saying to skip the cc brakes. I think they look amazing and zero brake dust is worth the price of admission. Super pricey of course, but gotta pay to play.

If you search the dozens of posts asking about cc brakes you will find its near unanimous of people who have them saying they love them and wouldnt order a Porsche without them again.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:14 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 761 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Surprised so many people saying to skip the cc brakes. I think they look amazing and zero brake dust is worth the price of admission. Super pricey of course, but gotta pay to play.

If you search the dozens of posts asking about cc brakes you will find its near unanimous of people who have them saying they love them and wouldnt order a Porsche without them again.
I have PCCBs on my GTS spec currently but it's a tough call. For the $160/mo financed over 5 years, I could almost get a professional detail job monthly. No brake dust becomes a harder sell with that in mind. Plus, I'll have the car PPF'd and ceramic coated -- including the wheels -- regardless of my PCCB choice, so brake dust might not be a big deal anyways. I've also heard that shaving 10lbs of unsprung rotational mass per corner is very noticeable in driving dynamics though. I wonder how much of that is people trying to justify/rationalize their option expenditures.

Other than price, the downsides seem inconsequential to me though -- that's situational, of course. It would take a freak accident to damage the rotors during normal everyday use if I understand correctly -- a rock finding its way into my rotors seems highly unlikely, for example. It doesn't get particularly cold here so 1) performance should rarely be an issue and 2) I don't swap for winter/summer wheels and tires and risk damaging the rotors then. If a dealer breaks my PCCBs working on my car that sounds like their problem more than mine.

So basically: do I like the look and lack of brake dust enough to spend $9k, or ~$160/mo, on PCCBs? That's sort of a tough sell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by zachr; 11-15-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: premature submission
Old 11-15-2021, 03:27 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,461 Likes on 801 Posts

Because opinions are like a$$holes, I'll add mine: PCCB on a base is odd imo. I'd rather use that cash to upgrade to an S or GTS. LCA is a no brainer at it's minimal cost. Agree w others on premium pak and leather, a 100k sports car without leather and basic luxury bits is ... bizarre at best.

The intelligent cruise control stuff -- that makes it so your commute is easer, I guess -- can be skipped w prejudice imo. Driver aids that accelerate/brake for you (or steer) do not belong in a 911. When you find yourself ticking those boxes, you should be switching to a benz GT car or equivalent.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:40 PM
TR772
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts

Premium package is a waste of money. You only need a few of the items, so just carve them out individually...
  • Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+) - Yawn.
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System - GOOD
  • Surround View - This is a badass sports car, not an SUV your terrible driving wife takes to the mall and salon.
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA) - Refer to above.
  • Ventilated Seats (Front) - GOOD
  • Power Folding Mirrors incl. Courtesy Lighting - Do you live in New York City ? If not, then pass...
  • Ambient Lighting - Waste
  • Storage Package - Waste

Last edited by TR772; 11-15-2021 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:48 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR772
Premium package is a waste of money. You only need a few of the items, so just carve them out individually...
Couldn't disagree more. Everything in this list belongs in a 100k sports car.

-- quoted from configurator --

Includes:
  • Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • Surround View
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Ventilated Seats (Front)
  • Power Folding Mirrors incl. Courtesy Lighting
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Storage Package
The following users liked this post:
Go Bruins (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 03:52 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Originally Posted by zachr
I have PCCBs on my GTS spec currently but it's a tough call. For the $160/mo financed over 5 years, I could almost get a professional detail job monthly. No brake dust becomes a harder sell with that in mind. Plus, I'll have the car PPF'd and ceramic coated -- including the wheels -- regardless of my PCCB choice, so brake dust might not be a big deal anyways. I've also heard that shaving 10lbs of unsprung rotational mass per corner is very noticeable in driving dynamics though. I wonder how much of that is people trying to justify/rationalize their option expenditures.

Other than price, the downsides seem inconsequential to me though -- that's situational, of course. It would take a freak accident to damage the rotors during normal everyday use if I understand correctly -- a rock finding its way into my rotors seems highly unlikely, for example. It doesn't get particularly cold here so 1) performance should rarely be an issue and 2) I don't swap for winter/summer wheels and tires and risk damaging the rotors then. If a dealer breaks my PCCBs working on my car that sounds like their problem more than mine.

So basically: do I like the look and lack of brake dust enough to spend $9k, or ~$160/mo, on PCCBs? That's sort of a tough sell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I 100% get what you are saying and no one would argue that the PCCB arent super expensive. Being "worth" the cost is purely subjective. If seeing those beautiful yellow calipers and huge disks makes your smile that much larger each time you look at your 992 then its worth it. Lets be honest, no one NEEDS the PCCB - its purely emotional as is virtually every option available for a Porsche.

On another note and not directed at you zach, why are several people saying that pccb dont belong on a base 992? Is that snobbery or am I inferring incorrectly here? Base, S, GTS...to me the PCCB are a an expensive emotional/luxury add-on regardless. Not sure why the base would be any less worthy to receive this.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:54 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Couldn't disagree more. Everything in this list belongs in a 100k sports car.

-- quoted from configurator --

Includes:
  • Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System
  • Surround View
  • Lane Change Assist (LCA)
  • Ventilated Seats (Front)
  • Power Folding Mirrors incl. Courtesy Lighting
  • Ambient Lighting
  • Storage Package

I would argue cc brakes belong on a $100k sports car more than any of that stuff
Old 11-15-2021, 03:54 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

On another note and not directed at you zach, why are several people saying that pccb dont belong on a base 992? Is that snobbery or am I inferring incorrectly here? Base, S, GTS...to me the PCCB are a an expensive emotional/luxury add-on regardless. Not sure why the base would be any less worthy to receive this.
Fair question. For me, it's not snobbery. if you opt for what I consider an over the top upgrade on braking, you should have begun with the upgraded powertrain. Many will disagree.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:59 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I would argue cc brakes belong on a $100k sports car more than any of that stuff
But you get all this **** for 5k, and it improves nearly every interaction with your car on a daily basis. PCCB you pay 10k, and get to not look at brake dust. Unless OP is in the 1% of people that actually *need* the improved braking performance, that's literally the only benefit. Unless looking at gold calipers makes you happy -- despite having paid 10k for them, in which case you can't be helped.

If someone really needs better brakes, it's worth looking at brembo big brake kits, which you can get for your base 911 for under 10k.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:59 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Fair question. For me, it's not snobbery. if you opt for what I consider an over the top upgrade on braking, you should have begun with the upgraded powertrain. Many will disagree.
I get what you're saying. I could be wrong, but I think most people who check the box for PCCB do so because they like the tech, look, no dust, premium option, etc and not because they feel the stopping power of the standard brakes are inadequate.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:00 PM
ZeroLoss
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree except as mentioned, no S allocations for 12-18 months
Old 11-15-2021, 04:04 PM
gatorfast
Pro

But you get all this **** for 5k, and it improves nearly every interaction with your car on a daily basis. PCCB you pay 10k, and get to not look at brake dust. Unless OP is in the 1% of people that actually *need* the improved braking performance, that's literally the only benefit. Unless looking at gold calipers makes you happy -- despite having paid 10k for them, in which case you can't be helped.

If someone really needs better brakes, it's worth looking at brembo big brake kits, which you can get for your base 911 for under 10k.
Dont get me wrong, I am not arguing the value of PCCB. $9k for brakes is a huge amount. But isnt value all relative? Some people value leather everywhere and contrast stitching and a panoramic roof and every luxury option you could pick. Some people want carbon buckets and lightweight glass and the like. Thats the beauty of Porsche, so many options to cater to any desire.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:16 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZeroLoss
I would agree except as mentioned, no S allocations for 12-18 months
Yea that's ... difficult. I waited a similar amount of time for my GTS allocation. Eventually I got it and now am looking at delivery around April 2022. It will be exactly what I want. It will be worth the wait, I hope.

In general I think we place an overly large premium on time; i.e. "I want this NOW". Unless you're 80+, you are probably overvaluing it. Get something fun in the meantime and flip it later. My bridge car -- a 2002 e39 m5 -- is super fun. You can also easily find a used 991 which gives 80% of the pleasure of the incoming 992, which you can flip to the dealer for the 992 when it gets in.

My point is, get what you want; and don't compromise because 12 - 18 months sounds like a long time. It's really not that long.

Quick Reply: Critique my base 992 build - locking in a few days!