Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021 | 04:20 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Default Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?

So, we're now in Q4 - does anyone know when dealers get allocations? Is it monthly or just all at once for the quarter? Is it a particular day of the month? I'm third on the list at my dealer for my particular trim so I'm curious if I should be expecting good news this month.
Old 10-02-2021 | 06:40 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I wouldn’t expect good news. Cars will be hard to come by in Q4. Hopefully, you are pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-02-2021 | 06:47 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Dealer dependent. They are going to be in constant communication with their regional rep and angling for allocations. They should be able to give you some idea of your probability (assuming they aren't playing games).
Old 10-02-2021 | 07:11 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
So, we're now in Q4 - does anyone know when dealers get allocations? Is it monthly or just all at once for the quarter? Is it a particular day of the month? I'm third on the list at my dealer for my particular trim so I'm curious if I should be expecting good news this month.
I heard next week, though would be surprised if your dealer will get 3 allocations for the same trim ,
but keep your fingers crossed
Old 10-02-2021 | 07:32 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by pitt911
I heard next week, though would be surprised if your dealer will get 3 allocations for the same trim ,
but keep your fingers crossed
Yes, it will be hard, but I'm going to choose to remain optimistic. I'm finally working with an SA that sounds competent and the trim I want is a base Carrera with only a small selection of PEM parts, so it should be a little easier to get. If not, there's always next month.
Old 10-02-2021 | 07:52 PM
frankchn
Pro

Yes, it will be hard, but I'm going to choose to remain optimistic. I'm finally working with an SA that sounds competent and the trim I want is a base Carrera with only a small selection of PEM parts, so it should be a little easier to get. If not, there's always next month.
It will be interesting to see what exactly they allocate when there is this much upheaval in the supply chain. If all 911s need a chip, and that chip is in short supply, it would be rational to proportionately more Turbo/GT models since they have a higher margin. That said, the higher end models also require more types of chips, so they might not be able to build them anyway.

In any case, good luck and hope you get an allocation soon!
Old 10-02-2021 | 08:05 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by frankchn
It will be interesting to see what exactly they allocate when there is this much upheaval in the supply chain. If all 911s need a chip, and that chip is in short supply, it would be rational to proportionately more Turbo/GT models since they have a higher margin. That said, the higher end models also require more types of chips, so they might not be able to build them anyway.

In any case, good luck and hope you get an allocation soon!
I'm sure there's many things that go into that calculation. However, I don't buy into the "higher price = higher margin" side. I think most people would be surprised that some of the lower cars can actually have high margins since they have less "complex" components. I don't know this to be true, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turns out that a base has a better margin (both in whole numbers and/or proportionally) than some of the higher models.

Regardless, thanks for the good wishes and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 10-02-2021 | 10:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm sure there's many things that go into that calculation. However, I don't buy into the "higher price = higher margin" side. I think most people would be surprised that some of the lower cars can actually have high margins since they have less "complex" components. I don't know this to be true, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turns out that a base has a better margin (both in whole numbers and/or proportionally) than some of the higher models.

Regardless, thanks for the good wishes and I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
The higher end cars have higher margins.
The following users liked this post:
peterdouglas (10-05-2021)
Old 10-02-2021 | 10:58 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
The higher end cars have higher margins.
Do you have a verifiable source on that? I'd like to see the numbers, I'm not willing to take that as a given. The base has a smaller engine, no fancy wing, less performance options. That's all cost reduction to Porsche while still being within, what, 20K of a GTS??? Don't discount the possibility of base Carreras having a better margin.
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you have a verifiable source on that? I'd like to see the numbers, I'm not willing to take that as a given. The base has a smaller engine, no fancy wing, less performance options. That's all cost reduction to Porsche while still being within, what, 20K of a GTS??? Don't discount the possibility of base Carreras having a better margin.
The high end 911s are 95%+ identical to the base model. Slightly different interior trim, engines and wings don't amount to much additional production expense. The profits go up as the model base price goes up. Ask anyone in the automotive business and they will tell you the exact same thing.
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:15 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
The high end 911s are 95%+ identical to the base model. Slightly different interior trim, engines and wings don't amount to much additional production expense. The profits go up as the model base price goes up. Ask anyone in the automotive business and they will tell you the exact same thing.
Again, I'm looking for verifiable sources and only verifiable sources. The more I hear, "well everyone knows this is true" the more I think I'm right

For example, we all know that the Aerokit has been problematic for Porsche, yet they still produce cars - to me that indicates a supplier dependency, which in turn means less profits. I'll bet you dollars-to-donuts that Porsche does not manufacture it's own Aerokit. So the more components in the car, the more this type of exposure increases. A base model wouldn't suffer from these same profit-losses and might have a higher margin.

Last edited by JiminyGlick; 10-02-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

My understanding, over the years, is that the Turbo S is among their highest margin cars.

Like others have alluded - a maxed out TTS is >2.5x more expensive than a base Carrera. It does not cost Porsche 2.5x more to build a TTS.

I don’t know that there is hard data on that from Porsche.

Last edited by rk-d; 10-03-2021 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:21 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Again, I'm looking for verifiable sources and only verifiable sources. The more I hear, "well everyone knows this is true" the more I think I'm right

For example, we all know that the Aerokit has been problematic for Porsche, yet they still produce cars - to me that indicates a supplier dependency, which in turn means less profits. I'll bet you dollars-to-donuts that Porsche does not manufacture it's own Aerokit. So the more components in the car, the more this type of exposure increases. A base model wouldn't suffer from these same profit-losses and might have a higher margin.
Sorry but you are mistaken. Highend 911s yield much more profit than base models. It is a fact, ask anyone in the car business. They are verifiable sources.
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:23 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Originally Posted by rk-d
My understanding, over the years, is that the Turbo S is among their highest margin cars.

Like others have alluded - a maxed out TTS is >2.5x more expensive than a base Carrera. It does not cause Porsche 2.5x more to build a TTS.

I don’t know that there is hard data on that from Porsche.
Hey, I'm open to being wrong on this. This is one of those "happy to be wrong" scenarios; but unless I see verifiable data, I think there's a possibility that the lower models have a better margin in whole numbers and/or proportion. A lower model would have less third-party components and less complex components - thats a huge cost-savings to Porsche on what is still a six-figure car. I'm in a scientist in real life, so I need to see the data
Old 10-02-2021 | 11:26 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

I’ll bet you dollars to donuts Porsche doesn’t make 95% of the parts that makes a 911.

When you build a house, is it more profitable for the builder if you get a bare bones home, or invite your wife into the design center and start clicking options.

Last edited by shrimp money; 10-02-2021 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know when Q4 allocations come out?